300wsm vs 7prc vs 7rem mag?

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at setting up a new rifle for long range elk and mule deer and trying to decide on caliber. What caliber would yall recommend? I’m currently leaning towards 7prc because of turn key options with regards to ammo and barrel twist. My other options I’m thinking of would be 300wsm or 7mm rem mag (I’m partial to 7rem mag as I have 3 of them but fast twist factory barrels and heavy leather added ammo is less available). One way out there option would be a 30-378 weatherby as I have a buddy with one that keeps bugging me to take it off his hands.

Has anyone had experience with the new savage trail hunter yet? Looks rather promising if it’s dropped into a decent stock/ chassis for $550 street price.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
I would avoid a 30-378. Had one and the cost of ammo was prohibitive. 7PRC would be my choice. I am about to sell my 300SAUM to order a 7PRC as soon as MGM will chamber to it.

Your buddy is bugging you to take it off his hands for a reason. If the rifle is nice you could always buy it and rebarrel to 7prc, 300wsm, or 300prc.

7prc is the easy button.
ADG and Peterson brass available
Factory ammo easily attained

I would do 300prc over 300wsm for pretty much the same reasons as the 7prc above.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Your buddy is bugging you to take it off his hands for a reason. If the rifle is nice you could always buy it and rebarrel to 7prc, 300wsm, or 300prc.

7prc is the easy button.

I would do 300prc over 300wsm for pretty much the same reasons as the 7prc above.
Only reason I was considering it is I know it would come with 10 or so boxes of ammo (all 150-180gr if I remember right which isn’t the greatest) . But yes the recoil/ muzzle blast is why he wants out of it and why I’m not super interested in it either.

Only reason I was considering it is I know it would come with 10 or so boxes of ammo (all 150-180gr if I remember right which isn’t the greatest) . But yes the recoil/ muzzle blast is why he wants out of it and why I’m not super interested in it either.
Do yourself a favor and let him sell it to someone else.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I know everyone has a bias for tikka round here but is there anything wrong with savages? I used to have a strong bias against them but then I won a wood stocked axis in a raffle and it’s the most accurate rifle I own by far. The finish is also holding up way better after a 5yrs than the blued wood stock tikka I had in the pickup before it.

I know everyone has a bias for tikka round here but is there anything wrong with savages? I used to have a strong bias against them but then I won a wood stocked axis in a raffle and it’s the most accurate rifle I own by far. The finish is also holding up way better after a 5yrs than the blued wood stock tikka I had in the pickup before it.
This is why we love Tikkas

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Salvage generally shoot well but they feel like crap, feed like crap and almost universally have ejection issues. There's better rifles available for a similar price point.
Can you point me in the direction of similar price point rifles with similar features and aftermarket support chambered in 7prc? I haven’t seen anything asides from go wild Ruger but basically no one makes a chassis or better stock from what I’ve found.

Can you point me in the direction of similar price point rifles with similar features and aftermarket support chambered in 7prc? I haven’t seen anything asides from go wild Ruger but basically no one makes a chassis or better stock from what I’ve found.
In my semi amateur opinion I'd go Ruger American as is over a Salvage in any configuration, chassis or no.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Another 7PRC vote out of your choices. Bergara makes a good rifle but heavy for a factory gun. Run a 175 in it, and watch the magic happen. I'd avoid that savage rifle.

Wrench

WKR

7prc is the easy button.

He'd have to stick to .579" case head family or bush the bolt.

Wrench

WKR
Any of the stuff listed will take you to the limits of your scope on a 20moa rail.