Hilleburg: biting the bullet

ok, guys, although the price tag hurts, for several reasons, mainly durability and design, i believe i have all but made up my mind to pull the trigger on a hilleburg shelter. ill be spending 6 days on kodiak this year and i want to have a comfortable, spacious, bomb proof shelter.

i would love yall's input on which one though. i like the design and layout of the front entrance and the large vestibule, so the two i am considering are the nallo 2 gt and the nammatj 2 gt. it looks like they are basically the same except that the nammatj has air vents to reduce condensation which i have heard can be an issue in the nallo. But the nammatj is also 2 pounds heavier and about 150 bucks more.

since i will almost certainly never use this tent except for drop camp type hunts, the weight isnt a huge issue for me although, saving two pounds and 150 bucks may have some advantages... any thoughts on the nallo vs. the nammatj?

thanks!

VernAK

WKR
I can't speak to the Nallo but I don't see much for vents and it looks a bit more wind vulnerable. I have used a Tarra for several years and it's bullet proof. This year for our caribou hunt, my partner's daughter brought her new Nammatji 2 and I was quite impressed. The vestibule is very spacious with enough room for packs and boots etc. as well as a bit of cooking. We had 3 days of blizzard that it handled very well.....a very nice quality tent. No complaints about condensation.

Hilleberg makes some of the best in quality tents.

Zbowman1

WKR
I did the same thing but I went the Naik because of its packability. I'm headed to the Brooks for a sheep hunt this August and need a tent I can pack with me every day. The problem is finding one or any Hilleberg tent right now. I scoured the web for a couple days and finally backordered one on Campsaver. Hilleberg said they would start filling pre-orders late June early July so I would definitely have a plan B.

If there's a good possibility of having condensation issues, don't even consider it. Especially if this is going to be a drop camp/base camp type tent. I have heard some horror stories in regards to condensation with some of the Hille tents (can't remember the models), and I would not want to spend 6 days on Kodiak dealing with condensation in my base camp shelter. Have you considered a 4 or 6 person Cabela's Alaskan Guide Dome? They're very well constructed tents and offer a lot more room than what you are considering in a Hille, they're also pretty bomb proof, and you won't have condensation issues. Oh, and the AGD won't set you back $1k either. If you really just want to purchase a Hilleberg, than okay, but I think that there are better options out there for what I think you're looking to do with it. Just my personal opinion.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depending on your height I would consider a Kaitum or Keron. Condensation is most commonly reported from Akto users. Most of the condensation issue can be mitigated with a ground sheet covering the ground beneath the vestibules. If ground moisture can't come up through it, it isn't going to collect in your shelter. Any of the Hilles mentioned will serve you well and are an investment. If you get a GT version those vestibules are like an extra room on a house.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
HunterMcWaters
If there's a good possibility of having condensation issues, don't even consider it. Especially if this is going to be a drop camp/base camp type tent. I have heard some horror stories in regards to condensation with some of the Hille tents (can't remember the models), and I would not want to spend 6 days on Kodiak dealing with condensation in my base camp shelter. Have you considered a 4 or 6 person Cabela's Alaskan Guide Dome? They're very well constructed tents and offer a lot more room than what you are considering in a Hille, they're also pretty bomb proof, and you won't have condensation issues. Oh, and the AGD won't set you back $1k either. If you really just want to purchase a Hilleberg, than okay, but I think that there are better options out there for what I think you're looking to do with it. Just my personal opinion.
hey man, thanks for the input. it looks like on the nammatj there are two really nice air vents to prevent condensation. though this would be my shelter for most drop-camp style outtings, weight is still somewhat of a factor. the alaskan guide dome 4 person weighs in at 23 pounds vs 8 pounds for the nammatj so for me and what i want to do there is no comparison. i would still like the option to hike this thing in with a partner if needed, 23 pounds is just out of the quetion. thanks again for your input though!

OP
HunterMcWaters
Depending on your height I would consider a Kaitum or Keron. Condensation is most commonly reported from Akto users. Most of the condensation issue can be mitigated with a ground sheet covering the ground beneath the vestibules. If ground moisture can't come up through it, it isn't going to collect in your shelter. Any of the Hilles mentioned will serve you well and are an investment. If you get a GT version those vestibules are like an extra room on a house.

thanks brother. the Kaitum looks awesome as well, but the footprint is maybe a little bit too large for me i think and its getting up on the 1200 range. i like that it has two entrances but i dont think i like it an extra 200 bucks worth. i think the storage space will be adequate for me with the nammatj.

and thanks for the tip about the footprint, that was going to be another question. do i need a footprint for these hille's.

i really love that big vestibule, for gear and even a place to get out of the wind / rain / sun and cook, etc. on the tundra where there are no trees! looks so cool!

thanks again!

sneaky

"DADDY"
thanks brother. the Kaitum looks awesome as well, but the footprint is maybe a little bit too large for me i think and its getting up on the 1200 range. i like that it has two entrances but i dont think i like it an extra 200 bucks worth. i think the storage space will be adequate for me with the nammatj.

and thanks for the tip about the footprint, that was going to be another question. do i need a footprint for these hille's.

i really love that big vestibule, for gear and even a place to get out of the wind / rain / sun and cook, etc. on the tundra where there are no trees! looks so cool!

thanks again!
The non-GT version of the Kaitum isn't really that much bigger than a Nammatj, and vertical walls on BOTH ends of the inner. You can sit up the full length of the inner. You can't do that with a Nammatj.

