300wsm vs 7prc vs 7rem mag?

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
My big thing is wanting a heavier more stable rifle for farther shots as well as a faster twist for heavier higher bcs rounds. My NULA Colt has a 1-10 so I'm fairly limited. I'm thinking that rifle will get rebarreled to something smaller as well one of these days
I need to try some 170gr in my 7 mag. It performs well with 140 and 162, it might not do too bad with the 175's.

180ls1

WKR
7prc is the easy button here. Encompassing factory and hand loads its probably going to be the best balance.

If you have to ask... run from that 30/378.

Is it me or does the 7RM seem a little more versatile? Being it can run the 139 gr and up to 175-180? vs the 7 PRC only have 2-3.....speaking of factory loadings, not handloading.....and will they ever be able to run the 140-150 in the 7 PRC? Just started looking at all the data in the last few days....tks

180ls1

WKR
Is it me or does the 7RM seem a little more versatile? Being it can run the 139 gr and up to 175-180? vs the 7 PRC only have 2-3.....speaking of factory loadings, not handloading.....and will they ever be able to run the 140-150 in the 7 PRC? Just started looking at all the data in the last few days....tks

What is the advantage though? The 7 PRC is pushing the 160-180's all around 3,000 with high BC bullets. Thats *perfect* in my book.

What is the advantage though? The 7 PRC is pushing the 160-180's all around 3,000 with high BC bullets. Thats *perfect* in my book.
Oh I see your point, Im just thinking in my little brain how everyone keeps comparing the 7RM and 7PRC and how similar they are yet their is a big gap in the bullet weights they each run, and I know it depends on twist rate etc. I guess Im just trying to convince myself to go from my 7RM to 7PRC lol. Thanks.

180ls1

WKR
Oh I see your point, Im just thinking in my little brain how everyone keeps comparing the 7RM and 7PRC and how similar they are yet their is a big gap in the bullet weights they each run, and I know it depends on twist rate etc. I guess Im just trying to convince myself to go from my 7RM to 7PRC lol. Thanks.

Ah, if I had a 7 mag (you) I'm keeping it. If needing to buy because I dont have one, I'd grab the 7prc instead. Same with 300wm/300prc.

kpk

WKR
My big thing is wanting a heavier more stable rifle for farther shots as well as a faster twist for heavier higher bcs rounds. My NULA Colt has a 1-10 so I'm fairly limited. I'm thinking that rifle will get rebarreled to something smaller as well one of these days

Most guys have no issues shooting light rifles off packs at typical hunting distances. I practice to 400 pretty regularly and farther when possible, and have no issue shooting animals that far. My last antelope was off my pack and bino harness at a touch over 400. I shot quite a bit before this season to be confident in myself and gear at extended range and then ended up shooting my elk at 160 yards.

Personally, there's not much that makes me desire to haul a heavier rifle around in the mountains.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I asked this on a another thread but didn't get any take. Maybe I'm missing in searches but removing factory ammo availability from the equation what makes something like a prc easier to reload for vs a belted magnum? With the RM once initially fired brass is HS off the shoulder like any other round and the belt is ignored right? With the PRC there's click issues unless you run a special reamer (going factory rifle so not an option).

If twist rates are equal and youre reloading and have the magwell and throat to support appropriate coal Which one is easier to live with and why is my big question?

NickT406

FNG
Classified Approved
I asked this on a another thread but didn't get any take. Maybe I'm missing in searches but removing factory ammo availability from the equation what makes something like a prc easier to reload for vs a belted magnum? With the RM once initially fired brass is HS off the shoulder like any other round and the belt is ignored right? With the PRC there's click issues unless you run a special reamer (going factory rifle so not an option).

If twist rates are equal and youre reloading and have the magwell and throat to support appropriate coal Which one is easier to live with and why is my big question
Brass life will most likely be little better with the prc because of the belt on the 7 rem mag making it harder to full length size down to the belt.(cases are known to bulge around belt)

I currently own a Christenson Mesa FFT in 7 prc and a Tikka 7 rem mag.
The 7 prc is a tack driver and the 7 mag is a tack driver.
The Tikka cycles alot smoother and is easier to stay in the gun and get follow up shots when need.

I ran the ballistics of the 180 eldm with non inflated muzzle velocity out of my 22" barrel mesa compared to the 162 eldm out of my 20" barrel 7 rem mag. At 800 yards the 180 has 100 ft lbs more energy and velocity is a wash. (I see no difference for hunting situations)

All of my buddies are Tikka fanboys so for the past 5 years I went against the grain and tinkered with 700 clones and savages. I always felt like there was something to be desired with every gun (feeding reliably, bolt throw angle, triggers freezing in - degree weather).

In my conclusion I have wasted thousands of dollars on hunting rifles and I finally ended up with a 243 win 8 twist Tikka and a 7 rem mag to finish off the set and I am satisfied. They just work how they are supposed to.

(Side note) I owned a 300 wsm in a Savage and loved the accuracy and the efficiency of that round but couldn't deal with the feeding. The second round in the clip would never feed reliably.

