Hermisilla Mexico safety?

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Love Sonora. We did a Coues in January and crossed over at Nogales. We had a caravan and never felt any sense of danger. I'd love to go back again this year.

I did a sheep hunt with my dad in 2012 through Hermosillo and then to the coast. I wouldn't travel at night but never felt any sense of danger. As others have said, there are some shady outfitters. Do your research.

The last thing the cartel wants to do is target an innocent American. This disrupts their supply chain and hits their pocket books. The Mormon family who was shot-up at the end of 2019 had cartel ties. That is how they rule, they don't just take you out, your family is also at risk.

Go and post pics!

Hermosillo- respect the people and culture , don’t be that borish American making problems in their country.

I also don’t believe in fear mongering and definitely don’t believe everything on the internet 😂.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I went on a mission trip to a tiny town southeast of Hermosillo about 15 years ago. There were little shrines every mile or so along the roads. I asked one of the locals what they were and he said they were to honor the dead. After a little more prying he told us most of them were murdered by the cartel at these locations. He said virtually all of the people murdered were involved with the cartel in some way and did something to cross them and got wacked.

The truth about Mexico is that if you want trouble, you can find it, but most of the time it doesn't find you. Most of the horrific murders you hear about are people who got caught up in the wrong business. Stick to deer hunting and you'll be totally fine.

Reactions: MJB

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Flying into Hermasillo and driving to a desert ranch with the outfitter picking you up is completely different than crossing over into a Mexican border town in a vehicle.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES, if you hunt Hermosillo, fly in, outfitter picks you up. You drive, you roll the dice.

Mexico is suffering from pandemic effects too. The economy was bad before Covid....people/banditos are getting desperate now. I used to travel to MX frequently the last 4 years for business. We had Maquilladoras (factories) in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. Company purchased "kidnapping insurance" to cover, protect me. Included was armed security private shuttle once I walked across the border.

AZ friend, Caucasian & fluent Spanish, and I drove down from Nogales 2 years ago for archery deer hunt.
Halfway there we get pulled over by MX Police. Guns drawn, they walked around, inspected his SUV. Then in fluent English, the cop said we were over the speed limit. ?!?, we were under the speed limit 5-10mph on purpose.
We cooperated fully with their questions but in the end, $100 each and they let us continue on.

Its just not the banditos, cartel peeps that you need to be cautious around...

brsnow

WKR
The US and Mexico typically have the same travel warning level globally. Always be smart when traveling.

buckpro

FNG
Love Sonora. We did a Coues in January and crossed over at Nogales. We had a caravan and never felt any sense of danger. I'd love to go back again this year.

I did a sheep hunt with my dad in 2012 through Hermosillo and then to the coast. I wouldn't travel at night but never felt any sense of danger. As others have said, there are some shady outfitters. Do your research.

The last thing the cartel wants to do is target an innocent American. This disrupts their supply chain and hits their pocket books. The Mormon family who was shot-up at the end of 2019 had cartel ties. That is how they rule, they don't just take you out, your family is also at risk.

Go and post pics!

In the words of my guide who was a local when I asked about cartel issues etc.

"very simple, you cartel, have family in cartel, deal with cartel, then yeah you have problem. If not, you have no problem."

Soupie

FNG
Was just talking to a co-worker whose family has a Sonora hunting ranch, really does look like some great hunting.

Regardless of for what reason your looking to go, feedback on traveling to Mexico always shares similar to this thread.

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard that Mexico is *very* dangerous these days. Make sure and get kidnapping insurance & get your will filled out before going. I would stick to hunting Westerns states.

This will leave more big deer for the crazy people that risk their lives to shoot one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I regularly go fishing out of PV and Cabo, never had any issues. I have gotten the itch to go down and chase those 32+ inch monsters. If I found a good deal, after a heavy amount of research, I would go in a heart beat.