Hi y'all - first timer here

Hey all, been lurking for months as every elk-related google I have done seems to lead to the rokslide forums :ROFLMAO:

Relatively new to hunting, I'm an "adult onset hunter" as I heard it referred to on one of Randy Newberg's videos--I'm 37 years old and no one in my family has ever hunted. I got into whitetails 3 seasons ago via a good friend who invited me to deer camp and was immediately hooked.

Anyway...3 years later and I am now planning my first elk hunt for 2020 season. Started planning a few months ago, a DIY in CO, first season rifle, with a good friend that I know we are compatible (will also be his first elk hunt). While some may caution not to bite off too much, too soon I will say I am fanatical about research/scouting, and fitness, and also have experience hiking/camping (just never done it with the intention of killing something before :)). Also, despite being from MO I have spent significant time in CO and know how to adjust and handle altitude.

From what I've gathered so far, inability/unwillingness to cover rough terrain seems to be the consensus #1 reason people fail on their elk hunts, with lack of planning/scouting the frequent #2 reason. I/we will have those two issues covered in spades, so any failure to fill our tags will be just bad luck or bad hunting on our part.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone's collective wisdom and knowledge-sharing. I have already benefited immensely and expect to continue to do so over the future as I prepare for this, and other hunts. Also, I need to get to 10 posts so I can start kopping stuff from the classifieds :rolleyes:

I plan to make a number of posts in the fitness forum, if anyone is interested, as I see a lot of well-intentioned but misguided info about the best way to get in shape for backcountry hunting.

Cheers!
Mike from MO

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the forum, and the elk hunting brotherhood. I should warn you that it will consume you. I think about elk every hour of every day.

Good luck, you couldn't be in a better place and it seems you have an excellent attitude.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey man welcome! Good luck in Colorado, lots of experienced members here in that state.

Don’t forget that the 10 count doesn’t mean you have to post entire new threads that you’ve started yourself. You can go comment on other existing posts that you are interested in and that counts towards your 10.

OP
Mike from MO
Hey man welcome! Good luck in Colorado, lots of experienced members here in that state.

Don’t forget that the 10 count doesn’t mean you have to post entire new threads that you’ve started yourself. You can go comment on other existing posts that you are interested in and that counts towards your 10.

Ahh, sweet! I guess I'm up to 2 now?

OP
Mike from MO
... I should warn you that it will consume you. I think about elk every hour of every day...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ha--that is the truth! I'm already several hundred hours down the rabbit hole and I'm 10 months away from my first hunt!

I would consider a “drop camp” for my 1st hunt. Typically they are $1000-2000 per person and the outfitter provides transportation in and out of camp and the tent, sometimes food. The one I worked for in Montana was great and well worth the $1500. Success was close to the guided hunts.

Welcome from another late onset western hunter from Missouri! Rockslide is a fantastic forum community that will get you miles ahead on the steep learning curve. The search tool is you new best friend! Wish all the best as you move toward one of the most enjoyable experiences a person can have.

7mmshadow

FNG
Welcome to Colorado I am new on here too. My best advice on hunting elk here is don’t be in a hurry take it slow. Use binoculars. If you know there elk in the area. I seen people with in 50 yards of a cow and didn’t see it. Best of luck on your hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
Welcome to the madness. Home is In PA and I have killed elk in Idaho and Colorado. Best advice I can give ya is keep an open mind. Elk are where ya find them. Get in shape and don't try and do it all in one day.

What do you do for a living? Whatever it is do you think that someone who has never done it before could go online and study up enough to fill your position?

Hands on experience is the only way. Take great care in picking your area in hopes that your first hunt is an investment in future trips to the same place.

Buy the best gear you can afford but don’t go buying the best there is until you do your first hunt and make sure you’re going back for more.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

iowawhitetailnut

Lil-Rokslider
Mike from missouri, i enjoyed reading above as i am in the exact same situation other than i have chased whitetails in iowa for many years and not as much of a fanatic about fitness....yet. I am also a new member, done tons of reading on this site, and planning for a 2020 Rifle 1 hunt in colorado. Good luck!