Horseback daypack

ahenry82

FNG
Riding with a pack sucks, outfitter last year had horn bags for lunch and water and small items an we tied the extra clothes and what not on the back while hunting, everything went on pack animals goin into camp and when it was time to ride out

PNWGATOR

WKR
It’s a tough riddle to crack for sure!

I want a pack with all of the necessary contents for day hunts PLUS the ability to pack a full load of game back to the stock.

A motivated maker would own the market if they offered a ‘transformer’ like system that created a bag system that doubled as pommel/saddle bags and a frame/harness system that could breakdown and tie off behind the cantle.

Take a look at the Mystery Ranch Pop Up series of packs and see if you can downsize enough to secure it behind the cantle.

I agree with a lot of what’s been said, a big pack isn’t a good idea imo especially if you’re fairly inexperienced on a horse.

Low limbs and a frame pack can be a disaster.

I ride my mules with a kifaru tail gunner, I think a good Fanny type pack with shoulder straps is the best way to go, I can keep essentials on me, the rest goes in saddle bags….The beauty of horses, you’re not packing meat….

We did an hour and a half ride in and out on a drop camp a couple years ago (8 miles total). I used a Mystery Ranch Terraframe 80 (about 4800 cu in). It had 12 - 15 lbs of gear and was cinched down pretty tight to reduce the overall volume. The pack was not an issue for me or the horse. I have been on a horse occasionally over the years, but would not consider myself an experienced rider.

I did have one issue. The buckles securing the lid loosened up over time with the gate of the horse. It was flopping around and needed to be adjusted several times. My inReach was in the lid and was damaged. I swapped those buckles for the auto-locking type and have not had any issues since.

I agree with others about getting the guide's input.... And choosing a pack that has auto-locking buckles where needed could be important.

Enjoy your hunt and good luck!

WyoHuntr

FNG
The guide would have a good opinion. I say that because it depends on the hunt. They might stick to terrain they can ride on, and never stray far from the horses.They might tie the horses and hike into some steep holes where you need all your gear on your back.... and possibly haul meat/rack out to a packhorse. I've seen horse hunters meander around never pulling their butts out of the saddle, and I've seen them park and walk into steep country.

I'm used to tying my horses to a tree, then hunting on foot. The slopes are too steep to get a horse into, so I need to haul meat back down/up to them. I throw my pack on the packhorse. If I do have it on my back there isn't enough bulk to sag it. I cinch it with everything up high and let it ride high on my hips, so it's not hitting the saddle.

yfarm

WKR
Our outfitter and guide required the packs to go in the panniers on the packhorse that accompanied us every day. The guides pack went in the same place.

yfarm

WKR
When I was 12 or so we had a horse on the farm for the summer didn't ride it much and we got rid of it, that was 28 years ago...so not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was in much the same situation last year with a remote riding history in forgiving terrain. In early September I went to a 5 day wilderness packing school in the Gila which significantly increased my knowlege and situational awareness for riding shelf trails and in timber with pack animals. In October on our hunt, the first day we rode 7 hours into camp and every day rode 1-3 hours out to where we hunted. Riding in mud and snow on 14” wide trails in the side of a canyon was a daily occurrence as well as daily proximity to grizzlies. Would suggest some consideration about refreshing your riding skills before your hunt. Lost an hour one day when we stopped to glass a valley hillside, two riders got off to glass and dropped their reins thinking the horses would ground tie, wrong. Both took off for camp and the guide and I then took off after them, I was in front slowly gaining on the horses when my mule went on afterburner. The guide was coming up behind me and mule thought he was about to be eaten. Never know what equines will do.

Last edited:

Hardtak

FNG
Never ride a horse with a pack. You come off and it is the easiest way to break your ribs and back. When was the last time you saw a cowboy wear a backpack ? Never because they know better. Put your chit in saddle bags. If you can't be 10 feet without your purse put it around the horn or wrap it up in your slicker and tie it in roll on the back of the saddle.

OP
F

Feare

FNG
I was in much the same situation last year with a remote riding history in forgiving terrain. In early September I went to a 5 day wilderness packing school in the Gila which significantly increased my knowlege and situational awareness for riding shelf trails and in timber with pack animals. In October on our hunt, the first day we rode 7 hours into camp and every day rode 1-3 hours out to where we hunted. Riding in mud and snow on 14” wide trails in the side of a canyon was a daily occurrence as well as daily proximity to grizzlies. Would suggest some consideration about refreshing your riding skills before your hunt. Lost an hour one day when we stopped to glass a valley hillside, two riders got off to glass and dropped their reins thinking the horses would ground tie, wrong. Both took off for camp and the guide and I then took off after them, I was in front slowly gaining on the horses when my mule went on afterburner. The guide was coming up behind me and mule thought he was about to be eaten. Never know what equines will do.

That's kinda my fear put all the stuff into the packs on the horse and for whatever reason the horse takes off and your stuck with minimal gear on you. Or jump off the horses with small minimal pack and you end up chasing a bugle for the day and you're good knows how far from you stuff. I've gone out for a quick hunts that turn into an all day endeavor a few times, with weather, mountains, bears ect it's hard not to want a few safety items around. I figured whatever pack I use would be in a saddle bag and jump off and throw it on and tie up the horses just not sure what people have used that work well. Kinda feel like I've had a million questions for the guide and figured I could reach out to others rather than sending another message to the guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like mentioned above, 99% chance the guide won't let you ride with a pack on anyway.
Something like a Kuiu Venture 2300 & put it in the pannier. I also carried a dry bag in the pannier that had stuff like game bags, food, rain gear, etc that I didn't want or need to carry with me all day

tdhanses

WKR
Only time I wore my pack was when we hauled my bull off the mountain, otherwise it was in the panniers.

I used the Stone Glacier Avail 2200.

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree with a lot of what has been said on here, there is no great solution and it’s uncomfortable at best and potentially dangerous.

I try not to ride with a pack on, but in the times that I have, I always unbuckle my waist belt. I want to be able to get out of the pack or throw it if I need to.

I know two guys who hit the dirt hard after their pack got stuck, one on a tree and one on a packhorse. No serious injuries, but they were pretty lucky.

P Carter

WKR
Prezactly......
It would appear so.

I’m not an experienced rider. But the outfitter and all the guides wore their packs all the time. Never said anything about it and I ever thought different. Heck, I was wearing my pack and carrying my bow on a sling.

jmez

WKR
Tie it behind the saddle. That is what stings are for.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Coues123

FNG
In my many years of hunting horseback and guiding many first timers and experienced riders , I'll share my opinion.
#1 can you be off your horse and rifle/bow in hand in less than 3 seconds from the time game is spotted. If your pack interferes with that down size until you are comfortable with it.
#2 if you didn't get a shot can you be back in the saddle in around 5 seconds and ready for a horse race. If you're uncomfortable don't get in a horse race with the elk.
I carry a small camelback with about a liter of water, Havlon, enough para cord to get 4 quarters in a tree, Inreach, phone, two lighters and one fire starter. It rides just off the cantle so it doesn't catch when going under limbs. I've done this for years and never hung it up on anything. If you need to be on the run, you have to get anything off the saddle or out of the panniers.

I put a whole different pack on the pack horse for when it's time to hunt on foot.

Your outfitter and guide get the final say on it. Their style of hunting and knowledge of the area will dictate what gets done.

8grenade

FNG
I bought an Eberlestock scabbard to fit my rifle. My plan is to strap it to the horse on the way in. Then when I start hiking to hunt it will be strapped to my backpack. I've used it on my backpack and it worked well there. Haven't had a chance to try it on the horse yet. That's my plan anyway.