Hip Replacement, Surgeon Replacement Expert advice sought!!

Billinsd

WKR
I put off surgery a year ago and now want to do it in December after hunting season. I called my primary dr.for a referral to my ortho surgeon after a year. I got a referral from my primary dr for some ortho surgeon I'd never heard of. Par for the course, my physician's staff are awful. I looked up the new ortho surgeon and his references were much higher than the other surgeon. The new surgeon is much younger and his staff seems good. The older ortho surgeon seems tired and burned out and his staff is more awful than my primary physician.

So, I think HEY I'll see this younger, better surgeon with competent staff!!!! And have him replace my hip!! HELL YES!!!

So, I call the new Ortho Dr and his staff says the referral note is for your old ortho surgeon, we can't see you. Surgeon's don't want to steal patients. I'm thinking, steal, I want to jump ship!

So, I'm seeing this new surgeon for a "second opinion", wink wink. How do I get him to be my new ortho surgeon? Do Surgeons frown on what I'm doing, Dr shopping?

Thanks Bill

gelton

WKR
Man, in today's world everyone takes logic and reason away from the "patient" "concerned citizen" and towards the bureaucracy, groupthink, and conventional wisdom.

Regardless if it's frowned upon or not, you should have the right to research and decide who gets your hard-earned money (most probably the insurance companies' money whom you have paid dearly).

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Right. I'd like to have this other surgeon do my surgery. That is unless I change my mind after meeting him.. I'm wondering if he would refuse to do my surgery? I don't really care what anyone thinks, I want to get the best medical care possible.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Tell your primary Dr. to give you referral to the Dr. u prefer. I have done it in the past.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Choose the doc who you feel will do the job properly and understands how and what you will be doing for activities after the surgery…experience and knowledge go along ways but also the newest technology and options will aid in your decision and comfort level that things will go as expected ….good luck 👍

I get a lot of second opinion patients in my ophthalmology practice. I dont care that they didnt choose le primarily and i dont care who they saw initially. If they like me and want me to do their surgery then i do it.
I guarantee there will be no fall out from you seekinf a second opinion. Tell the new doc exactly what you told us about the old surgeon (tired and butned/worn out, etc) and i guarantee he will be happy to take care of you, IF he does hip replacements. Joint surgeons are funny, sometimes they soecialize in one or two joints and dont like messing with others.

Marble

WKR
I would talk to my insurance and see if I can self refer. I've done it before. I call the office and have them ask the primary for the records.

I've had some pretty major surgeries with more to follow unfortunately. My advice is to go to a "learning hospital" where they have state of the art equipment and the latest research and physical therapy recommdations. A specific protocol with a track record of results.

Whatever the cost, your hip will dictate your activity level for life. Don't dick around with it and do what's best for you.

Doctors are like any other profession. Some good, some great and some are hit and miss.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

As a physician, I would highly NOT recommend going to a teaching or learning hospital. There will very likely be residents working on you and doing the principal parts of the surgery on your surgery....not the best and most experienced group. Also, I know from experience the attending physicians will many times leave the OR during the surgery and just observe more senior residents.

There is also a reason some doctors gravitate toward teaching facilities vs private practice. A teaching hospital allows a mediocre doc to "hide" in the system whereas a private practice doc needs to be good to stand on their own two feet. I say this with a sincere level of experience and knowledge of the medical system in the US.

You are MUCH MUCH better off finding a good surgeon in the regular world than going to a surgeon in a teaching hospital for nearly all surgeries. One exception would be cancer surgeries where research and very specialized diagnostics might not be available in the private practice realm.

Marble

WKR
As a physician, I would highly NOT recommend going to a teaching or learning hospital. There will very likely be residents working on you and doing the principal parts of the surgery on your surgery....not the best and most experienced group. Also, I know from experience the attending physicians will many times leave the OR during the surgery and just observe more senior residents.

There is also a reason some doctors gravitate toward teaching facilities vs private practice. A teaching hospital allows a mediocre doc to "hide" in the system whereas a private practice doc needs to be good to stand on their own two feet. I say this with a sincere level of experience and knowledge of the medical system in the US.

You are MUCH MUCH better off finding a good surgeon in the regular world than going to a surgeon in a teaching hospital for nearly all surgeries. One exception would be cancer surgeries where research and very specialized diagnostics might not be available in the private practice realm.

With all due respect. I cannot disagree more. I've experienced both worlds and from a patient stand point, my outcome was better than others I have spoken with. Without exception.

My latest example is a need for genetic testing due to a second primary cancer. The doctor 30 years in to practice did not know who was available or what was even possible. Said he would call if he could find out. Talented surgeon for sure. But has no idea (admittedly) what the current offering of the most recent medicine practices are.

