House design, what is the purpose of this design?

Storage space. Don't cut the ceiling joists/bottom chord of the loft rafter to make room for pull down attic stairs. The bottom chord of those trusses provide tension to prevent the rafters from pushing the walls out.

I would look at getting/making a ship ladder to access that area. Get one with hardware that allows the ladder to be stored completely vertical against the wall when not in use.

Rich M

WKR
I have a pull-down attic ladder in my garage and we put stuff in attic.

It looks like a storage space to me.

TaperPin

WKR
Is it just a poorly integrated space? A design feature we don't understand?
I can relate to that space. In the early 2000s I was a finish carpenter in Wyoming and, as you know, storage space is often lacking in many house designs. Architects also reuse designs over and over - there may be 50 identical houses sprinkled across the state, despite how “custom” the plans were originally. Architects have a way of guiding choice that miraculously match up with a design that’s already in CAD, with a few changes. Wyoming is also the wild Wild West with many rural areas not having as many building codes to follow outside of city limits, at least back then. That influences the number and type of changes made on the fly. It wouldn’t surprise me if the architect was in Riverton or Casper - those working around Jackson are often overpriced.

If the house was originally designed for premade trusses, we’d often suggest a stick built roof so storage space can be built into unused spaces, and it gives more work to the carpenters - win win. That kind of change isn’t usually done when the space is inspected since it would require an engineer to approve the change from trusses. I’d expect the original design to use trusses over the bedrooms and garage and not have that storage space at all. The bench for the mountain lion on the other end of the room was probably was in the design - some like it, and some don’t then we’d frame it in.

Great house and great location!

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I can relate to that space. In the early 2000s I was a finish carpenter in Wyoming and, as you know, storage space is often lacking in many house designs. Architects also reuse designs over and over - there may be 50 identical houses sprinkled across the state, despite how “custom” the plans were originally. Architects have a way of guiding choice that miraculously match up with a design that’s already in CAD, with a few changes. Wyoming is also the wild Wild West with many rural areas not having as many building codes to follow outside of city limits, at least back then. That influences the number and type of changes made on the fly. It wouldn’t surprise me if the architect was in Riverton or Casper - those working around Jackson are often overpriced.

If the house was originally designed for premade trusses, we’d often suggest a stick built roof so storage space can be built into unused spaces, and it gives more work to the carpenters - win win. That kind of change isn’t usually done when the space is inspected since it would require an engineer to approve the change from trusses. I’d expect the original design to use trusses over the bedrooms and garage and not have that storage space at all. The bench for the mountain lion on the other end of the room was probably was in the design - some like it, and some don’t then we’d frame it in.

Great house and great location!

Thanks, the area we are in has no building code still, no enforcement (maybe septic).

I have several versions of the plans (not the final) and 2 truss quotes. We also have on site a small pile of lumber that is obviously taken apart trusses and appears to date with the build date. I have on my list to try to see if the original architecture firm has the final plans (doubtful I know, house is 2008). The house is old enough that if there were any horrific issues, I think they would have shown themselves.

There is plenty of quirky stuff, but a lot of stuff is exceptionally nicely done and custom. There isn't much I'm afraid to mess with so I'm not intimidated, mostly curious.

TaperPin

WKR
Thanks, the area we are in has no building code still, no enforcement (maybe septic).

I have several versions of the plans (not the final) and 2 truss quotes. We also have on site a small pile of lumber that is obviously taken apart trusses and appears to date with the build date. I have on my list to try to see if the original architecture firm has the final plans (doubtful I know, house is 2008). The house is old enough that if there were any horrific issues, I think they would have shown themselves.

There is plenty of quirky stuff, but a lot of stuff is exceptionally nicely done and custom. There isn't much I'm afraid to mess with so I'm not intimidated, mostly curious.
I never felt the lack of building codes resulted in poorly built homes for the most part - builders are hired more on their reputation and the depth of knowledge of the average carpenter in Wyoming is better than most states. Custom carpentry is often seen as a legitimate alternative to college or more technical trades - that is very rare anywhere else. My assistant carpenter had 20 years experience and both laborers could compete well with many journeymen elsewhere.

blkqi

WKR
That space was probably left open simply to help ventilate hot air.