I have a tikka 300wsm (semi custom all carbon). The only negative on it is I hate the safety. I had a savage model 10 long range .308… had issues and sold it. I now own a savage wolverine 450 bushy as it was better than the ruger American 450. I haven’t gotten it sighted in yet as it’s shooting super super low with a few different scopes (I need a new mount/rings). Long story short, the tikka is superior.
The 7PRC is the perfect cartridge for elk & deer imo. It’s a lazer beam and shoots heavy and light enough bullets for both elk and deer. I love my 300wsm but I had it made like 6 months prior to the 7prc coming out and without a doubt I would have gotten the 7prc if it was out at that point. My main deer rifle is a 7rem and I’ve never had an issue with accuracy or recoil. On the 300 I use a brake and it kicks less than my sons 6.5 creed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of good input here. I would agree that if you already have a 7mm rem mag, only reason to switch to 7PRC would be if you wanted a new rifle. Same thing with 300 win mag vs 300PRC. The PRC rounds are updated versions.

All that said, if looking for a general do it all North America rifle, I am personally leaning toward that 7mm bullets in a 1:8 twist barrel. I do not think the 7 PRC is going away, and it will remain popular for a long time. That said, the 280ai would be the second cartridge I would consider and I feel the 7PRC popularity will also drive the 280ai to be even more popular.

It will handle up to 168s just as well as the 7PRC (with a 1:8 twist), and will handle lighter bullets for pronghorn, deer, etc. a little better. With a 160 CX, the 280ai is within 30fps of the 7PRC, with a 162 ELD-X it is 50, and a 168 VLD it is within 70. The issue becomes seating depths when you get to the 175 ELD-X where the the 280ai is 130 fps lower.

If you handload and are building a custom rifle, these change a bit with the 280ai being even more versatile and easier to handload. Longer barrel life, less kick, long brass life, etc.

NM-F250

FNG
IMHO:
7 PRC if don't reload. If you do, you can make your 7RM do just about anything a 7 PRC will do. The 300 WSM is an interesting option. If you decide to go that route, I'd suggest doing it in a long action and throated for something like a 215gr. Berger.

I’m looking at setting up a new rifle for long range elk and mule deer and trying to decide on caliber. What caliber would yall recommend? I’m currently leaning towards 7prc because of turn key options with regards to ammo and barrel twist. My other options I’m thinking of would be 300wsm or 7mm rem mag (I’m partial to 7rem mag as I have 3 of them but fast twist factory barrels and heavy leather added ammo is less available). One way out there option would be a 30-378 weatherby as I have a buddy with one that keeps bugging me to take it off his hands.

Has anyone had experience with the new savage trail hunter yet? Looks rather promising if it’s dropped into a decent stock/ chassis for $550 street price.
I have a Seekins PH2 in 300 PRC and have been really happy with it. Killed a nice bull and some deer with it. With that said, I’m about to start accumulating parts for a 7 PRC build.

Shortz

FNG
6.5 PRC all day. Hornady has put a fair amount of time and money into their new line of cartridges.

ElkTycoon

FNG
I’ve got a Seekins 7 rem mag and am incredibly happy with it. Shooting sub 5 inch groups at 1000 yards with that rifle and hand loads. It’s got an 8 twist barrel and it looks like they’ve pushed the throat out a bit too. PRC same thing to me… differences with the 7 mag are insignificant in a proper twist/throat rifle. I choose 7mag to get better brass life at the same velocity as the PRC.

I love the 300wsm, but it won’t compete with the 7mag/prc at long range. 7mm wins for trajectory, wind drift, and energy (all 3 combined) out to 1000 yards.

jk_minn

FNG
I am going through this same process. If you are buying a factory rifle and/or buying factory ammo, 7 PRC is probably the way to go.

If you are going the custom route, don't overlook the 300 WSM in a medium or long action. Easy to tune cartridge if you are handloading. Ballistics of 300 WSM with 200+ gr bullets are very similar to the 7mms Mags.

I have a 7 Rem mag - was wanting a 7 PRC, so I didn't have to deal with a belted cartridge, then got convinced to do the 300 WSM.

If twist rates are equal and youre reloading and have the magwell and throat to support appropriate coal Which one is easier to live with and why is my big question?
7PRC will be easier to reload. As @NickT406 said, belted magnums bulge above the belt which causes full length sizing issues. You can get a Reloading Technologies Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die to address this issue, but that's another expense and reloading step you don't need with non-belted cartridges like the 7PRC.

I was thinking this too with the 7RM when I started. In reality it wasn't worth the aggravation to me. With light bullets in the 7RM the %fill isn't ideal with many powders and the longer powder column, and you waste a lot of powder. Used 7-08's are pretty cheap and I found it made more sense to modify one and have a lightweight 7-08 for the light bullets than bother with them in a 26" 7RM.

BTW that's another reason for the more efficient 7PRC if you're starting from scratch, similar performance in shorter barrel length than the 7RM.

Last edited: