Hilleberg Tent Input

Looking to add a Hilleberg to my collection for more late season/ extreme conditions. Something that will withstand the elements here in SW MT, plus feature hunts in AK.

I’m been looking at the Kaitum GT. Anyone own this particular model and have feedback? Would the red series be adequate for my purposes?

Still debating on size, but thinking 3-4 person.

I haven't used the Kaitum specifically but I've had a few Hilleberg tents. I don't care for the tunnel style tents but they'll handle almost anything. Red label is fine for anything short of a tornado or feet of snow.

I prefer the side entry models especially for multiple people.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you're taller, it's a fantastic tent. Vertical end walls on the interior really frees up the space inside. I sold a Nallo because my feet were hitting the sloping back wall. They're solid tents

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
The tunnel tents work fine but I moved up to a Black Label Tarra and it is rugged. Friends are taking it to Kodiak where they ruined two Cabelas dome tents on the last trip. My Tarra has weathered winds that were measured at 114mph in a close by village where it blew houses off the foundations. Another member has told of his large tipi collapsing in that storm. I'm definitely a Hilleberg fan.

OP
I replaced a Nallo 4 with a Kaitum 3 for the same reason Sneaky brought up. I haven't used it a lot but it sure is nice when I do.

Would you say it’s a True 3 person tent ? I’m debating between the 2 & 3.

OP
My brother and I are both 6’5 225ish with bigger builds. Trying to find a compromise between weight and space. Was hoping the 2 Kaitum GT would work for us..

My brother and I are both 6’5 225ish with bigger builds. Trying to find a compromise between weight and space. Was hoping the 2 Kaitum GT would work for us..

Do not buy an Anjan. I am 6’4” and my toes hit the top of the end of the tent and freeze. Drives me crazy. I love everything else about the tent though. The tunnel design model with 3 poles should work great but more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Thanks for the feedback. That’s why I’m leaning towards the Kaitum. Seems plenty long and with the ability to store gear in the vestibule is clutch.

Last edited:
OP
You could both fit in the 3 man Kaitum but it would be cozy. Happy to set up mine for you to look at if you are in the area.
That’s very generous of you. I’m just in Big Sky. I might take you up on that offer if you don’t mind..

Thanks!

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I haven’t had any experience with the Kaitum but I do have the Allak. It’s pretty bombproof for about anything, plus it’s freestanding with two side doors. I think the red labels are more than enough, and if you worry, just upgrade to 10mm poles and you make yourself a lighter black label.

I had the Kaitum 3 but the GT model. I loved it for 2 people. But for us, especially with it being an extended stay, the extended vestibule was critical. We also had the floor in ours which was super nice. We fit 2 in it very comfortably. 3 would be tight, but very doable for a short time line.

One thing I’ve seen some people do to get more “space for the price/weight”, is add a full length footprint but drop the inner tent. Yes, you lose some of the strength, but you would have all the vestibule space you could use as tent space instead.

WKR
We bought a Keron 3 for above timberline wind festivals in CO. We're both 6'7" and fit fine in it. I didn't see much weight premium to bump up to black series so that was route I went.

OP
Goo
We bought a Keron 3 for above timberline wind festivals in CO. We're both 6'7" and fit fine in it. I didn't see much weight premium to bump up to black series so that was route I went.
Good point. The Keron has mosquito netting correct ?

Friend swears by the Terra, I'm looking towards the saitaris but I live and up up here in the north.