Highcountry Mule Deer Optic Setup

I am curious the pros/cons and what is the best overall highcountry backpack hunting style optic setup. I currently am using Leupold BX-4 12x50s, but at times want some more power for those further distances. I will state for me i'm not judging inches, I just want to be able to identify a buck and his frame.

I am going back and forth between the following setups:

1. 15x56s slc only. down side they are heavy on chest and on a stalk or handholding they will be pretty much useless.

2. 10x42slc with a 65M swaro spotter. I feel i would be doing most of my glassing with the 10s which again would leave me wanted for further distances and I am not a huge fan of glassing with only 1 eye using the spotter.

3. 12x50 ELs maybe by themselves or pairing with 65M spotter.

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Option 4? : 10x42 slcs and some 18x56 mavens (or swaro btx-65)

Normally id say get good 10s and a spotter, but if youre really set on not using 1 eye the mavens offer enough magnification to really reach out there at a lot less cost than the btx setup.

I found looking through a spotter a lot easier on the eye when you get into alpha glass instead of the mid-range stuff as well. I got a lot more eye fatigue from my vortex razor than I do with my kowa 88.

Are you using a tripod with your binos currently? How far away are you glassing? To get the most out of binos they should be used with a tripod. Especially above 10x as things get shaky. Shaky leads to the fine details getting blurry. Should be able to tell a shooter from at least a mile away with a good set of binos.

If it were me I would do 10x binos on a tripod and a spotting scope. Use the binos to find them, spotter to judge them.

OP
F
Are you using a tripod with your binos currently? How far away are you glassing? To get the most out of binos they should be used with a tripod. Especially above 10x as things get shaky. Shaky leads to the fine details getting blurry. Should be able to tell a shooter from at least a mile away with a good set of binos.

If it were me I would do 10x binos on a tripod and a spotting scope. Use the binos to find them, spotter to judge them.

I should have clarified, but yes all my glassing is done off a tripod. For me its the only way to glass. Once i went to a tripod I can't ever go back to knees. I am currenlty using my 12 power binos out to 1.5 miles. after that I still pick up deer but judging frame gets tougher. i'm sure it would be easier with 12 ELs.

OP
F
Option 4? : 10x42 slcs and some 18x56 mavens (or swaro btx-65)

Normally id say get good 10s and a spotter, but if youre really set on not using 1 eye the mavens offer enough magnification to really reach out there at a lot less cost than the btx setup.

I found looking through a spotter a lot easier on the eye when you get into alpha glass instead of the mid-range stuff as well. I got a lot more eye fatigue from my vortex razor than I do with my kowa 88.

Man this is a solid response. Thank you! 18s or btx would be the bees knees. Maybe I need to spend more time behind a spotter to gets used to one eye.

I tripod mount my swaro SLC 10s to find them and use a spotter to judge what I’ve found. I’ll also use the spotter to glass shady spots during the day. Seems to work well. I tested out some 18s yesterday on a hillside outside of Cabela’s (over a mile away) and I personally don’t think I could justify the price or the weight for what I was seeing. I felt like I would still want a spotter to zoom in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you are happy with your 12s keep them and spend all of the money on the spotter (alpha only).

Use your 12s for glassing. Use the spotter for confirmation.

The BTX does rock but there are some downsides. First, it does not work that well for glassing closer in. Second, you will find yourself glassing much further than you can realistically get to when you do find an animal.

I use SLC 15s for my glassing and bring out my STX for confirmation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd run your binos and a Kowa 553/554. Lighter than all the high power binos you mentioned and more useable range. At 28oz it's light and since you are only using it to verify frame and size on one you've already spotted, it's a solid choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used to pack 10x32, 15x56's, and a 20-60x80 spotter. Now I pack the 10x32's and the BTX/ATX 95. If I only packed one eye piece it would be the BTX.

I used the 20-60x80 for years and even glassed with it. I didn't just use it for judging. The BTX is so much better than a single eye piece its hard to convey unless you have used it.

If you can afford it go with the BTX.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I used to pack 10x32, 15x56's, and a 20-60x80 spotter. Now I pack the 10x32's and the BTX/ATX 95. If I only packed one eye piece it would be the BTX.

I used the 20-60x80 for years and even glassed with it. I didn't just use it for judging. The BTX is so much better than a single eye piece its hard to convey unless you have used it.

If you can afford it go with the BTX.
That BTX/95 setup weighs almost 7lbs though doesn't it? I know it's at least 6. That's an easy pass for me because I don't use my spotter nearly as much as I use my binos.

That BTX/95 setup weighs almost 7lbs though doesn't it? I know it's at least 6. That's an easy pass for me because I don't use my spotter nearly as much as I use my binos.

I don't know. I never weighed it. I pack the ATX eye piece also so probably a little heavier. I used my bino's way more until I got the BTX. Now after scanning with binos I scan again with the BTX. I'll take the penalty or lose weight in another area before I hunt high country without the BTX.

I'm glad most guys won't pack it.

Rizzy

WKR
For buck hunting mountain terrain I like 8x Binos and the kowa 55 Combo. I add the 15x Binos to the mix for scouting.

Before you buy a spotter, make sure you will use it. I don’t like glassing with a spotter and it’s a lot of money to leave at home.

I run 10x42 Meopta’s on my chest and run a 20-70x82 Meopta S2 as my main spotter. If I’m driving around glassing, I run 15x56’s on a tripod and have my spotter handy. I’m wanting a Kowa 553 to replace my S2 spotter on steep backpack hunts. I know I’ll miss the big spotter but weight adds up.

Reactions: pc3