Help picking a new backcountry shoe

Just got back from a scouting trip and decided it’s time for some new footwear. My whole life I have hunted in the backcountry with some sort of heavy full leather danner boot like the pronghorn which I currently have but they have always been to heavy in my opinion. With all this talk of guys using trail runners or some type of lightweight shoe I figured I’d give it a try. So for this last trip I used a pair of Reebok running shoes I had. I really liked how lightweight they were and easy to get around but I constantly had the stickers and foxtails going through them into my socks causing a hell of a time on my feet. So what lightweight trail shoe/boot do you recommend that is lightweight but durable enough to not let anything from the vegetation inside?

Mosby

WKR
I use low cut Altra's for a trail shoe. I just bought the Timp model a couple of weeks ago. This is my third pair and I prefer them over sneakers for my local hiking and walks on gravel roads. Trail shoes have limits IMO. They were really designed for ultra light hiking and carrying relatively light loads. I don't wear them carrying heavy loads and I don't know how they would do with stickers but probably not much better than your sneakers. I wouldn't wear them side hilling either.

I would probably go with a light weight hiking or hunting boots over trail shoes for what you are looking to do. I would look at something like the Salomon Quest 4D, Lowa, anything Crispi or Hanwag hiking boots. Whatever fits best. Another option might be the Irish Setter Vaprtrek, which looks like an ultra light hunting boot.

Last edited:
Man you think a pronghorn is a heavy and durable boot? I can't even wear those lightweight flimsy things.
I hear alot of guys talk about Solomon.
I cant even imagine wearing a shoe in the backcountry.
Imo you cant have lightweight and durable.
Good luck on your search.

Crispi Lapponia’s is the only thing I can think of besides the Salomons that might be worth a try. They may have been discontinued because I couldn’t find many places selling them but they are out there.

Catahoula

WKR
I run the Crispi Nevada currently and just added the Crispi Crossover GTX to try. Lighter than my Nevada’s but not my trail running shoe. And, I do have the Altra TIMP trail shoes and do not wear them in back country. Too risky imo.

I recommend the La Sportiva Akasha for a shoe, and the La Sportiva TX5 GTX for a boot. Both are bomber.

Mcmahonff

FNG
I wear Altra Loan Peak 3.0 mid. I love them, very light weight and mostly water proof. They do seem durable and i have put a few hundred miles on them from day to day use and on the trail and in thick brush too. Combined with pants they do keep most of the crap out of your boots as well. Regularly carry 30-60 pound load for training.

Could use gators when using with shorts in a dirt or sandy area.

TreyPound

FNG
I use Chaco's in the same situation, not ideal but the only thing I've found. The Chaco's are great to have on the trail and at camp, but are also dangerous in rivers. No traction. Please also let me know if you find the perfect balance.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Altras all the way...very comfortable, wide toe box and zero drop platform helps improve stride and overall foot health. Super good option unless your using them in a really wet climate.

OP
BigCountry344
I have it narrowed down to the Inov-8 Roclite 335&345 or the Altra Lone Peak mid rsm. Anyone have experience with any or have a say to go with one or the other?

OP
BigCountry344
Altras all the way...very comfortable, wide toe box and zero drop platform helps improve stride and overall foot health. Super good option unless your using them in a really wet climate.

Any issues with stickers, brush, or any sort of vegetation penetrating through the shoe and sticking in your sock?

I have been happy with my salomon 4ds. They are definitely lightweight compared to danners. They do seem to run narrow so I would stay away or at least try them on first if you have wider feet.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Any issues with stickers, brush, or any sort of vegetation penetrating through the shoe and sticking in your sock?
No problems so far with sticks and stuff sticking in...I'm not one to say it couldn't happen but I've sure never been worried about it. They also have a decent thick sole for sure if you get the lone peaks so I wouldn't be to concerned.

Mcmahonff

FNG

I have not had any issues with toughness or anything poking through. With a pant on I hardly worry about brush and stickers getting in from the top either. With shorts... need their gaitors to keep that crap out and off your socks.

Mike 338

WKR
Summertime a guy can go with a lighter fabric type hiker and a cheap pair of gaiters (Muddy Girl) to keep the stickers out. Shoes may work on trails in the backcountry but I don't see them as a viable option off trail. Just about any light hiker that fits well will work fine although some are tougher than others. Solomon and Lowa have great options but I did just fine with some Hi-Tec's that were way less expensive but they aren't built as well. For later in the season, I'd just go with a full boot.

RCB

WKR
Sounds like you went from one extreme to another: heavy hunting boots to super light weight street running shoes. Why not try something between? I hunted last year in a pair of Merrell Moab Mid GTX, which is a pretty standard hiking / backpacking shoe. Fairly flexible sole but certainly tougher than a running shoe, and at least a pound lighter than my Lowa Caminos. Thorns won't go through it. Worked fine for me, but I didn't spend any time in very tough terrain and didn't cover a lot of miles or encounter much moisture. Won't last many years if you hunt hard, but they are inexpensive. So you might consider something like that.

As for the summer: I've found that hiking off-trail in the summer means coming in contact with a lot of ankle- and knee-high brush because of all the summer growth. Unless I wear pants and a high boot, I invariably get dozens of sticker and thorns stuck in my socks. But being that it's hot and I'm trying to cover ground, I don't want to wear pants and heavy, high boots. The solution I'm trying now is to wear the Moabs with shorts and a pair of gaiters. Should be lighter and cooler than pants + boots, and the gaiters hopefully will keep the stickers out. Sort of how the trail runners do it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have it narrowed down to the Inov-8 Roclite 335&345 or the Altra Lone Peak mid rsm. Anyone have experience with any or have a say to go with one or the other?

I can’t speak to either of the mids. But I regularly run in both the lone peak and roc lites.

I prefer the lone peaks. All the roclites have on them for me is grip. I much prefer the fit of the lone peaks and grip is adequate. The material on the lone peaks is also a tighter weave than the inov8s and let’s in less junk. The lone peaks have a fairly wide toe box, I would suggest trying them on to see if you like them. You will also likely need to adjust to zero drop. The lone peaks simply fit my feet better, they don’t pinch my toes going down like the narrower roclites do.

I personally can’t backpack off trail with trail runners. I train all year in them, with and without weight, on trails. I will also backpack with them on trail only. On top of that I trail run around 3x a week all spring, summer and fall on fairly technical trails. My feet still cannot take being off trail, loaded down with a trail runner. Worst is side hilling where the flexible shoe wants to roll. For that reason if I’m going off trail I wear a burly boot, my personal choice is kenetrek.

Moving to training and regularly using minimal trail runners makes wearing a boot feel like cheating. Ankle rolling is a thing of the past for me since I got into trail running