OP
HunterMcWaters
The non-GT version of the Kaitum isn't really that much bigger than a Nammatj, and vertical walls on BOTH ends of the inner. You can sit up the full length of the inner. You can't do that with a Nammatj.

great point, but i reeeeally love that huge vestibule in the GT versions! that is one of the main reasons i like this style tent!

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
great point, but i reeeeally love that huge vestibule in the GT versions! that is one of the main reasons i like this style tent!
I have not been in high winds for hours at a time inside my Nallo 3 GT so can't speak to that issue. I have used mine for a decade from late summer into early winter and never had condensation as an issue due to several vents and the liner plus outer tent layer which is above me as sleep. I do suggest go up 1 more size than the number of people using the tent so a 2 is really for 1, 3 is for 2, etc. Love having my gear out of the weather but not inside where am sleeping. If know the direction of the high winds then could place the sloped end of the tent facing that wind direction. I have backpacked with this and is heavier than other options but I am glad I did not go smaller as I need to sleep well and not feel like in a coffin if weathered in for a day or four.

WKR
These tent names bring back IKEA PTSD. Being held hostage in one of their maze traps by a significant other is one day I hope to never relive.

Do you have to assemble the tents from a couple hundred pieces with easy to follow instructions and an allen wrench?

Hey Hunter! Great to see you on this forum buddy. There is a WEALTH of knowledge here that I've enjoyed soaking up and contributing to where I can.

For those that haven't checked out The Hunters Quest podcast, make sure you do!

Lindsay and I have had the Storm Star for just over a year now. It's held up great in some fun weather. Are you looking for a tent for just yourself or will you be sharing it? The reason I ask is if I got to do it again, for a 2 person and gear tent, I would be getting the Nallo3GT from Hilleberg. I find the Storm Star just a little tight for two, although manageable for sleeping, if we were rained in for a couple days it would be rough. The vestibules are also a little small in the Storm Star for two people. When it comes down to it, for two people I would gladly carry the extra 1lbs that the 3 person Nallo is VS the Storm Star.

All that being said I will be running the Storm Star as a 1 person tent on an Elk trip with a buddy who will have their own tent this September. I think in that scenario there will be plenty of room in the tent and vestibules.

The Storm Star seems to be very well built thus far. I am very impressed with the tent and plan to use it for years to come. I enjoy the way it sets up, keeping the inside dry. It's also very quick and easy to setup/take-down. We have not encountered any moisture issues with it, but did buy the footprint to set the tent on. Any other question related to the Storm Star buddy you know where to get a hold of me ;)

Cheers,
Rob

I don’t know anyone who‘s ever regretted buying a Hilleberg tent. I’ve borrowed a couple from buddies of mine and they are really nice. I don’t own a true 4-season tent, but if I ever bought one, it would be the Nammatj 2. I used one for two weeks in strong snow conditions and it was awesome - dry, warm, and rock solid.

Edit: I’d use the Nammatj 2 as a solo shelter. A 2-person is a 1-person in my book. Good luck!

OP
HunterMcWaters
thanks for all the input boys!

i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Nammatj 2 GT... i really like the design and i will mainly be using it as a 1 man, but in situations where i need more space and storage room. looking forward to using it in Kodiak and beyond! thanks again for the input!

OP
HunterMcWaters
Hey Hunter! Great to see you on this forum buddy. There is a WEALTH of knowledge here that I've enjoyed soaking up and contributing to where I can.

For those that haven't checked out The Hunters Quest podcast, make sure you do!

Lindsay and I have had the Storm Star for just over a year now. It's held up great in some fun weather. Are you looking for a tent for just yourself or will you be sharing it? The reason I ask is if I got to do it again, for a 2 person and gear tent, I would be getting the Nallo3GT from Hilleberg. I find the Storm Star just a little tight for two, although manageable for sleeping, if we were rained in for a couple days it would be rough. The vestibules are also a little small in the Storm Star for two people. When it comes down to it, for two people I would gladly carry the extra 1lbs that the 3 person Nallo is VS the Storm Star.

All that being said I will be running the Storm Star as a 1 person tent on an Elk trip with a buddy who will have their own tent this September. I think in that scenario there will be plenty of room in the tent and vestibules.

The Storm Star seems to be very well built thus far. I am very impressed with the tent and plan to use it for years to come. I enjoy the way it sets up, keeping the inside dry. It's also very quick and easy to setup/take-down. We have not encountered any moisture issues with it, but did buy the footprint to set the tent on. Any other question related to the Storm Star buddy you know where to get a hold of me ;)

Cheers,
Rob
thanks Rob! yes this is a great site and thanks for the shoutout!

gelton

WKR
These tent names bring back IKEA PTSD. Being held hostage in one of their maze traps by a significant other is one day I hope to never relive.

Do you have to assemble the tents from a couple hundred pieces with easy to follow instructions and an allen wrench?
LOL....the Ikea trap...reminds me of this lol:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
no love for the free standing models?

I have an allak but it just gets used for float hunts. I’ve packed it on a sheep hunt before but it’s like 7lbs and not really that spacious.

It is pretty bombproof though and I’ve been glad I had it along during some pretty serious blow downs.