High quality boots or high quality pack?

Ripnbst

FNG
I'm going to go against the grain here and say boots, haha. I would recommend going to a store like Redwing boot boutique, or an outlet for one of the other highly regarded boot companies like Kennetrek, Crispi, Danner, etc. When you go in there, try and find a person to help you that looks like they've got some experience. Grey hair is usually a good sign, but not always. In my experience, if they don't have what suits what you're looking for given what they can tell you about your feet and based on how you answer their questions, they will send you somewhere else or make a recommendation that is not their boot. These people want to have happy customers and putting you into a boot that will have you cursing them to anyone who asks you about your experience with them will hurt their reputation much more than a single boot sale helps it.

Sounds like you already got yourself into some pretty good boots. I would spend the next few months keeping an eye on the classifieds on here to locate a pack that will work well for you. For some pretty good pack reviews check out this link to a stress test that gohunt did:

I say good boots are a necessity but I have never paid more than $200 for boots. I have used various hiking styles without any problems. Right now I am using a pair of Vasque. I do not have a pair of “ hunting” boots. I wear mine all of the time.

I spent more money on a pack than on three pairs of boots. But I guess that is because I have never had foot issues.

I’d rather have a poorly fitting pack than poorly fitting boots, but unfortunately you can’t just buy your way to success with either.

I started by buying several different pairs and sizes of Lowa’s, La Sportiva’s, etc, before finally determining that the Salomon Quests fit my foot the best. They likely won’t last anywhere near as long as some of the more expensive boots would, but it is what it is.

I’m sure most on here would agree that a properly fitting pair of $50 boots is preferable to a poorly fitting $500 one. Assuming they aren’t bad enough quality to lose a sole or leak immediately, boots are going to wear out regardless, where packs really don’t. Resale is also much better on packs than boots if you want to try something else in the future.

This isn’t to say cheap out on boots, just that spending more doesn’t always equal better. If you have a $500 total budget for both pieces of gear, I’d find the right boots first, regardless of cost, then spend what’s left on a pack.

CakeEater

FNG
FNG chiming in: buy once cry once and get good quality boots and pack. As a new guy on a team, I was told to get quality socks before punching out to Iraq. I graduated to better boots which meant non-issue boots. Best thing ever. Guys would buy their own packs as well. These guys would carry minimum 90lb packs. They didn’t skimp and I know the Corps didn’t pay for any of their gear.

Now that I’m wrapping up my time in the Corps, I have to start over with the hunting gear game. Hope this helps. Budgeting sucks but sometimes you have to prioritize and my guess is we can all trim the fat in our finances to get better quality gear. America!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given a choice, I’d head into the woods in a $300 pair of boots with a $35 Alice pack on my back.

RCB

WKR
I tend to prefer cheaper boots. Expensive boots tend to be too stiff for me. I have a sneaking suspicion that many folks have so much trouble finding a boot that fits because they keep buying stiff 3lb+ leather mountaineering boots that just don’t conform easily to the foot. Softer boots are easier to fit, let you move faster and quieter, and tend to cheaper. I’ve ended up sticking to the Merrell Moabs despite shopping around a bit.

I do grant that flimsier shoes tend to leak earlier in their lifespan, but a quick search of the forum will reveal dozens of leaky $300 boots.

So I guess I’ll have to go with the pack.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
OP / @Backcountryrealtor17

Please help everyone here efficiently help you. You've spent two seconds to ask a question that might as well be "what caliber is best for elk?" "Do I pick a "phenomenal" action or a "phenomenal" barrell?

I could spend as much time on an answer as you did on your question-- and respond "BOOTS"

However, could you invest 1 minute of your time to create a better posed question? Well-posed questions get well-considered responses that will not waste your time or waste the time of other folks who are willing to help you but limited by a poorly posed question.

Answers to well-posed questions will provide focused information for your situation.

In order not to throw (let's call it "spaghetti") at the wall to "perhaps" answer your question. Kindly take a moment and provide more specific information:

For instance: Do you want boots for riding a horse? For walking around camp? For winter hunting? For pheasant hunting...? Do you want a day pack, 3 -day backpack 7 day+ backpack? You get the picture here..?

• What is "phenomenal"-- Your definition of "phenomenal" and the budget around that definition might not be the same as another. WHAT is your realistic overall budget for boots/pack?
  • What time of year are you hunting?
  • Where are you hunting? Terrain/elevation
  • Will you be off trail backcountry?
  • What are you hunting?
  • Do you expect to have to use the backpack for meat hauling?
  • How long will you be backpacking? Truck camping/day hunting?
  • What weight backpack?
  • Do you have existing foot or back problems or issues?
  • What special considerations (if any) do you want advice on?

Best,

JL

Last edited: