Holli's Story

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations to your daughter and you ! I don't know if my heart wouldn't burst with pride if I was you. I know boot camp and service sure changed me for the better.

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations to your daughter and you ! I don't know if my heart wouldn't burst with pride if I was you. I know boot camp and service sure changed me for the better.

Thanks James! Appreciate your Service to our Country.

I know I Boot Camp didn't do me any harm, as well as my term of enlistment!

You guys have raised an amazing young lady!! Thank her for her service on behalf of my family.

Had a friend that lived in round mountain years ago. Bob Deymeyer. Any chance you know him? He's 62 now. Left maybe 20 yrs ago. Timber faller.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Jeff, man, all one can say is WOW. Pretty damn cool story and you should be proud as hell. It is just not anyone that can graduate from the marine basic--she should be proud also and tell her thanks for her service. My nephew surprised everyone at Christmas time and showed up at one of his families dinners unannounced. He had been over in the sandbox for his first tour. And to think I used to "babysit" him.............

Congrats to your family.

Randy

joehunter8301

Lil-Rokslider
Jeff congrats to your daughter. Beastmode came down with Chris an I last spring with his daughter an hunted Turks so y'all got some mutual buddies :)

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
You guys have raised an amazing young lady!! Thank her for her service on behalf of my family.

Had a friend that lived in round mountain years ago. Bob Deymeyer. Any chance you know him? He's 62 now. Left maybe 20 yrs ago. Timber faller.

Thanks Vance

We moved here in December of '92...so basically 21 yrs ago.

So we probably crossed paths, but I don't remember his name.

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Holli called me Today. She was able to talk with one of the girls who was able to complete the Infantry Training.

She confirmed what I told Holli...the killer part is going to be the 12 mile road march with the 90 pound pack. Holli weighs all of 115...and she has a lean frame. She has to maintain a pace of 3 mph minimum.

I told her to do squats with as much weight as possible, to get her hips ready for it. Mentally I know she can do it...she will not give up until she drops. But physically, this will push her to the absolute limit.

Any advice from you guys would help...I know many of you have logged a gazillion miles with super heavy packs!

Beastmode

WKR
Mentality is half the game Jeff. If she wants it bad she is halfway there. Squats are good. Any exercise at this point will help. Does she have access to a stair machine or even real stairs? Doing this with some weight and slowly working your way up to a desired weight is what I do.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeff congratulations you have every reason to be filled with pride. Thank Holli for her service even with all the current changes I'll bet women have it a little different and tougher trying to blaze the way to something new. The greatest thing the army thought me was what my breaking point was. Most people never ever push themselves to that point and I learned I had much more in the tank than I would have guessed. I willed my body to things that still amazes me. You can't get to that point if there is no chance to fail. I'm sure she'll kick ass at school whatever happens hope she gets that swagger in her step from giving100% its something that stays with you long after a military career

Stid2677

WKR
I was an instructor for the Army for Air Assault School, the 12 mile ruck march was the number one eliminator for females. The human body can carry 1/3 of body weight for great distances, however as weight is increased to 1/2 of body weight that distance is dramatically reduced. Now, when weight approach your own body weight the task becomes daunting. How many men 200lb men could carry 200lbs on their back for 12 miles???

A couple things, when I was in the service we NEVER were taught how to pack a pack or even have it fit to our body, they just gave us a bag of gear and said stuff it in your pack and move out...

Packing that kind of weight will be a MONUMENTAL challenge,, for her. The pack she is issued is designed for a man, not sure if it will even be possible, but if it can be fit to her that would be a huge advantage. That heavy weight will have to be carried on her hips,, females lack the upper body strength to shoulder carry heavy loads for long distances. Heck, most men I see try to carry weight all wrong.

Research how to pack a heavy pack and try to get her that info, heavy stuff closest to her back and the light bulky stuff towards to rear of the pack away from the body.

Hydration will be key, dehydration was one of the main reasons I saw that made trainees fall out,, stress that to her.

