High Country Shelters - Aron Snyder

Good article Aron. You make some very good points as well as solutions in the article. It was good reading your thoughts on the subject.

I was one that got sucked into the bivy sack years ago by the industry celebrity perhaps mentioned in your article. I still think that guy is a great inspiration and motivator but I never got used to the bivy sack for the reasons you mention.

Shortdraw

FNG
I still remember my old bivy sack circa about 1990. Spent the night in a rain storm in Rocky Mountain National Park. Every time I would roll in my sleep it would pour water down into my neck! Woke up (as if I really ever went to sleep) to find that a pica had eaten a hole in my pack. Yeah, I love bivy sacks.

Ronster

Lil-Rokslider
Great article. Im leaning towards a Sawtooth next year when my credit cards recoup after this years gear purchases for a lot of the reasons that you bring up here.

Manosteel

WKR
Excellent article. Makes me want to buy a stove but I usually tag out before snow falls and I live in the Edmonton bow zone so WT's are literally at my door step when the snow falls during the November rut

Last edited:

Longstride12

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Aron! It is nice to have someone with real experience tell me what is good and what is not. Makes it that much easier when I pull the trigger on the next purchase and I don't have to do all the gear testing and waste money on not so high quality gear. It also helps so I don't talk myself into something cheaper just because it is cheaper. :)

cmeier117

WKR
It took me awhile to muster the courage but I love the versatility the tarp/bivy combo gives you. If you still want to have a lightweight shelter you can opt for a ti goat bivy or something like that. It is a good pound lighter than the bugaboo. One thing to think about though on tarps is most guys use two pads and a closed cell foam pad is going to be another 8 ounces or so. Not really needed but it helps to protect the pad a little better.

littlebuf

Banned
aron, a question. im a 3 season tent guy (tarp tent) but ive been looking hard at the super tarp or one of bear paws tarp/teepees (forget the model) I cant do bivy sacks, just to Closter phobic. do you feel the need to carry a bivy with the tarp mainly for temp rating or for weather proofing also. I take a three season down to pretty cold temps and don't see why one of the tarps im considering wouldn't be able to do the same but I still have reservations about being floorless in the rain. you've undoubtedly seen some weather in a floorless shelter, is a bivy an absolute necessity in weather? I never think twice bout it with a bathtub floor in my TT.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
aron, a question. im a 3 season tent guy (tarp tent) but ive been looking hard at the super tarp or one of bear paws tarp/teepees (forget the model) I cant do bivy sacks, just to Closter phobic. do you feel the need to carry a bivy with the tarp mainly for temp rating or for weather proofing also. I take a three season down to pretty cold temps and don't see why one of the tarps im considering wouldn't be able to do the same but I still have reservations about being floorless in the rain. you've undoubtedly seen some weather in a floorless shelter, is a bivy an absolute necessity in weather? I never think twice bout it with a bathtub floor in my TT.

You are asking Aron a question?

Ease up big guy!:)

Wrench77

WKR

Littlebuf checkout the cuben fiber ground sheet at zpacks.com this ground sheet has 5" walls. It is also lighter than the poplular Tyvek ground sheet although a lot more expensive. They can do custom sizing also. I'll be running one of these in my supertarp this year.