HELP!!! scope

moxiejh

FNG
i have a weatherby 30-378 with a S&B 6x42 on it. My question is if i want to shoot 5-700 yards would you compromise for a vortex PST and loose quality but gain the range or stick with what I got??

HellsCanyon do you know where to find the best deal?

PST's are a pretty long lead time from vortex right now to dealers but I'm sure there are a few people who have them in stock. I'd look at elknut.com or libertyoptics, or Doug at cameralandny.com (site sponsor).

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Mike,

The PST is well suited for your uses. I think Doug just put out an email that Cameralandny had some in stock...

Shrek

WKR
Doug did and he had an open box special from when the vortex rep was there last month. I just got my new scope from cameralandny and I'm very happy with the price and they are pleasant to deal with. Shipped out the day I ordered it.

Shrek

WKR
Not for the range you are talking about. The swarovski z5 scopes are great scopes and you will not run out of elevation at 700 yards with the 1" tube. I had myself tied in knots over all this but went with a Swarovski z3 4-12x50 BRH for distance to absolute max of 800 yards for me . The quality of the glass and tube are as good as it gets and the BRH reticle is an easy one to learn and super quick to use in the field. The parallax focus is nice but at the ranges you and I are talking about not indispensable. I saved the weight and cost. Check out the BRH reticle and search the optics thread here and find all the threads where it's discussed.

OP
M

moxiejh

FNG
would you have gone with the z5 if it wasnt for the extra money? what are the draw backs to the model i listed?

Shrek

WKR
Btw , 800 yards is a very long shot in the field. You see guys shooting rocks and stuff at longer ranges but when it's an animal and it's a cold bore , no warmup practice shots even the best start to real in the max range. It takes a lot of practice and knowledge along with the best equipment to be proficient on game at 1000 yards. If you are working on what scope to buy then you don't need to even think about a shot past 600 to 700 yards this season. You couldn't afford to practice enough before then. Get a rig you can afford in a caliber that isn't too expensive to shoot and practice , practice , practice. By the time you are ready for field shots on game past 800 yards you will be giving advice and buying with total confidence in what it takes. The max range for game is the max range you can drill every time after hiking around then sliding the rifle out , range and fire . No warm up shot , no bench , just toss down the pack , range , call the wind , call the angle and compensate and pull the trigger and hit it every time in boring fashion. I know for me that that range is way , way , way , under 800 yards in most all conditions. Level terrain , no wind , great rest postion , plenty of time to think and I might take an 800 yard shot but probably not.

Shrek

WKR
would you have gone with the z5 if it wasnt for the extra money? what are the draw backs to the model i listed?

Money was an issue so I haven't thought about it. Off the top of my head I'd say not. Heavier , more magnification than I need and not enough elevation for a time down the road when I do want to go long. 3-18×50 z6 would be a better long range hunting scope imo. 30mm tube and all usable magnification range in field use. My compromise choice was the z3 4-12x50 BRH but thats my compromise. I will have a really big eye in the future but it's pointless at this point in my hunting and shooting. I picked a solid scope for 600 yards and less that could be pushed under ideal circumstances to 800 yards. Thats the real world limits of my sporter weight , short action 7mm wsm. Anything more and I get into really marginal shots that I have no business trying on an animal.

OP
M

moxiejh

FNG
Shrek i appreciate the ethics advice for sure. I will have all the tools i need to make a 700 yard shot with only the finest tuned equipment including a custom built weatherby 30-378 with precise tuned custom ammo and your right i can t afford to shoot it alot because its 8 bucks a round! But i will be prepared for the worst and hope for the best which will be a 200 yard broadside shot at 10 am but if that 400 class bull steps out at 550 at day break you better bet your ass ill have the stuff to make a shot. My sworo el range will give me angle comp for range and i will dial and sqeeze! i think i will go with the z5 ballistic turret 5-25 because i like the field of view on it and i i feel the windage may be useful and with a second fp it will be at max power when dealing with the windage marks so i need not worry about that. Thanks for the responses they were helpful

Sunspot

WKR
Not for the range you are talking about. The swarovski z5 scopes are great scopes and you will not run out of elevation at 700 yards with the 1" tube. I had myself tied in knots over all this but went with a Swarovski z3 4-12x50 BRH for distance to absolute max of 800 yards for me . The quality of the glass and tube are as good as it gets and the BRH reticle is an easy one to learn and super quick to use in the field. The parallax focus is nice but at the ranges you and I are talking about not indispensable. I saved the weight and cost. Check out the BRH reticle and search the optics thread here and find all the threads where it's discussed.
Just got the same scope for a demo deal of $850 from camerlandny. What a sweet, LIGHT scope.

Sunspot

WKR
Sunspot , yes it is ! Same deal I bought and I can't find a mark on it. Great deal on a great scope :).
I was checking out the Zeiss HD5 Conquest for roughly the same price...what a boat anchor. Compared to the Swaro it would be like mounting a brick. lol Maybe it is just me but I feel Zeiss has made a mistake with the Conquest line. That used to be a great scope for the money but it seems like it is getting away from its roots.

Shrek

WKR
I don't see the conquest hd 5 ' s being a big hit with the hunting crowd with the weight penalty they bring. I like my new swarovski just fine at 14.5 oz.