HIT OR HALF OUT

Beendare

WKR
Just curious about the advantages and disadvantages about the HIT's and Half outs. More specifically I am looking at the black eagle rampages (halfouts), or easton 5mm axis (HIT's).
Advantage/disadvantage; An insert draws from the straightness of the shaft for a longer distance than most outserts and better contact. Collars can sometimes cause pulling problems with some targets.

I've been running the Axis arrows off and on since they came out....yeah, a long time.

I've run them with Aluminum collars and without. I don't mess with the collars any more as I have had a very small failure rate without collars. The failures are typically when I drill a rock at an angle....and collar or no- the arrow is toast anyway.

I can tell you the numero uno that I've seen with these carbon shafts is to square the ends on a jig. I mill mine on a squared jig with 320 sandpaper and it really makes for a better shaft/BH connection. I used to have more problems with breaking before I did this.

TheTone

WKR
What are people general thoughts on GT kinetics vs Easton axis? I’m probably going to have to buy new arrows this year and these are at top of my list. Would use hit’s in whichever I choose. Also I can get the GT’s much cheaper if they makes a difference

Brendan

WKR
You only need enough iron will collars for your hunting arrows.

For practice, 125 grain field point.

For hunting, remove the field point, 25 grain collar, 100 grain broadhead.

Durability for hunting, and don't have to worry about buying enough for all your arrows and having issues with bag targets.

I use this setup with Easton Axis with Brass HIT insert

fordnut

FNG
Been shooting axis arrows for years. Never had a arrow damage on end. I’ve always used the BAR that Easton recommends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What are people general thoughts on GT kinetics vs Easton axis?

I have both, and my .300 spine Axis are a heck of a lot more durable than my .200 spine Kinetic XT's..........both arrows have HIT's and no collar. But I've only had one Kinetic splinter on the end, the rest of them have snapped well behind the insert. I've not had a single Axis splinter on the end with HIT's, and I don't use BAR's.

After researching (thanks Beendare) and then conducting my own experiments I am convinced that the HIT inserts are much more accurate and reliable than any halfout. My arrows with HIT inserts were simply more accurate than my arrows with halfouts. Of course you can use the Easton HIT inserts with any .204" ID shaft.

Twitch

WKR
Haven't bent one, or noticed any out of trueness irregularities while spinning broadheads.

They are a LOT easier to pull from targets than BAR collars.

Twitch

WKR
I've never found a field point that fit the diameter of 5mm axis cleanly. I've always thought the back of the wider field point looked clunky overhanging the thinner shaft diameter, not to mention snags when pulled out of a target.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never found a field point that fit the diameter of 5mm axis cleanly. I've always thought the back of the wider field point looked clunky overhanging the thinner shaft diameter, not to mention snags when pulled out of a target.

Mine are all smooth transition. I have Axis 300's and use 9/32" Saunders combo points.

TheTone

WKR
I have both, and my .300 spine Axis are a heck of a lot more durable than my .200 spine Kinetic XT's..........both arrows have HIT's and no collar. But I've only had one Kinetic splinter on the end, the rest of them have snapped well behind the insert. I've not had a single Axis splinter on the end with HIT's, and I don't use BAR's.

Thanks. I did some looking at both shafts yesterday and on the kinetics I looked at I was able to see with my naked eye that the wall thickness on the cut end wasn’t the same all the way around the shaft. Maybe I grabbed a bad one but it didn’t give me much confidence. I’m almost certain I’ll go axis

Marble

WKR
Brass HITs and 5 mm axis. I shoot without collars during practice and add them with my broadheads.

My only complaint with the HIT inserts is I cant index them after installing. But it's really just a preference and doesnt make a shit of difference.

Twitch

WKR
Just checked with calipers and apparently all mine fp’s are 10/32 (.03125). My Axis 340 are .262 (9/32 is .281, so those would be pretty close if I could turn some up around my way)

I literally just got some more Ethics inserts in today’s mail, so here’s a pic showing the transition with shaft, and a 10/32 fp.
Exterior dimension of the Ethics is .3040

Attachments

• EEFA72D5-E97B-461E-93A9-AAB68D240C97.jpeg
    EEFA72D5-E97B-461E-93A9-AAB68D240C97.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 0640B10C-6CD3-449D-AADA-1A70990FE10F.jpeg
    0640B10C-6CD3-449D-AADA-1A70990FE10F.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 46

Gumbo

WKR
BE Rampage w/ HITs for 3 or 4 years now for me. I really like that they can't bend or install unsquare, AND you can resquare the shaft if you notice a little wobble on a broadhead (which has always fixed any wobble for me). There are a couple little tricks to installing them consistently though, PM if you are interested. FWIW my field points are also totally smooth with my shafts, but my broadheads are not. I built a dozen broken off at 50gr and used an IW collar to smooth the broadhead transition and beef them up, but I'm not sure I like them. It is just one more component to add variability/potential wobble to the system and so far the larger broadhead ferrule hasn't been an issue for me. I do have the HITs blow back into and banana the shaft occasionally when I hit a rock or other solid object, but this would also likely bend/ruin any other arrow, especially an outsert. To me I'm willing to sacrifice a little durability for an arrow that has no wobble.

Also, my short-lived experience with Gold Tip Kaos Kinetics was horrible. Wall thickness was not consistent, neither was weight, and they were absolutely wobbly when spun. It was so bad I sent about 1/3 of the dozen back to GT. They said they were within spec and gave me a couple new shafts and returned them all. They were WAY worse than the Easton Aftermaths I was shooting.

I can't say enough good about .001 BE Rampage shafts. The tolerances are super tight and they spin perfectly. Plus I like that they are fairly light compared to Axis since I'm only a 28" draw.

OP
BowhuntingBrune3

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious if there are any other arrows like the black eagle spartans? Having an arrow that is over $12 an arrow is a little steep for me. I think this is the way I want to go but was hoping for something a little cheaper.