High Country Horseback Mule Deer Hunt

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hardstalk, my dad was into horses so that got me started, but it was a few chance encounters with some real (I mean real) cowboys and a Basque sheepherder where I learned most of my packing. Glad bucksnort pointed out a book, as I really can't think of any.

2rocky, interesting how those terms are interchanged. I've seen side loads tied the way you described but didn't know it was a different hitch. Hope your kids follow in your footsteps, too, as horses give them a healthy focus in life.

BuckSnort

WKR
Ditto what 2rocky said about you're daughter growing up with horses... I grew up with dirt bikes and although I don't think I'd trade my youth I can't help but wonder what it would have been like growing up with horses... When I got into horses about 8 years ago I had no idea what I was doing, no one in my family had them so I was a green horn and had to learn from books... My best horse got colic real bad and I had to put it down myself that really took the wind from my sails... Between not having anyone to ride or pack with and work getting slow and bills piling up I decided to sell my horses and trailers.. I did keep all my tack as I would love to someday have horses again...

Robby you seem like a compassionate guy who appreciates the little things in life, I admire that as that seems to be a thing of the past...Thanks again for taking me along in you're adventure..With my horses gone I am forced to live vicariously through post's like this..

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
Hardstalk,
I know your question was directed to Robby, however I thought I would chime in. A few things that I have picked up that has been helpful are as follows:
Horses, Hitches & Rocky Trails “The packers Bible” by Joe Back.
Packing Horses and Mules for the Back Country by Brandon Carpenter – DVD
Packers Guide Book (the mountain Canary Company Ed and Sue Haefliger)

I have found these books to give you a good foundation of knots and hitches and training of your pack animal. One piece of advice I will through out there.. try not to buy a used packsaddle without first seeing if it fits your pack animal. A well fitting saddle, whether ridding or pack, goes a long way with the comfort of your stock., and just like your wife… if they are happy the less hassles you have to deal with.

I would also recommend joining a chapter of the Back Country Horsemen. There are a lot of helpful people which are more than willing to guide a first time packer.

As with anything horse related…. Practice everything from the ground in a controlled environment before heading out on the trail. It is much easier to have a rodeo and garage sale (packed items spread all over the country side) there then out on the trail.

I am in the process of training a new pack string as my only pack and kid horse had to be put down due to a severe case of colic last summer. This horse had spent most of her life packing in the backwoods of Washington state and was just getting out in Colorado.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
and just like your wife… is they are happy the less hassles you have to deal with.
hilarous!

Great books you reference and glad you chimed in. I had forgotten about the Joe Back book- it is a good one. This isn't just my thread so anyone chime in on this stuff as we all learn from each other.

Bucksnort, thanks, and to me all these other things like horses, good camps, family and friends are what make hunting satisfying to me. If were just about the kill, it would be a pretty shallow experience. Thanks for following along and glad you kept your tack ;)

Jodi

Super Moderator
Ditto what 2rocky said about you're daughter growing up with horses... I grew up with dirt bikes and although I don't think I'd trade my youth I can't help but wonder what it would have been like growing up with horses... When I got into horses about 8 years ago I had no idea what I was doing, no one in my family had them so I was a green horn and had to learn from books... My best horse got colic real bad and I had to put it down myself that really took the wind from my sails... Between not having anyone to ride or pack with and work getting slow and bills piling up I decided to sell my horses and trailers.. I did keep all my tack as I would love to someday have horses again...

Robby you seem like a compassionate guy who appreciates the little things in life, I admire that as that seems to be a thing of the past...Thanks again for taking me along in you're adventure..With my horses gone I am forced to live vicariously through post's like this..

You are right about my husband. That is one of the reasons I married him, as he knows what is important in life and he is the same in every area of life: God, country, family and horses. I'm so proud of who you are, Robby.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks sweetie!
You are my foundation and I love you, too.

Now how 'bout a kiss ;)