Heavy Arrow Build-Did I Mess Up?

Stalker69

WKR
Let me put this in perspective a bit for some of you folks that only hunt whitetail. I live in a state where I can hunt 4 species of bears, moose, caribou, deer, predators, goat/sheep and some other small game. I also use my same setup to hint whitetail in Minnesota every season. What I'm getting at is just because a light arrow works on your deer doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone. I would never consider going into the woods with anything short of a 500g+ arrow and a proven mech or solid. I agree 700g is a bit silly but it could be just what some people need to ensure success on there hunts.

Btw if everyone told all the stories of the animals that got away I have a feeling heavy arrows with solid heads would be more appealing to most but people don't want to tell you there light arrow going 285fps didn't go through a deer shoulder or lodged in a hip.
I’ve seen as many or more ( actually quite a bit more) animals lost to people using heavy arrows then “ normal” ones. Why, because they think think they can shoot animals any where and at any angle and they are going to kill them. They truly believe they are going to shoot clean through any thing they shoot at, no matter what, or how far, It’s many times a “ false sense of security” they are getting listening to these “ promoters” of heavy arrows and high foc.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
The only issue your addressing is you can't shoot 80+ yards because you don't have a pin for it. I agree with you this is a problem but only if you plan on shooting a animal at 80+ yards and 98% of archery hunters won't do this. If we consider 40yrds as the average long shot a 650g arrow will fly better and hit harder that a 4-500g arrow with a couple more inches of drop and that's just cold hard facts. If your hunting long range then you are a small percentage of the population and a lighter arrow might be just what YOU need. If we were shooting 50yrds max would you choose a 6.5cm or a 338-08?
It depends more on what you are shooting at 50 yards. 338-08 goes pretty far into the powder column if you try to shoot high sd/bc bullets. But as Federal showed with the 338 Federal At 100 yards in you get a higher weight bullet than the 308 and due to the increased barrel volume you enjoy increased velocity as well. All things being equal the 6.5 out of a decent barrel and 308 case is going to make more of a mess on deer size game than the 338 out of a 308 case at 50 yards. Some people hunt with hot 22s. some hunt with 45-70s, both get the job done in a remarkably high swath of situations.
At 80 yards a 490 grain arrow that leaves the bow at 270+ still has enough energy to pass though North American game save for big bear. Im not sure what your "fly better" claim is based on. If you can shoot an arrow in horrible conditions and it flies true and hits square, what more are you wanting from external ballistics?
Ive tested good arrows at that distance and they are still snapping various outserts, half outs, and shattering carbon, bending aluminum on overly hard targets. (stone, concrete, ect)
Long range archery hunters require a balance of weight for carrying momentum for pen and velocity to shorten the time from string to target and to "flatten" the trajectory and limit the time in contact that magnifies a
the archers mistakes. Heavy arrow guys are the "416 Rigby for whitetail" guys. Light high speed arrow guys are the 257 Weatherby.
The guys who choose to balance weight with velocity are the guy hunting with a 30-06. Reasonable is not sexy, but it gets the job done in about any situation you can put it in.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only issue your addressing is you can't shoot 80+ yards because you don't have a pin for it.
Actually, I don't have a pin for anything beyond my 60 pin with that heavy an arrow, as I mentioned originally. But there's definitely something lost in translation here as you're the one that mentioned "I've watched the guys with THP shoot 650+ arrows at long distance and have zero issues". But then you say "If we consider 40yrds as the average long shot".......perhaps that's the disconnect. I don't consider 40 yards to be a "long shot".

I'll shoot somewhere around 12,000 arrows a year, but 99+% of those are at non-living targets, and 95+% of those are at 40-100 yards. Yet the longest shot I've ever taken on a big game animal was 71 yards, and that was my first archery big game kill.

And if we were shooting max 50 yards, I'd choose my bow over a 6.5CM or 338-06.

AkRyan

WKR
Its true a heavier arrow carries more momentum….but when avg weight arrows 450-500g are blowing through elk and big critters….why the extra 150-200g, because some internet influencer says you need it? Ha!

We see evidence everyday that avg arrows perform extremely well on all sorts of game.

500g is heavy to most.

AkRyan

WKR
Did someone really say you need a very heavy arrow as it flies better than an avg weight arrow?

Thats funny….
No nobody said you need anything at all but if you would like to have better arrow flight a heavier arrow will help.

AkRyan

WKR
Actually, I don't have a pin for anything beyond my 60 pin with that heavy an arrow, as I mentioned originally. But there's definitely something lost in translation here as you're the one that mentioned "I've watched the guys with THP shoot 650+ arrows at long distance and have zero issues". But then you say "If we consider 40yrds as the average long shot".......perhaps that's the disconnect. I don't consider 40 yards to be a "long shot".

I'll shoot somewhere around 12,000 arrows a year, but 99+% of those are at non-living targets, and 95+% of those are at 40-100 yards. Yet the longest shot I've ever taken on a big game animal was 71 yards, and that was my first archery big game kill.