One phone call to my prior hospital and they had all of the answers.

It is not a university that I know of, but there are a lot of new doctors so it probably is one of the learning places.

I have had better care pre, during and post surgery/treatment from places that specialize in the need I have. That's where I would go. Not to someone who occasionally shrugs on the joint you need repaired. Find someone who does hips. And its known for it. Not someone who can do everything and anything as needed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Listen man, i am not trying to get into a pissing match with you, but you prvoed my point about my post. I said most things will be better served in private practice with a main exception for cancer type stuff. I wrote your exact scenario in my post....its ok.

i stand by my post. You can stand by yours. They mostly say the same thing.

def90

WKR
You should always get multiple opinions, the truth is many doctors simply don't keep up with current tech, it takes a lot of time to stay current, it is what it is, not to mention competancy and simply the attitude of the guy that is about to rip your hip out.

If you don't get a warm fuzzy feeling move on.

My dad had a bypass surgery done a couple years ago and as far as I can tell from what my dad tells me his doc is still working on the same presumptions and info that docs were working with 30 years ago. He is headed back to a guaranteed second bypass in a few years by following his doctors guidelines.

I too am in the medical field (PA-C). If it were my hip I would want the absolute best surgeon. Some of the best surgeons, in my experience, may not have the best bedside manners. I can deal with that if my joint is done correctly. Of course, if I find a surgeon that is one of the best with great bedside manners it's a done deal.

2nd or 3rd opinion absolutely. It's your hip with the goal of returning to an active lifestyle. Keep looking until you are comfortable with your decision.

Okhotnik

WKR
I put off surgery a year ago and now want to do it in December after hunting season. I called my primary dr.for a referral to my ortho surgeon after a year. I got a referral from my primary dr for some ortho surgeon I'd never heard of. Par for the course, my physician's staff are awful. I looked up the new ortho surgeon and his references were much higher than the other surgeon. The new surgeon is much younger and his staff seems good. The older ortho surgeon seems tired and burned out and his staff is more awful than my primary physician.

So, I think HEY I'll see this younger, better surgeon with competent staff!!!! And have him replace my hip!! HELL YES!!!

So, I call the new Ortho Dr and his staff says the referral note is for your old ortho surgeon, we can't see you. Surgeon's don't want to steal patients. I'm thinking, steal, I want to jump ship!

So, I'm seeing this new surgeon for a "second opinion", wink wink. How do I get him to be my new ortho surgeon? Do Surgeons frown on what I'm doing, Dr shopping?

Thanks Bill
Always get at least a second opinion and I would stay away from teaching facilities for any serious ortho care. Find a surgeon who has done the procedure at least a few hundred times. As mentioned his bed side manner is not important as experience and schedule the surgery beginning of the week first thing in the morning. Don't be afraid or intimidated to ask a lot of questions.

homers

WKR
I'd talk to your prospective surgeons about their experience level with anterior hip replacements. Anterior (front) usually is less invasive and have quicker recovery.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I too am in the medical field (PA-C). If it were my hip I would want the absolute best surgeon. Some of the best surgeons, in my experience, may not have the best bedside manners. I can deal with that if my joint is done correctly. Of course, if I find a surgeon that is one of the best with great bedside manners it's a done deal.
Would you pick a good, 63 year old surgeon, who seems tired and his staff is just awful, or a better, 35ish year old surgeon with excellent staff?

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I'd talk to your prospective surgeons about their experience level with anterior hip replacements. Anterior (front) usually is less invasive and have quicker recovery.

That's generally what the pick unless a patient is obese, right?

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
schedule the surgery beginning of the week first thing in the morning. Don't be afraid or intimidated to ask a lot of questions.
Fantastic and no I'm not afraid to ask questions. I ask lots and lots of questions. The older surgeon seemed put off by my questions. He seems burned out, like I am.

Would you pick a good, 63 year old surgeon, who seems tired and his staff is just awful, or a better, 35ish year old surgeon with excellent staff?
The patient mindset needs to be positive. If you're already down on the 63 year old surgeon, not feeling his style, I would pass. It's like you're expecting a poor outcome. Not the mindset you want going into surgery.

rayporter

WKR
here is another wrinkle to the surgeon deal.

i had knee trouble after a horse fell on me and when i got my referral to the ortho, they liked to specialize in young football players. when they heard my age i almost got refused.

i had back surgery last year and was going to switch surgeons for a second opinion and i had to write a letter saying i did not want the surgeon i had and wanted another ---just for a second opinion. of course after the letter my surgeon would not have had anything to do with me.