Help with 15s

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for a set of 15x56. I live in the east and have had a pair of Swarovski slc 10x42 for the past 18 years and have been very happy with them. I have expanded my hunting to western Kansas whitetails and CO mule deer and elk and am wanting a step up from the 10x42. I already have a full Outdoorsmans tripod set up so I’m good there. I’m thinking my budget is around $1500 and am looking at Swarovski and Meaopta at this point. From what I can gather I can go new Meaopta for used non HD Swarovski for that price range. I am looking for opinions between those 2 options. Or, do I need to find the extra $700 to get the HD Swarovski?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a pair of Leica Geovid 15 x 56 HD Rangefinder binoculars for about 11 years. They are very decent optically and offer the rangefinder built in. The main drawback I see vs the 15 x 56 SLCs is a narrower field of view with the Geovids in actual field comparisons on a sheep count a couple years ago. I use my Geovids at the house to look at sheep, deer, bears, etc on a big tripod, as well as for truck and ATV glassing wide open country. I don't pack them into the back country as I need a spotter..YMMV.

I've seen the Geovids for sale brand new for $1500. Just an option vs Swaros which are excellent glass. Good luck!

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
This is completely unscientific, but I had my current model 8x42 slc and my 15x56 meopta meostar hd out on Father’s Day, in the afternoon . The 15x meopta was picking up a lot more glare than the 8x slc.

I know that magnification also magnifies flaws or difficult conditions, but I was pretty convinced a 15x slc would not have been so washed out with glare.

I am going to take my meoptas to the local store to compare with the slc 15’s.

Last edited:
Can’t argue with going Swarovski if you can afford it. Look at Mavens in you want to stay around the $1500 mark, incredible glass for the price.

Get the newest version slc HD.
Good deals in classifieds come up fairly often. Or call cameraland for new.

No disappointments.

No what ifs

Money in the bank if you ever need to sell.

Ratbeetle

WKR
I know you didn't ask about Maven, but I'm very impressed with my 18s. Had them out yesterday glassing for sheep. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but I can't see how Swaro 15s could be that much better to justify the extra grand.

skierhs

WKR
I ran the swaro 15x for many years and wouldn’t switch to another pair of 15x. I sold mine right before the NL came out. You can find the HD on the forums at a good deal and I doubt you’d have to spend the extra 700 to find a pair. Having 10x and 15x makes a huge difference and you’ll love the extra magnification (assuming your running a tripod).

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I know you are between Swaro and Meopta but also consider the Zeiss conquest 15x56. I was in a similar predicament a few years back and almost went that route. You can find them on here from time to time below $1500.