And if we were shooting max 50 yards, I'd choose my bow over a 6.5CM or 338-06.
So what is a long shot? It seems your stuck on a single comment I made about a select number of people shooting 60lb draw bows. Check out bowmar and then let's talk.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So what is a long shot? It seems your stuck on a single comment I made about a select number of people shooting 60lb draw bows. Check out bowmar and then let's talk.
I never saw you mention anything about 60lb draw bows, you said "I've watched the guys with THP shoot 650+ arrows at long distance and have zero issues". Then I posted my results with 632gr arrows and not being able to keep enough pins in my sight for long distance shooting (which I would consider an issue with heavy arrows). And then you replied with something about 80+ yards, etc, and here we are. Bowmar???? https://bowmararchery.com/

As for "long range" shots, a specific distance for that is probably different for everyone. I'd probably say 70+.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
Hostile,
Arrow flight is a function of proper form and matching arrow spine to your bow.

You dont have to have an uber heavy arrow to get good arrow flight…millions of target folks do it; light arrows and light tip weight.

Step away from the Youtube Ranch Fairy channel and take a breath- grin

Totally agree ! Can't believe the amount of sheep out there.

AkRyan

WKR
Hostile,

You dont have to have an uber heavy arrow to get good arrow flight…millions of target folks do it; light arrows and light tip weight.

Another misunderstanding. A heavy arrow will resist effects our of your control better than a light arrow. This is a fact that can't be argued. Will it drop more....yes its heavier, will it hit harder....yes its heavier. Im not saying to shoot 600g+ but going out with 400g arrows and expecting them to perform flawlessly is a reach. Watch all the videos you want and compile the facts then come to your own conclusions.

AkRyan

WKR
Hostile,

Would you go hunt with a fat shaft and a target bow with 50lb draw weight?

AkRyan

WKR
I never saw you mention anything about 60lb draw bows, you said "I've watched the guys with THP shoot 650+ arrows at long distance and have zero issues". Then I posted my results with 632gr arrows and not being able to keep enough pins in my sight for long distance shooting (which I would consider an issue with heavy arrows). And then you replied with something about 80+ yards, etc, and here we are. Bowmar???? https://bowmararchery.com/

As for "long range" shots, a specific distance for that is probably different for everyone. I'd probably say 70+.
I didn't mention there bows I just mentioned them. You would have to go watch a few to know what they are using.

Beendare

WKR
Another misunderstanding. A heavy arrow will resist effects our of your control better than a light arrow. This is a fact that can't be argued.
You say a fact....but 100,000 Target archers that in fact use a lighter arrow prove that simply is not true.

Hey, I'm with you, I use an arrow on the heavier side for hunting....but not because I can get it to tune easier, its for a quieter hunting bow.

To claim heavier has a tuning advantage simply is not true. There are guys in Vegas shooting perfect scores with a light arrow. Pros in every archery discipline shooting what we would consider light arrows extremely accurately including the Olympics. If a very heavy arrow..or an arrow with massive FOC gave them any advantage.......then you can bet that every one of those pros would be shooting them- they don't.

An arrow tunes due to the factors I previously mentioned.

Stalker69

WKR
A light arrow will fly great from a properly tuned set up. As will a heavy arrow. You really have to have an extreme differance between what you call light and what you consider heavy. A 100-200 gr. is hardly if at all noticeable in any tests I have tried.( using350-600 gr) At hunting distances, and beyond. Arrow flight is a bigger differance then a few 100 gr's. If you get up to 700- 1500 gr. You will notice a differance. In both flight ( arch) and to a lesser amount penetration.

Last edited:
A heavier arrow is on the bow longer. Which means that anything the shooter induces at or right after the shot the arrow can be affected by.

A heavier arrow might resist wind better, but that doesn't make it more accurate. Just means it can resist external forces in flight better.

A lighter arrow will be pushed by the wind easier, but it's time in flight is shorter, so the time wind has to push it is less.

I don't see many outdoor archers shooting what would be considered heavy arrows. If you are frequently in high winds you might shoot a heavier, skinny shaft with low profile vanes. But generally it's get it there as fast as possible.

Even indoor is changing over to lighter arrows, just for the time on the bow during the shot

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't mention there bows I just mentioned them. You would have to go watch a few to know what they are using.
I don't even know who "they" are, I don't watch many videos.

I'm more of a trial and error kind of guy and like testing stuff. That's where my results come from and how I narrow down "the best" setup and equipment for me.

AkRyan

WKR
You say a fact....but 100,000 Target archers that in fact use a lighter arrow prove that simply is not true.

Hey, I'm with you, I use an arrow on the heavier side for hunting....but not because I can get it to tune easier, its for a quieter hunting bow.

To claim heavier has a tuning advantage simply is not true. There are guys in Vegas shooting perfect scores with a light arrow. Pros in every archery discipline shooting what we would consider light arrows extremely accurately including the Olympics. If a very heavy arrow..or an arrow with massive FOC gave them any advantage.......then you can bet that every one of those pros would be shooting them- they don't.

An arrow tunes due to the factors I previously mentioned.
I never said it has a tuning advantage at all just said it will fly better. Indoor target shooting is about hitting your target and that's it..this is why you don't see levi Morgan hunting with his target setup....