How do floorless guys stay dry???

Muttly

WKR
Run a Bear Paw nest with 8" bathtub floor in a Cimarron. SE Alaska, little paranoid about rain, and the netting keeps the bugs and condensation at bay.
Almost more of a modular tent, but a comfy little home away way way from home out in the sticks.

Bel72

FNG
Hope the OP don't mind me asking in this thread.

I'm looking hard at a small mid, SO Silvertip is high on my list, but I'm a little scared from what I've been reading about condensation in floorless shelters.
Will running a nest in a floorless shelter give you the benefits of a double wall shelter for the sleep area, at a small increase in weight?

It will to a point, add some line locks and pitch the side opposite the wind a few inches off the ground helps a ton

Mudd Foot

WKR
But could someone compare contrast tyvek to polycryo? Am most interested in understanding ease of set-up, ease of staying in place, fragility.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
You guys know a tipi with a nest is a pointy tent right? :) ha
I've used polycro a few times, usually Tyvek though. Polycro is extremely tear resistant, it's the punctures you gotta watch close for. Tyvek isn't really much lighter than a sil groundsheet, but it and polycro are conveniently disposable for using as a meat organizer, etc of course.

ianpadron

WKR
There was a great thread on different ground cloth options last year. I'd search it up.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Hope the OP don't mind me asking in this thread.

I'm looking hard at a small mid, SO Silvertip is high on my list, but I'm a little scared from what I've been reading about condensation in floorless shelters.
Will running a nest in a floorless shelter give you the benefits of a double wall shelter for the sleep area, at a small increase in weight?

The key is to get some type of ventilation/airflow going. Unzip the doors a few inches, stake it higher to allow air to flow underneath, use a stove, etc... It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Also, the Silvertip is an awesome choice! Good luck!

Bel72

FNG
Thanks, I will probably buy a Silvertip and test it during this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

state637

WKR
I run a SO Cimarron and just pitched it in a flat spot. Tyvek ground sheet then pad and bag, had no issues other than a little condensation and that was taken care of with the stove.

shooter77

FNG
I went through several different bivys trying to come up with the perfect solution. I settled on a TiGoat bug bivy when going floorless. It’s the only way I could prevent condensation and still keep my quilt/pad relatively clean. It has a bathtub floor and at 7 1/2 oz l, it weighs less than the nests I’ve considered. It also has a side zip which I quickly determined was mandatory. I’m over 6’ and trying to scrunch up in a ball to get my feet in the bivy/quilt while tucked up under the sloped tent edge was a pain!

Tyvek. And it doubles as a meat tarp when you kill something. Throw it away when you are done. Been in some nasty rain storms and never got wet other than some condensation. Go floor less and you won't go back

bcimport

WKR
Been running floorless here in B.C. for the last 5 years at least. I don’t run tyvek and rarely run a Bivy. Haven’t had any issues. Even if you set up in the rain the ground typically absorbs the moisture and dries out pretty quickly.

JPD350

WKR
But.....what about the spiders.

LOL spiders generally just get flicked off while you are sleeping but sometimes they make it in the ear which makes flicking them off a little more like beating your self up in the dark!
I know that most won't hurt ya but last year in the Gila I was fixing to jump into the sleeping bag and I just happened to see some movement next to the top of the bag and darn if it wasn't a huge black widow....big....black...and shiny!! I have had a lot of bugs on me at night but I can tell you that I was freaked out when I saw her. I have never seen a BW in the woods here in NM but over the next 10 days I saw at least 6 more, I picked up a rock and one was on the rock, I was going to lean against a big juniper and sure enough there was a big BW just waiting for me to lean next to her, it seemed like everywhere I went there was a BW........I am sure that next time I am there I will be thinking of those black suckers.

What is even more bothersome lately is the chiggers that have been moving into the Gila, I would hate to set the tipi on a bunch of those blood suckers which is why I use a Borah bivy and I keep it zipped all the time. The last 2 years I have been eaten alive while out hunting in the Gila but I think it was always from taking naps under trees.

Sorry OP, I know your thread is about staying dry but there is so much more than that.

I have never got wet in the tipi from ground water, condensation rain..... yes I have been wet, I hardly ever leave the liners at home anymore and I also put a lightweight tarp under the sleeping gear just incase

Mike 338

WKR
Tyvek sheet. A stretch of thinner plastic might be better though. Tyvek is kinds thick, bulky and noisy. After a week, I usually look like I was wallowing around in mud. That has more to do with being in cramped quarters more than anything. You just go to a knee when you reach for stuff.