High country spotter size?

Looking to get some input from the high country guys on spotter size. I sold my ATS 80mm recently and need to replace it. Considering a couple different scope but don’t want to go to big and it be overkill.
I have been building points for a couple years in a couple states for mule deer so I can get a couple consecutive years of early season high country archery hunts planned. Most of my current glassing has been within 2-3 miles from the truck so spotter size/weight hasn’t been too big of a deal.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
The biggest scope your willing to carry. I am carrying a stx 95 now after replacing my STM 80 with it.

OP
Mdfowlman2
The biggest scope your willing to carry. I am carrying a stx 95 now after replacing my STM 80 with it.
That’s what I was thinking, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Kowa 883, stupid good price right now and I’ve read nothing but great things about it besides the size which is to be expected with a 88mm scope

ianpadron

WKR
If you're still planning on sticking that close to the truck, go with the biggest KOWA or Swaro you can afford, who gives a shit about weight!

If you have any plans on hiking deeper, the 553/554s are the bomb. Every single hunting buddy that uses mine ends up wanting one or buying one. So light!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I have the kowa 554 and been using smaller scope for years. It works for getting a good idea on a general size of a buck out to about a mile. I really want to get an 88 or 95 just haven’t got the guts to spend the cash and carry that weight yet.

65s have been successfully used for a long time.

Love my Kowa 554. Love my STX 65 and 95. All have their roles that they excel at and can suck when used in roles their not meant for.

Note: hunters tend to have a rifle for every conceivable need but suddenly become frugal when it comes to optics where they make compromises. We splurge on what is used the least and skimp on what is used the most (outside clothes and boots).

Look at the Rokslide review for the Kowa 99x. There’s a photo that shows a size comparison; things are closer in size than most would imagine. We focus a lot on weight but rarely mention how much volume in a pack a piece of gear takes.

If I had to choose a single “compromise” spotting scope it’d likely be the Kowa 77x which Doug with CameraLand has on sale. Or shop around for the Kowa 88x as you can get it for not “that” much more. Seems like hue preference dictates if someone prefers Swarovski or Kowa.

slim9300

WKR
If you're still planning on sticking that close to the truck, go with the biggest KOWA or Swaro you can afford, who gives a shit about weight!

If you have any plans on hiking deeper, the 553/554s are the bomb. Every single hunting buddy that uses mine ends up wanting one or buying one. So light!

This^^^ I use my 80mm for 1-2 miles from the road or from the road, and I wish I had a bigger one. A 90-100mm scope will be next and I’ll sell the 80. But when backpacking my Kowa 553 basically leaves very little to be desired. I would never consider a 60mm scope. To me it would be useless.

I will always have two spotters. There is no way you can be happy with one if you use them regularly and hunt both near the road and backpacking. If I was broke and only got one option I might consider a 65mm Swaro but it would always be a sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR

I have started to move down in size of optic but try to acquire higher quality glass at the same time. I would agree going as big as your willing to carry. cutting weight is really nice but depending on when you are hunting....like early season when it is hot outside......you will want to be able to gather every second of light available. I have liked the Kowa scopes for sure. 553/4 series has been really nice for longer hikes. the 77 is hard to beat on clarity, size, weight, combinations. I think the 77 hits the sweet spot for me.

To me it’s all about functionality. I’m a go big or go home guy. If we can pack quarters out we can pack in the best tool for the job to find them. I’ll carry my 20-60x80 Swaro anywhere. When I’m in the high country above timberline and I had to wait 8-10 years to have enough points for my hunting license I need to know if that buck a mile and a half away is a 165 or a 180 buck!

Last edited:

ColoradoV

WKR
If only one I pry choose the kowa 77. My biggest is a zeiss 85 and I will pry buy a swaro 95 set up to replace it. These are only used in July and August for the most part.

Once the season opens I only carry swaro 15z as by then I 100% know the single buck I am chasing and he will stick out most times even to the naked eye. Just need the 15z to locate.. No need in season to carry a spotter as all that “heavy lifting” has been done.

Still get pretty good pics though the 15z if needed…

3BEA9600-990C-40F9-BD33-3888694A3510.jpeg