How can I like the taste of venison

That which must not be said...venison is nowhere near as tasty as beef...to most people. This applies to we hunters as well.

Lower your expectations and embrace the awesome nutrition of this, one of the most healthy of all foods. Dress it up if your taste buds require it.

Shot placement,the way the animals is gutted ,clean and the way the meat is handled has a lot to do with the meat flavor, I’ve been eating venison all my life and would rather have it any day over beef. But I’ve also had folks make venison that I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole. Also it’s important to remove the glands in the back hams and front shoulders by the neck. Most people don’t know about them and just grind it up with there hamburger and wonder why it tasted deerish 🤮

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Whether you butcher it or have it done, be sure to remove all silver skin from any cuts before cooking it. And don't over cook it.

houser52

FNG
Try pressure cooked deer steaks. Put steak/s in the cooker, add an envelope of McCormicks Slow Cooker Pot Roast Seasoning, potatoes, carrots, etc, add water to just cover ingredients. Pressure cook for about 20 minutes after pressure is reached. So tender and tastes just like beef pot roast. Good stuff.

Never have had complaints about venison that I prepare, but I butcher and package all of my own. It takes much longer, but removing all fat and silver skin from venison significantly improves the flavor. It seems that much of the “gamey” flavor resides in the fat

I can’t seem to enjoy the taste of venison, even though I’ve eaten about 4 deer and decided to start hunting to be less reliant on the factory farming industry. I’ve tried preparing it all sorts of ways. Is there something I’m missing? Should I stop hunting?
Lot of good advice here. For my part, I have a deer processor who ages meat in an igloo cooler which the meat is on ice and water allowed to freely drain. He replenishes the ice frequently (at least daily) for 3-4 days.
I get backstrap, tenderloin and rest is ground venison. I prefer 10% beef fat mixed in, but these Georgia boys stick to their pork fat, and it’s quite good. They know what they’re doing.

Besides venison burgers, we do a lot of casseroles like Shepherd’s Pie, especially for those family that are put off by venison.

Finally Hank Shaw has a lot of venison recipes on his site. Good cook books too.

So just keep shooting and experimenting!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Lot of good advice here. For my part, I have a deer processor who ages meat in an igloo cooler which the meat is on ice and water allowed to freely drain. He replenishes the ice frequently (at least daily) for 3-4 days.
I get backstrap, tenderloin and rest is ground venison. I prefer 10% beef fat mixed in, but these Georgia boys stick to their pork fat, and it’s quite good. They know what they’re doing.

Besides venison burgers, we do a lot of casseroles like Shepherd’s Pie, especially for those family that are put off by venison.

Finally Hank Shaw has a lot of venison recipes on his site. Good cook books too.

So just keep shooting and experimenting!
I wet age mine for at least 7 days, better with 10. And yes keep meat covered with ice. I put draining racks in bottom of chest, then alternate layer of meat then ice until chest is full. last layer is ice. Always keep layer of ice on top of meat.

ksoden

FNG
Cut into 3/4 to 1 inch thick pieces, little bit of dales marinade to coat, Lawry's seasoned salt, garlic salt and Cavendars. Cook in air fryer at 400 for 9 min, flip meat half way through. Quick and easy.

I realize the OP's long gone, but for the others curious and still reading... one of our favorite ways is Mississippi Potroast, either in the slow cooker or pressure cooker. Two deer shanks and go through the normal process and it's restaurant quality food. If the flavor (good, not bad flavor) then you can put it over mashed taders and the taders soak some of it out. I like it without the taders, kiddo likes it with. I'll take the shanks over the backstraps any day.

edit: Also like everyone else said stop overcooking it, venison should always be red in the middle unless you're doing a roast and such that cooks the heck out of it by design.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
  • I find cooking style doesn't alter the flavor. It just alters the texture.
  • Aging venison can help with both flavor and tenderness as others have mentioned.
  • Grind it and don't add fat. Add it yourself when you cook so you get exactly what you want.
  • Cook it in tomato based sauces like chili and bolognaise. The acidity in the tomatoes takes the edge off the flavor. Asian sauces and curries can be really good as well.
  • Barbacoa in an instapot
  • Get it made into brats, pepperoni, summer sausage. Find a good butcher since they all do it differently.

Grinder for everything but the backstraps. Cook it into your favorite recipes…tacos, spagheti, shepherds pie etc. You will never know the difference. Sear the backstraps on high heat, 1.5-2 min per side, throw in the oven at 350 for 5 min. Pull out and let rest. Will taste better than any beef steak out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Just scrolled through quick, but didn’t see anyone mention to make sure you don’t keep any of the fat on the deer. Deer fat is not like beef or pork fat. gives a bad taste and really weird mouth feel. I hated venison until I started cutting my own and trimming everything. Dog gets the trim meat so nothing wasted. My wife came from a hunting family and never liked deer meat. After trying mine once, she now loves it. Pressure canning is another way to make it taste good. I always like to keep a few jars around for sauce and stew.