Hilleberg Niak Review, By Mike Moore

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for submitting that Mike. I’m always surprised we don’t have more Hilberg reviews. I’ve only owned one of them, and it was a great tent.

Ten Bears

WKR
good review. great tent.

if I had to pick just one tent for all of my backpack hunts this is it. most balanced and versatile tent out there.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Solid review with good photos showing the features.

Mike one thing I’d be curious to hear is when you are/are not grabbing the Niak? Kind of the same question on single-wall shelters. Is it more of a strength thing or a moisture management thing for you? For summer time single walls are awesome - but anything shoulder season where there’s moisture (and high condensation potential) it seems tough to get away from double wall protection.

colby12

WKR
@mtwarden is there a time you would use a floorless shelter in similar conditions or is there a list of reasons you would not? I assume condensation would be one, but I need some education on the topic overall.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guys! Sorry, been a little tardy as we were finishing up with our elk season :)

Solid review with good photos showing the features.

Mike one thing I’d be curious to hear is when you are/are not grabbing the Niak? Kind of the same question on single-wall shelters. Is it more of a strength thing or a moisture management thing for you? For summer time single walls are awesome - but anything shoulder season where there’s moisture (and high condensation potential) it seems tough to get away from double wall protection.
If the weather is going to on the fair side (much of the summer, early fall) I'll use one of my Tarptents- they are both dcf construction and are crazy light 18 oz for the solo one (Aeon Li) and the two person - 32 oz (Stratosphere Li). Both save weight by using trekking poles for their setup. Both have done pretty well in rough conditions, but if I'm anticipating really rough conditions or it's a long trip where forecasts often change, I'll bring the Niak.

Single wall shelters w/ moisture can be problematic, not that you can't get condensation w/ a double wall, but they simply do a lot better. I had a four season single wall tent (black Diamond Firstlight) and in the dead of winter w/ low humidity (which was usually the case in the middle of the winter) it did fine. It wasn't uber light at 3.5 lbs and had no vestibule. With the additional vestibule, it weighed more than the Niak. It's also a front opening tent, vs side like the Niak, which is a bit of pain getting in and out.

The fact that I can use the Niak year round and imo more bomber, convinced me to sell the Firstlight.

@mtwarden is there a time you would use a floorless shelter in similar conditions or is there a list of reasons you would not? I assume condensation would be one, but I need some education on the topic overall.

I'll use a floorless shelter when I want my stove- cold, wet crappy weather where the ability to dry clothing is a top priority. It's a MSR Front Range that a buddy of mine sewed in a stove jack. It's reasonably light for a four person tent (two w/ the stove). When I use it I almost always are hunting (or snowshoeing/skiing) w/ a mother person and we can dive up the tent parts and stove equally. Wouldn't be overly excited to pack both myself.

There are condensation concerns w/ a single wall, floorless tent, but used w/ a stove it's not much of an issue (raising the sides off the ground also improves condensation management).

While this tent is relatively bomber, I wouldn't put in the same category as the Niak for handling rough weather. Pyramid tents also take up a lot of real estate. In the Brooks Range (and elsewhere) real estate is often at a premium and smaller/free standing shelter simply takes a lot less room. And while not s huge thing, the setup time w/ the Niak is a lot quicker- very welcome when rolling into camp at night or in crappy weather.

eamyrick

WKR
I ordered one Black Friday for an Alaska Grizz Hunt next fall. Super impressed with the ease of setup and quality construction. I’m 6’3 210 and have ample room and could throw another person in in a pinch.

IMG_6860.jpegIMG_6861.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll be good; I would recommend going to the longer stakes for sure and check the guy line length- I went longer (and a little thicker) so I could use rocks to "stake" it out if the ground wasn't conducive to stakes.

Fritz D

FNG
I really like the looks of the Niak.
I’ve been a Hilleberg user for about 15 years.
I’ve run the Akto, Jannu, and Soulo. Sold the Akto years ago for a Red Label Soulo
Damn things are bomb proof, but heavy?
Would like less weight and more room than is provided by the Soulo and that Niak would fit the bill, sure seems like.

Nice article, MTWarden. I remember you from the backpack hunting forum at the 24Hr Campfire, years ago?
Good to see your still getting after it! 😎👍🏻

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup more room and roughly 1.5 lbs lighter than the Soulus, you're giving up some in the bomber department, but I think the Niak when properly guyed and staked is going to suffice for most hunting applications :)

Thanks- yes same forum name :)

prm

WKR
Great review. I’ve looked at Hillebergs for quite awhile. With my current tent getting a bit long in the tooth it was time. I liked the Allek, but not the weight. Your review convinced me the ‘Yellow label’ was more than adequate for my rather typical hunts in the Rockies. Went with a Rogen to have two vestibules, and doors. My wife likes to come with me.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review. I’ve looked at Hillebergs for quite awhile. With my current tent getting a bit long in the tooth it was time. I liked the Allek, but not the weight. Your review convinced me the ‘Yellow label’ was more than adequate for my rather typical hunts in the Rockies. Went with a Rogen to have two vestibules, and doors. My wife likes to come with me.

Thanks. ^ I think the Rogen is a perfect choice for two- doable w/ the Niak, but just barely- Rogen is a better choice. With two you can also split up the weight pretty good too- well unless it's your wife— then you pack the whole shelter :ROFLMAO:

prm

WKR
I go into hunts with great plans for a light pack, both packing in and for day hunting. Then reality sets in and my pack gets filled with other “necessities”. Her pack does stay light (and non existent during day). I just laugh about now!