How close have you snuck in?

I'm already tagged out and this thread is making me want to head west and look for the brutes that survived the rifle season.

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I'm already tagged out and this thread is making me want to head west and look for the brutes that survived the rifle season.
I was out shooting coyotes last Sunday and saw a stud still pushing a doe. Kinda regretted blowing my wad on the first day of the season. Now my wife doesn’t want to go out for her tag because she’s a fair weather hunter haha.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Not a great quality pic, but I took this right before he bedded 15 yards away from me in the sage.
IMG_20190823_131656_154.jpg

I didn't have any intentions of taking him as I was chasing a bigger buck that year. Hindsight I wish I would have flung an arrow. Here he is later that day.
2019-08-23 18.12.53.png

Oregon

WKR
Some awesome pics in this thread! Very cool! You guys who can consistently stalk inside of bow range on muleys and get it done impress the hell outta me! I've killed a few, but I haven't managed to put all the pieces together in a consistent manner or on a really big one.
The guys who have time to pull out a phone a take a pic impress me. Furthest thing from my mind when I'm in kill mode.

sram9102

WKR
Not nearly as nice of terrain as most of you guys, but we don't get many spot and stalk opportunities here in IN. This guy was dogging a doe and bedded in the beans. Cut the distance to 45 but wasn't going back into the beans with the lack of wind that day. Sat in him for 90 minutes before he stood up then proceeded to shank an arrow on what would have been my coolest story so far.
7285d628245b4cd8022f7c295c9c5764.jpg
a2ed85d671442038b1e6d9d182415f0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Mish-pop

FNG
I have gotten within under 10 yards on closest stalk but I never bring my phone in last hundred or so yards when I drop pack and take off boots. On a buck I want to harvest I stop at my effective range in that moment based on wind and/or other factors. My goal is usually 30-60 yards based on those factors.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Luckily pulling out the phone to take a picture has never screwed me over. I just do it to capture the moment and show my kids. What I won’t show them is how I’ve totally missed gimme shots one way or another haha.

Mish-pop

FNG
That's impressive to be able to take a pic in the moment. I have fumbled enough with my release and range finder that I know it would screw me over to take a pic!

OXN939

WKR
You guys have some wild pics on this thread, props to pulling them off. Was about 22 yards from this dude when I pulled the trigger- broad daylight though as you can see, so it seemed like we cluld have reached out and touched each other. Was kind of like one of those cartoon montages where each significant action gets a freeze frame... cock the hammer, his head comes up into high alert staring a hole through me, then the bang. Never forget that one

Screenshot_20231215_105523_Gallery.jpg

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
1702668019832.png
1702668039820.png
Spotted 2 bucks just below a ridge and stalked in to where I thought they were. When I got to the edge to look down, a cloud was blowing through and couldn't see anything. After it cleared I caught movement less than 10 yards below me. They had already bedded and so began a 2.5 hour wait.
I started freezing my keester off and I decided to start throwing rocks to bump them up before I was too cold to make a good shot.
Unbelievably exciting morning!

OXN939

WKR
View attachment 642629
View attachment 642630
Spotted 2 bucks just below a ridge and stalked in to where I thought they were. When I got to the edge to look down, a cloud was blowing through and couldn't see anything. After it cleared I caught movement less than 10 yards below me. They had already bedded and so began a 2.5 hour wait.
I started freezing my keester off and I decided to start throwing rocks to bump them up before I was too cold to make a good shot.
Unbelievably exciting morning!

Little hard to tell, that a CVA Optima? That's what I tagged mine with hah

Not super close compared to you archery guys but I snuck into under 90 yards directly in the face of this buck. I thought for sure I was busted when I saw him but when I pulled up the binos his eyes were closed haha.

IMG_4745.jpeg

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I've got to spitting distance from a few very respectable bucks in canola or wheat fields. Usually it ends up being too close and they spot movement during my draw. I try not to get closer than 35-40 yards anymore. No need unless for some reason I grab the recurve that day. If I have the recurve I'll typically try to get to 20 and subsequently blow the buck out and grab the compound the next day.

That is impressive to stalk in on a deer to < 10 yards.

I suck.

For you guys who are good, what are the top 3-5 or so pieces of advice you have to be better, or what things do you always make sure to do?

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Not saying I’m “good” but I always make sure to triple check a bucks exact location before I start the stalk. I’ve also had good luck being aggressive and making a fast stalk within 100 yards of the last known location. From there I’ll slow it down.

My biggest issue has been being busted by my top limb movement as I’m drawing. A few shadows of that limb peaking over some rocks has also got me, so I’m more conscious about where the suns at now.