Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Currently booked with Golden eagle, for this September. What would you guys do, Hunt the high water marks or wait for next year or possibly even later. I'm just hesitant to pay the $ and not get the full experience since I'm so limited in where I can even shoot a bull ?
What days are you scheduled sir? I am too and at this point, like a few others, I plan to see it through. I think if GEO will be very clear about opportunity and will work even harder to put their guys in positions to be successful.

Forrest1

FNG
Classified Approved
What days are you scheduled sir? I am too and at this point, like a few others, I plan to see it through. I think if GEO will be very clear about opportunity and will work even harder to put their guys in positions to be successful.
The 6th - the 15th is our dates

I think comments like you mentioned from RAM are driven by an approach to get people to unit 26 where the closure does not extend. I think this is a decent approach depending on when you go, and can be used in conjunction with also utilizing the submerged lands approach. I'm sure this is also part of GEO's thinking.

This is one thing for late August hunters, but being someone going in September, I have to consider the logistical issue of weather on the north slope and being able to be retrieved.

I told Bryan that me and the wife are game for hunting the north slope if there are caribou to be had. Just just get us there. We can worry about getting back after the fact. Lol. We are to hunt 9-15 but our return flight to Texas isn’t until the 21st or 22nd. And even still, We don’t really care if we miss it. Our goal is to hunt and kill two nice bulls come hell or high water regardless of weather. If I have to sit in a tent a few extra days, Im good with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who on here has hunted up on the north slope? What are the main difference between unit 23 and 26 during a mid august caribou hunt?

Who on here has hunted up on the north slope? What are the main difference between unit 23 and 26 during a mid august caribou hunt?

I have never hunted Alaska. But from what I was told via RAM, the caribou are more so in 26 during august because it’s higher elevation. They migrate down into 23 more so during September. From my gathering, the September hunters are going to be the ones that suffer a little more from the closure of 23 because that’s where RAM typically hunts during September as the caribou migrate down. I believe that’s the reasoning to set up a base camp with a plane to be used to get over the brooks range and onto the north slope. Honestly, the view of flying over the brooks range would be worth it. Be a hell of a view.

Slugz

WKR
I told Bryan that me and the wife are game for hunting the north slope if there are caribou to be had. Just just get us there. We can worry about getting back after the fact. Lol. We are to hunt 9-15 but our return flight to Texas isn’t until the 21st or 22nd. And even still, We don’t really care if we miss it. Our goal is to hunt and kill two nice bulls come hell or high water regardless of weather. If I have to sit in a tent a few extra days, Im good with it.

You will have a blast Im sure. Great attitude and plan also! Good luck and have fun

RAM and GEO both have great reputations and have been doing this for years. I think it’s important for anyone hunting this year to remember that this isn’t a new proposal, it’s been a possibility that this would pass probably every year they’ve been flying up there so I am sure they have had plenty of time to come up with back up plans. I would trust what either of them say.

ALSavage7

FNG
So as we all hurry up and wait, some of us with Alaska experience ought to try and help out those haven't experienced The Last Frontier. My intent is to not get completely off topic but obviously we have a group here with some interest.

1. If the weather is warm, the caribou may be up higher. Why? Alaska bugs are horrendous. Caribou don't like them either. White socks, no seeums, biting gnats and the Alaska state bird...the mosquito. If you're taking that 25% deet stuff you're wasting your money. That's a stiff drink for these bugs. 100% does well but eats plastic and irritates some people's skin. I recommend bug head nets and bug gloves as well.

2. You are in the middle of absolutely nowhere. When 9/11 happened there were a lot of hunters that got stuck in the field due to flight restrictions. When they were picked up several days later, outfitters brought newspapers to them so they could find out what had happened in the world. With that being said, you are in the middle of nowhere, bring the appropriate array of medications that you may need. Pain killers, antibiotics, regular prescription meds, etc. CVS hasn't opened any stores in the tundra that I'm aware of.

