Hey Buddy... Are You Lost?

Just curious to see who feels they are ready if their GPS croaked on them deep, deep in the elk woods. Individual, non-electron, land navigation skills i.e., using a compass, map, and terrain association (minimum skills) are essential in the elk woods in my opinion. Possessing good non-electronic based navigation skills can certainly help avoid some bad things if the GPS decides takes a dump. Army Field Manual 3-25.26 (Map Reading and Land Navigation) is not classified and you can actually download it for free from many sites. If a hunter does not possess some of the basic "non-electronic" land navigation skills, he/she probably shouldn't venture too far from a road/trail system until they do. These are my opinions and may not reflect yours. 🧐

Soooo.. let’s do this kind of like a poll. "I rate my map/compass skills as follows":

1. Exceptional - I am a human compass needle.. Just follow me.

2. Good - I use a map/compass effectively with no issues.

3. Poor - I'm a bit too reliant on my GPS. Need some work on my map/compass/map reading/terrain association skills.

4. No so good - Call for the search party; I'm not making it out of the woods if my GPS dies.

5. Other… (please provide comments).

6. Does RJ do anything productive besides starting these threads? 😏

Bl704

WKR
Redundancy isn't bad. And I usually have my phone too...

I'll buy about 10 of these cheap compasses at a pop for a couple bucks... These aren't precisión, but are sufficient.

I also know one of more guardrails when I'm afield. E.g. Last weekend a river to my east, north was out (would find a trail or road). Out west, the trails may be other landmarks (Peaks, valleys, etc).

I'll take a 2... Heck even a 3 is ok (there is always work to do)

Attachments

• 20210511_181231.jpg
    20210511_181231.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
no3
but i hunted for more than 30years with out a gps and am still here. my buds map reading was better than mine but i could get by.

I’m a 2.5. Don’t have any real map and compasses training, but I always have a compass and usually a map.

I have on occasions pulled out the map and compasses and tried to use landmarks to get my bearings and then check that vs. GPS. I’m never perfect but I’m close enough that I could get to a road.

That said, when we were elk hunting, I had InReach and phone. We were always in groups of two and both had phones. I also carried an old iPhone 5 as a backup since they only way like 4 ounces.

dsayer

FNG
I’m a 2.5. Don’t have any real map and compasses training, but I always have a compass and usually a map.
Same here. I always have a compass and paper maps where I'm hunting. Proficient but certainly not expert. That said I do end up using my phone/onX most often in the field.

FLAK

WKR
The most I ever carry is a compass.
I've always had a good sense of direction in the woods.
Not so much in town or in malls. Get lost in a heart beat.

bozeman

WKR
Always have a compass on me. Did some orienteering way back when so it would take me a little to get adjusted, but believe I’d be ok w/out GPS.

I found my way back to a trailhead and a 4 mile hike to an outfitter camp 2 years after the fact, so got a little bloodhound in the genes somewhere. I hiked my wife in there one summer to show her where we camped!

Savage99

WKR
I’m an internet 3, but a reality 2.5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are still using maps? :)
I spent the time learning how to use the map and compass. But never used while hunting. I bounce around too much and got tired of buying maps.
I have a very good sense of direction in the woods. Pay a lot of attention to landmarks etc. Never feel lost.

Poser

WKR
2 to 1.5.

Maps are pretty easy and intuitive to me and never really had an issue. Actually doing a 100 mile hike this September with 80 miles off trail -not really concerned about route finding at all.

BuzzH

WKR
Been reading maps, aerial photography, and using a compass for 34 years at work across 8 states. You get pretty good using them that much. I have no problem or issues with a GPS taking a dump.

GPS navigation is fine, but IMO/E if you're just going to straight navigate following a GPS you better be tough. GPS navigating in a straight line makes as much sense as a soup sandwich. Being good with both map reading and GPS navigation will save a lot of work, effort, and time.

I also don't believe many people use their GPS to the potential of the GPS either...lots of handy functions that most never use.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Been reading maps, aerial photography, and using a compass for 34 years at work across 8 states. You get pretty good using them that much. I have no problem or issues with a GPS taking a dump.

GPS navigation is fine, but IMO/E if you're just going to straight navigate following a GPS you better be tough. GPS navigating in a straight line makes as much sense as a soup sandwich. Being good with both map reading and GPS navigation will save a lot of work, effort, and time.

I also don't believe many people use their GPS to the potential of the GPS either...lots of handy functions that most never use.
OK, I'll bite... please expound on the GPS functions I don't know about...

I always use terrain association. I know the map before i go out and always plan an emergency route. Its kept me safe thus far

I always have a compass in my pack.

You know they asked Daniel Boone if he ever got lost in his adventures abroad and he replied
" Nope, but wonst I was bewildered for three days "...