Help with vintage Saeco single stage press

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider

I have have a question about this old Saeco single stage reloading press I recently came across. I'm guessing an old school, hardcore reloader may be able to help.

I've been using a Lee Loader for years, and planned to step up to a press this year. I can get this press, plus the powder measure, scale and an old reloading manual for 22 bucks. Sounds like a great deal, but I'm not sure if I can use the press. It has a .7mm die and a shell holder in the box. But I run a .308.

I didn't know if the thread pattern of reloading dies was universal, but I understand now that it is. So I should be able to pick up a set of RCBS or Lee or whatever and get going. Except I'd need a shell holder for the .308. As I've been led to understand, this old press (which is supposedly 1950s era) most likely has a proprietary shell holder and I'd have to get an adapter, if such an animal exists, in order to use a new RCBS or Lee shell holder.

So, does anyone have experience with these old presses or have a good direction to steer me in. I've been doing internet searches, but haven't turned up much besides one other press like it that was recently offered on eBay but didn't get any bids. I'd love to get this old thing up and running and make bullets with it in time for elk season.

Brings back some old memories of ppc shooting back in the 1970's. A group of us guys would get together and cast bullets using saeco luber/ sizer. It was a quality cast iron tool that is still usable but long stored in bil garage. Not familiar with their reloading press. The pic looks like it to be comparible to a lee press. Would work for some normal/lightweight chores. If you are going to get into higher volume or case forming it will not have the ass of say a rockchucker

rayporter

WKR
you say 7 mm dies. but that dont tell us much as there are lots of 7mm cartridges. the shell holder in it may fit your cartridge.

OP
huntin'monkey

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
The shell holder in the press was too big for .308, but it turns out that there was another shell holder in the bottom of the old case, that fits perfectly.It's the one on the right, which is good because it doesn't look like you could drop a modern shell holder in

Shell%20holders.jpg
Shell%20holders%20side.jpg

I picked up the whole lot and a set of RCBS dies, which do thread in when I take on the long set screw that runs behind the die. I think the set screw was used to set the length of stroke when using these little stubby dies that where with it. It's weird that the sizing die says 30, which I would imagine corresponds to some .30 cal round, and the seating die is 7mm.

Dies%20lenghtwise.jpg

Dies.jpg

I have never used a full sized press before, so I was surprised that the RCBS sizing die bottoms out instead of screwing all the way down. But it does screw down enough that the primer punching pin contacts a little rod inside the ram (just below the shell holder). The seating die screws in deep enough to touch the shell holder before bottoming out (I know you don't want to set it that deep). Here's a picture of the sizing die screwed all the way in.

Die%20in%20press.jpg

I have about 10 neck-sized and primed cases that I'd set up with my Lee Loader. I think I'll fill them with powder and try to seat some 180 grain Winchester soft points what I use for practice ammo and see how it goes.

Using some of this old stuff is kind of like driving my 1973 VW thing, its a hoot for tooling around town but if we need to go cross country the ford diesel gets the nod.....

OP
huntin'monkey

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Nice analogy, but I don't think it fits here. All a single stage press does is push a case up into a die. Doesn't matter how old the press is, if it's solid and tracks correctly, it will do the job. If it's too flexible, has too much play in the hinging areas, or is out of alignment, you'll have problems. This old press is rock solid and cams smoothly. I'm using brand new modern dies, so if I can get the correct adjustment, it should make perfectly serviceable rounds.

nothing against your press. it will serve you well doing its job for many years. and your proudest moment will be when you post up a pic of a critter you killed with a reload using it. just sayin as with any tool it has its limitations. like a dillon 550 will crank out a completed 45 acp with every stroke saving tons of work and time. and a heavy cast press with toggle leverage can do complex case forming. wilson dies with a swage press are the nuts for working up a load right at the shooting bench.like many my garage, attic, and reloading room has many different tools and they all get used from time to time.

OP
huntin'monkey

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
This will be a set up from my Lee Loader, anyway. Probably made between 250 and 300 rounds with that thing in batches of 10 or 20, and have put lots of deer and one elk down with them. I don't have any fancy reloading needs, just want to pump out 100 or so rounds a year of .308. Who knows, I may step up to a turret press down the road.

Shrek

WKR
It's probably all you need then. Put a rubber O ring under the die nut to float the die and it will reduce the runout. I think the newer Lee dies come with an O ring for this reason. I would also bet that if you post on a few of the loading boards you could find any shellholders you might need. If you have a holder for the 308 family and the 7mm mag holder then you have a lot covered with those two.