3. Buy good quality gear. This is not a whitetail hunt in your backyard. Alaska can exact a heavy price for partaking in her bounty. You get what you pay for. Base layer to outer layer, boots to hats...will it protect you in harsh elements? (Caveat: you may not speak my name to your significant other and say "well, he said I needed expensive gear"

Happy Hunting!

Does anyone know of cost implications (increases) resulting from flying longer and further than originally planned when the contracts were signed?

So as we all hurry up and wait, some of us with Alaska experience ought to try and help out those haven't experienced The Last Frontier. My intent is to not get completely off topic but obviously we have a group here with some interest.

1. If the weather is warm, the caribou may be up higher. Why? Alaska bugs are horrendous. Caribou don't like them either. White socks, no seeums, biting gnats and the Alaska state bird...the mosquito. If you're taking that 25% deet stuff you're wasting your money. That's a stiff drink for these bugs. 100% does well but eats plastic and irritates some people's skin. I recommend bug head nets and bug gloves as well.

2. You are in the middle of absolutely nowhere. When 9/11 happened there were a lot of hunters that got stuck in the field due to flight restrictions. When they were picked up several days later, outfitters brought newspapers to them so they could find out what had happened in the world. With that being said, you are in the middle of nowhere, bring the appropriate array of medications that you may need. Pain killers, antibiotics, regular prescription meds, etc. CVS hasn't opened any stores in the tundra that I'm aware of.

3. Buy good quality gear. This is not a whitetail hunt in your backyard. Alaska can exact a heavy price for partaking in her bounty. You get what you pay for. Base layer to outer layer, boots to hats...will it protect you in harsh elements? (Caveat: you may not speak my name to your significant other and say "well, he said I needed expensive gear"

Happy Hunting!

Having never been to Alaska or on the tundra, my wife and I are sparing no expense on gear. We won’t be renting gear but using our own. It to mention clothing for any situation we may encounter. May not be “glamping” as far as a gas stove and pots and pans to cook on, but we are no stranger to mountain house and instant coffee. Lol. Should stay warm with the hilleberg black label and western mountaineering 0 degree bag.

I'd be prepared too. I know im budgeting more for that exact purpose.

Ram hasn’t said anything to us about increase in cost to us. But I know they have higher operating costs due to fuel and logistics. The logistics of shuttling people in and out of the field is what I was told will be the biggest obstacle.

RAM told us we will be fine. They will just have to work out logistics and take us further in from Kotz. Bryan is responsive and helpful. Our group is not nervous about our plans being disrupted.
Bryan told our group the same thing. He said we, he would make sure we taken care of.

Has anyone heard anything from Brooks Range Aviation on if this is going to affect there game plan? I’m going with them last week of August-first week of September.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone heard anything from Brooks Range Aviation on if this is going to affect there game plan? I’m going with them last week of August-first week of September.
Haven't heard but I doubt it changes much but the Nigu closure will affect a few of the lakes they use.

BRA is on floats and most of the Kotz guys are on wheels so that will help but 26A going to be a busy area this year.

Jeff1980

FNG
Starting to see some significant increase in cost for the plane tickets to get up there. Hoping we hear something soon from Golden Eagle so we can start making travel arrangements.

Starting to see some significant increase in cost for the plane tickets to get up there. Hoping we hear something soon from Golden Eagle so we can start making travel arrangements.

Yeah, delivered av gas prices are really shooting up. I mentioned this in another post in another thread, but it's now costing us a couple hundred bucks for just an hour and a half of mountain flying time with an off airport landing thrown in. Up here in Alaska, transport clients are going to see a significant price hike this coming fall.

Forrest1

FNG
Classified Approved

I spoke with Jarrod at Golden eagle over 2 weeks ago now and he said he was waiting on some of the authorities to let him know if they would open up some areas for his hunters (which I can't imagine they would) but he said he should hear back in a week or week and a half. So idk I would love to get some answers !

JakeSCH

WKR
Jarrod's going to sent out the email today, but basically he doesn't believe it is in anyone's best interest to hunt this year. Hoping next year changes with all the law suits going on.

That’s a bummer.
Did he say why? Will he still take you out if you’re just hell-bent on going?

Last edited: