Help with Tikka T1x

Dave_S

FNG
I have a T1x thats been having issues extracting and ejecting. I'm only at around 1000 rounds through it, and I have seen folks around other parts of the internet talking about ejecting issues with the older wire-style ejector, but haven't seen much about the newer one. After reading some of those posts, I decided to shave a little metal from the extractor with the intention of increasing extractor pressure, but that made no difference. I have reached out to Beretta, but have yet to here back. Seeing as how rokslide seems to be the central repository for Tikka know-how, I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
Is this happening with multiple types of ammo? I can't use winchester subsonics. 100% failure to extract. Everything else, aguila, federal, remington, no problem.

wesfromky

WKR
I get failure to feed issues with mine if I try to load more than 8 of the heavier subsonics in a mag at a time. Might be worth trying different ammo.

Lawnboi

WKR
I probably have one in fifty fail to eject with the new blade extractor in a 22lr.

Pay enough attention that I’m ready to tip it to dump the spent at matches.

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
Issues are with all ammo I’ve tried. Everything from cheap CCI, up to and included fancy Lapua. The ejection issue is annoying, the extraction issue is more of a pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

low2497

FNG
I'm having the same issues with ejection on the newer blade style extractor. I've been searching for a fix with no luck. Hopefully someone here can help out.

I'd say about 30% of spent cases end up being left on top of the magazine.

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Have you disassembled and cleaned the bolt? I've noticed a lot of wax/lube/carbon can build up on the face of the bolt and particularly near the extractor. The only time I've observed failures to extract or eject on my T1x was when my friend was shooting it and wasn't cycling the bolt fully. You could also try and make sure the chamber is clean.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I will say the newer ejector blade requires a bit more purpose when running the bolt back than the old style wire ejector.
Yes

My kid has almost no FTE, I have one about every 2 or 3 mags. She flicks the bolt back quicker or something,

Tilting the gun to dump the case works but is s bitch if you are on bipod. Typically I just cycle the bolt back again and eject a new round with the empty and it clears it. Cci sv, Eley, Lapua Cx, all does it - it’s not the ammo. Pain in the ass.

Shmidt 5 round mag extensions are vital so I still have enough if I have a FTE and cycle the bolt to clear.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
My t1x sometimes wont grab an unspent round out of the chamber. The only way I can find to get it out is to fire the round, and then it'll grab the spent shell. That's annoying.

sndmn11

WKR
Are you guys talking about a failure to extract, or a failure to eject?

I have never cleaned ours and it has to have a few thousand through it. I think we have had one or two failures to extract when @KickinNDishin was shooting and I am unsure if I remember any while I was shooting.

We don't do anything sporty with it, and dropping the mag then a firm close of the bolt has pulled the case without issue. I just chalked it up to a dirty gun and cheap ammo.

I bought this one in 2021/2022 the same week that it came in stock, so I assume it was manufactured shortly before then rather than being old stock.

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
I'm having the same issues with ejection on the newer blade style extractor. I've been searching for a fix with no luck. Hopefully someone here can help out.

I'd say about 30% of spent cases end up being left on top of the magazine.

Yep, that’s where mine end up when they don’t eject.

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
Have you disassembled and cleaned the bolt? I've noticed a lot of wax/lube/carbon can build up on the face of the bolt and particularly near the extractor. The only time I've observed failures to extract or eject on my T1x was when my friend was shooting it and wasn't cycling the bolt fully. You could also try and make sure the chamber is clean.

I have fully disassembled the bolt, cleaned and lubricated. Cleaned the chamber as well. Neither fixed it.

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
Are you guys talking about a failure to extract, or a failure to eject?

I have never cleaned ours and it has to have a few thousand through it. I think we have had one or two failures to extract when @KickinNDishin was shooting and I am unsure if I remember any while I was shooting.

We don't do anything sporty with it, and dropping the mag then a firm close of the bolt has pulled the case without issue. I just chalked it up to a dirty gun and cheap ammo.

I bought this one in 2021/2022 the same week that it came in stock, so I assume it was manufactured shortly before then rather than being old stock.

I, unfortunately, am talking about both.

OP
D

Dave_S

FNG
Update: I heard back from Beretta last night. Ship the rifle to them for inspection with a current lead time of 6-8 weeks. And I'll be on the hook for shipping if they determine it's not eligible for coverage under warranty. Considering that I have already made alterations to the extractor to try to fix this...I'm sure I know how that's going to go.

That being said, this gave me the courage to go ahead and grind away more of the extractor. What's the worst that could happen? Got a box of SK Long Range Match through it today without any issues extracting. I don't know if it's fixed, but I am cautiously optimistic. I'm sure if it's not, I'll find out on Sunday at my next match.

You guys who have also have also had ejecting issues: Are you running a picatinny rail on top? I feel like an idiot, but it only occurred to me today that my rail blocks a substantial amount of the ejection port on the top. I wonder if some of that brass that's landing on top of my magazine would clear if I took a dremel to that thing.

11Justin22

Lil-Rokslider
Only extraction issues I've had were with wolf. Everything else (sk st.+,sk match,sk long range, lapua center x, cci) extracts fine. I do occasionally have ejection issues and the spent case stays in top of the mag as others above stated. Seems to be better if I keep the bolt clean and didn't baby it. Never had any issues with it in a match where I'm working it hard but do occasionally when I'm in the bench.

low2497

FNG
Update: I heard back from Beretta last night. Ship the rifle to them for inspection with a current lead time of 6-8 weeks. And I'll be on the hook for shipping if they determine it's not eligible for coverage under warranty. Considering that I have already made alterations to the extractor to try to fix this...I'm sure I know how that's going to go.

That being said, this gave me the courage to go ahead and grind away more of the extractor. What's the worst that could happen? Got a box of SK Long Range Match through it today without any issues extracting. I don't know if it's fixed, but I am cautiously optimistic. I'm sure if it's not, I'll find out on Sunday at my next match.

You guys who have also have also had ejecting issues: Are you running a picatinny rail on top? I feel like an idiot, but it only occurred to me today that my rail blocks a substantial amount of the ejection port on the top. I wonder if some of that brass that's landing on top of my magazine would clear if I took a dremel to that thing.
I am using an Area419 pic rail on mine. I’ll pay better attention to that next time I have it out.

Can I get more details on the modifications you made to the extractor?

Lawnboi

WKR

I’m using an area 419 rail. I’ll look to see if cases are hitting, it should be noticeable.

Worse case you can buy a new extractor, they are available.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are you shooting suppressed? My t1x gets absolutely filthy towards the end of the winter ptarmigan season from shooting with a silencer. It really comes back to life with a good cleaning.