Tikka Ejection Problem

Hey guys,

I put together a new rifle a couple months ago with the following specs:

New Tikka T3x action
22” Proof Sendero contour 1-8 twist
Allterra stock pillar and glass bedded
Unknown Munitions rings
Chambered in 7 PRC

I didn’t have time to hand load any ammo before hunting season so I’m shootings the 180 gr Hornady match ammo. It has a few kills under its belt this fall, a couple of those were pretty far out there.

Now on to my problem, it only ejects about 50% of the time. When it does eject, the case barely makes it out of the action. Extraction is fine. I have removed the ejector and extractor, cleaned and inspected them. No obvious issues with those, no burs etc. I filed on the notch in the ejection plunger to increase the plunger protrusion slightly. This made a very slight improvement but still unacceptable. I also tried putting a small spacer under the ejector spring to increase spring pressure but that also only made a slight difference. Anybody had similar issues? Or have any ideas as to what I should try next?

Attachments

• EAAD8FE1-089A-4AA2-9DE7-9B7B8AC166E0.jpeg
    EAAD8FE1-089A-4AA2-9DE7-9B7B8AC166E0.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 149
try working the bolt faster. I have nearly the same set up with a PRC ( same scope, low mounted rings). If i work the bolt slow, sometimes the rounds hit the windage and fall in, but that never happends if i sweep the bolt to the rear with adequate speed.

For next season you can have LRI put in a dual extractor.

OP
B
I’ve ran the bolt fast, slow and in between, that doesn’t seem to make a difference. Running the bolt slow and watching the brass it seems like hitting the turret could be the issue some of the time but not always. Removing the scope should tell the tale, I’ll try that next. I may also order a new extractor and ejector set just for good measure.

Thanks for the input.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Could be the extractor grips the case too tight and is a touch out of spec.

I would see if the scope is the culprit.
Then replace the ejector and spring.
Then replace the extractor, or lightly sand the underside of it.

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
@buckman300 Any update to your ejection issue? I'll be running a similar setup in 6.5 PRC and would like to know what to look for.

I would guess it is hitting the windage cap as well. Either that, or that front ring looks like it might be back far enough that it is somewhat blocking the front of the ejection port.

I had the same issue on my .338 Sherman Mega with a T3 action and a Tract scope. Had to mount it in a little higher rings and reposition it a bit for it not to hit.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Have you tried it without a scope mounted? Is it possible brass is hitting your windage knob and bouncing back into the chamber?
My SWFA fixed 6 did this to my Tikka this morning. Luckily the deer was DRT. Going to take the knob off and rig something up as a cover.

OP
B
I considered that the ring could be obstructing the ejection port but while watching it that didn’t seem like the issue. Unfortunately, I’m trying to finish up a couple construction projects before the snow hits here in Wyoming so I haven’t had a chance to mess with it any further. The more I think about it the more I think the windage cap is the problem. May have to go to taller rings which is real bummer as these create a perfect cheek weld for me.

gbflyer

WKR
Avoiding the dreaded windage knob case strike is one of the very few benefits of being a lefty shooter.

Have you tried sliding the scope forward more? I’d try that before going to higher rings. I fought the same thing with my credo.

gclubb02

FNG
My SWFA fixed 6 did this to my Tikka this morning. Luckily the deer was DRT. Going to take the knob off and rig something up as a cover.
What did you use as a cover? Having the same issue with my tikka and swfa 3-9 and want to sort it out before deer season.

TexLuke

FNG
I’ve had the brass deflecting off windage turret issue with an SWFA SS 3-15 mounted on a Tikka CTR . I ended up swapping out the scope.

Here‘s some reading on removing and capping windage turrets on SS scopes…

gclubb02

FNG
Haven’t yet. Cycle the bolt with a bit more force/quickly and it doesn’t do it often.
Gotcha i did notice that there was like a sweet spot for bolt speed to get it to eject faster the better but too fast didnt work every time. i think im gonna sand the knurled part of the turret knob off to me it looked like the neck of the case was catching the lip of the knurl just right to kick it back in. If that was smooth id have to imagine itll glance off of it instead of bouncing back. Had no issues at all when i had the turret knob off so worst case would be finding a way to cap that off

Tod osier

WKR

gclubb02

FNG
A vinyl cap works well, I'd give you a link but the ones I used are not available. There are fairly recent threads that had currently available products at the time.

20 Pack - 7/8" (.875") inch Round Black Rubber/Vinyl Folding Chair Leg caps
Thanks for that! The only thing i dont like about that is if I’m on a hunt and check zero and need to adjust or something then im sorta SOL. Or im gonna be carrying the turret knob around and chance losing it. So I’m hoping that getting rid of knurls takes care of the ejection issue so that the scope is still 100% functional. Still plenty of turret to grab ahold of and spin without the knurls.