Hornady Load Data Conservative?

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
Been loading up some 7 mag recently with 150g ELDX for a Tikka Lite. Seems that the Hornady Manual is very low with their starting load and many grains of powder underloaded for the max compared to other manuals. This is also is every powder and bullet combo across the board. What is everyone's experience loading from the Hornady manual?

150g ELDX Hornady Manual

1676228976810.png

Nosler Manual with 150g bullets. Note the min load is OVER the Hornady max loading.

1676228911424.png

This seems to ring true with other load data I'm finding (Lee, Hodgdon, Accurate). Nosler is the hottest load and Hornady as the lowest. Is this more of a function of the brass being used or a case of lawyers keeping the pressures down?

I ran up to 67g of powder the other day and wasn't experiencing any pressure signs. If I can safely play around in the 67.8 - 72.5 range trying to find the best charge weight and seating depth that would give me a little boost of confidence.

Rob5589

WKR
Surely part of it is liability. Purely a guess on my part is what velocity works with "X" bullet. Too fast up close vs enough speed at distance for proper function. Interestingly on the Hornady podcast the guys spoke about dropping down a grain from max if they didn't see the accuracy they were looking for. Achieving the speed you need without excess saves you on brass life, chamber wear, powder use, etc.

Many different variables at work here. Manufacturers don't use the same powder lot, they don't use the same barrel, chambers are not cut with the same reamer, they are not using the same primer unless stated, and that is before bullet characteristics that contribute to pressure are put in the mix.

This doesn't show the velocity achieved with each charge weight in the Hornady data. How does it compare to the Nosler data?

What is it that you are looking for in this load that will give a "little boost of confidence" that the Hornady data won't provide?

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t compare the charge weights as much as what they are showing for velocity. As pharm says above different bullets will have different actual charge weights for the same velocity.

With all load data I look at the max velocity and work up to it at the bench. When I hit max book velocity it close, that’s max charge weight for me for that specific bullet/case/primer/powder/coal.

If you don’t know the velocity via chrono you can still make great ammo. But you are kinda flying blind regarding pressure.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Example: 6 arc where I am using the Hornady load data. For a 108 eld bullet/varget the charge weight is 27.2, velocity is ~2450. In the Hodgson data, for a 107 Sierra bullet/varget the charge weight is 25.8 for velocity of 2541. Since the Hodgdon data is for a 24” barrel and the Hornady is for 18” , subtract 20-25fps/inch x6” barrel. So the 2541 is now ~2400. Pretty close to the Hornady within 50fps. In this case the Hodgson data doesn’t look conservative. But really take note of the charge weight differences of 1.4 grains. Different bullet/components.

I just listened to their internal ballistics podcast, they claim the load data comes straight from their pressure transducers and the test guys in the lab. They also said that in modern actions/chambers, with tight tolerances, the traditional signs like flattened primers or ejecter marks are happening at 68-80kpsi, which is way too high for safety.

push higher if you want - but you own that decision and whatever consequences it brings.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I just listened to their internal ballistics podcast, they claim the load data comes straight from their pressure transducers and the test guys in the lab. They also said that in modern actions/chambers, with tight tolerances, the traditional signs like flattened primers or ejecter marks are happening at 68-80kpsi, which is way too high for safety.

push higher if you want - but you own that decision and whatever consequences it brings.
I listened to that one yesterday, very informative breakdown. I was never an overt Hornady fan and quite honestly I despised podcasts, but those episodes are packed with good content. I appreciate what they're doing and putting out.