Hoisting meat

Firebug93

FNG
What do you guys use to hoist quarters. Seems like a small pulley would be a lot easier then straight over a limb. A lot less friction.

cnelk

WKR
You don’t have to go real high. Just enough to get cool air around the meat overnight D9E0DA9B-175C-4DE4-A31D-F082466888D0.jpeg

cnelk

WKR
Sometimes just laying the quarters over a couple logs is sufficient for overnight

Just be sure to have air flow around the meat

0131CE50-A2EA-40F5-9901-6F979E0B5B15.jpeg

A while ago, when starting to hunt elk solo I thought I needed a block and tackle to get the meat off of the ground. So I made up a nice kit and carried it for a season or two but never actually used it.

The idea was that I would climb a tree and screw in a treestand step and then hang the top pulley from it. Then I would hoist the meat up the tree. The kit that I made up is a pulley system made up of lightweight composite pulleys used on sailboats and the cord is a high strength small diameter super fiber that I can't remember. It might be Dyneema. All of the components are sized to haul up 300-400# of meat into a tree. It has a 4:1 ratio so only 100# is needed to pull it up. I tested it by hauling some logs up into a tree. It works! I vacuum packed it all together. I'd be happy to sell it for half of what I paid. Send a message if you're interested.