She needs to train, with that weight I imagine that will be a challenge, but if she gets any free time, ruck up and push hard. That weight will put a lot of strain on her feet and blisters is another cause for dropouts. So boot fit and foot conditioning will be important.

Trust me when I say,, many of the "Old Boys" will be rooting for females to fail.. The cards are going to be stacked against her, but I always respected the females soldiers that pulled their weight.

Try to counsel her to never let them see her cry,, no crying in combat... Nothing wrong with a good cry and I have had my share,, but there is a time and place and under the microscope that this will be is not that time.

Write to her often,, she will need you Dad.

Steve

Ray

WKR
Get her a roll of Leukotape P for her feet. It works better than duct tape for hot spots. If she already knows where potential problem spots on her feet are, tape up before hand.

I've only found the stuff on line through amazon.

Beastmode

WKR
I was an instructor for the Army for Air Assault School, the 12 mile ruck march was the number one eliminator for females. The human body can carry 1/3 of body weight for great distances, however as weight is increased to 1/2 of body weight that distance is dramatically reduced. Now, when weight approach your own body weight the task becomes daunting. How many men 200lb men could carry 200lbs on their back for 12 miles???

A couple things, when I was in the service we NEVER were taught how to pack a pack or even have it fit to our body, they just gave us a bag of gear and said stuff it in your pack and move out...

Packing that kind of weight will be a MONUMENTAL challenge,, for her. The pack she is issued is designed for a man, not sure if it will even be possible, but if it can be fit to her that would be a huge advantage. That heavy weight will have to be carried on her hips,, females lack the upper body strength to shoulder carry heavy loads for long distances. Heck, most men I see try to carry weight all wrong.

Research how to pack a heavy pack and try to get her that info, heavy stuff closest to her back and the light bulky stuff towards to rear of the pack away from the body.

Hydration will be key, dehydration was one of the main reasons I saw that made trainees fall out,, stress that to her.

She needs to train, with that weight I imagine that will be a challenge, but if she gets any free time, ruck up and push hard. That weight will put a lot of strain on her feet and blisters is another cause for dropouts. So boot fit and foot conditioning will be important.

Trust me when I say,, many of the "Old Boys" will be rooting for females to fail.. The cards are going to be stacked against her, but I always respected the females soldiers that pulled their weight.

Try to counsel her to never let them see her cry,, no crying in combat... Nothing wrong with a good cry and I have had my share,, but there is a time and place and under the microscope that this will be is not that time.

Write to her often,, she will need you Dad.

Steve

Very good advise Steve. You bring up a very valid point about the pack weight to body weight. I didn't bring that up because I don't like to discourage but this is very real. I am in descent shape and I won't try and pack my own weight for very far at all unless in an emergency. Jeff how long does she have to prepare for this?

Browtine

WKR
Awesome story Jeff. Darn near brought tears to my eyes being a father of two girls. You did good brining her up. Thank her for her service and we'll be rooting for her!

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Steve

Thank You...this is awesome info.

One of the things about Holli ...is you cannot break her. I tried for 18 years. She watched girls all around her break down in tears in boot camp.

One good thing about Infantry training is they have weekends off...so I can Skype or talk to her for the next two months. I will research the pack and give her a recipe for how to make it as usable as possible. I truly appreciate advice from a guy who has seen this in real time. The ruck will be the very last challenge so she will have a couple months to get ready...and she can use the off time to prepare. I've already told her sleep and hydration will be two of her best weapons.

OP
elkmtngear

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
Get her a roll of Leukotape P for her feet. It works better than duct tape for hot spots. If she already knows where potential problem spots on her feet are, tape up before hand.

I've only found the stuff on line through amazon.

Thanks Ray I will try to find it for her

JPD350

WKR
You and your wife have done a great job as parents, kudos to you both for raising such an outstanding young American.

I also would like to thank your daughter for her service and wish her much success in her journey.

Thanks for sharing her with us!
JP