Homemade Recurve

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I've made a good amount of glass recurves but this is the first all wood recurve. Pretty fun project, like any build I ran into some snags along the way. Anyway, I did a little rabbit hunting with it, and hope to shoot a deer with it this season. Now that I've shot it a bit I put together a video testing it out and evaluating it. Check it out!

And the full build...
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
C
Thanks for sharing I enjoyed your youtube page. Great skills you have
Thanks! I took some time off YouTube but I'm working on a few things and plan on uploading more regularly. I spent a ton of time this winter on a Osage two piece recurve and had it blow up on me so that kinda put the damper on it lol

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Really cool video, I have a Osage log I was wanting to cut a bow out of but watching your video gives me second thoughts, a lot of experience and tools to do it right.

OP
C
Really cool video, I have a Osage log I was wanting to cut a bow out of but watching your video gives me second thoughts, a lot of experience and tools to do it right.
Osage can be tricky if it's not straight but it works really well with a draw knife. Have you built a bow before, or is that your first try?

OP
C
No I got the log years ago, was going to try then, now from what I see it might be wiser to find some who has experience.
Stave bows and board bows both have their difficulties. My opinion; board bows are just as tricky in their own way, but way cheaper and easier to obtain if you screw up. If I'd never built a bow; I would do 2-3 board bows and get good at tillering, then make your Osage log. That way if they don't turn out you just go back to Menards and get another $10 board. The good news... You could probably crank out a rough bow in a Saturday. Tricky thing with Osage is not violating a growth ring on the back, but if you put a backing on it, it can be still be ok. You could always slap some rawhide on it, if you weren't sure. I got a couple videos on them in the playlist.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, good videos, I will have to subscribe but I am working a 12hr 6 day week plus travel time so my bow making will be on hold for awhile.