How do my 3 shot 1/4 moa groups look?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is a group of 11 shots, but I could only legitimately find evidence of 10. It’s .89 moa per the app. Not bad for a gunner like me.

Gun is my 6 BRA in the Mini Howa shooting 95 grain VLD hunters. Forgot my chronograph…

If I randomly drew any three shots from this group of 10, what are the odds I could draw a 1/4 moa group? Someone smarter than me can do the math…

I counted at least 8 variations where three different shots would go 1/4 moa. How many could you count?

I have pics of the 3 shot groups I found and will post them up later.

This is why 3 shot groups are statistically irrelevant. At least with 10 shots you can see a pattern. I was testing a new ultralight rear bag and I was having a hard time horizontally. I saw that in the scope. The flyers low and high? I could hypotoI threw them, but I would need more data.

I want data, because it is so easy for me to lie to myself about the gun cause I do like to brag about it.
E731F153-D8FF-40B3-A0DE-FBBDE523F6F0.jpeg

Good shootin!

Looks like they would all kill a deer.

And to me, it looks like you wasted 7 rounds to prove a point that has been beaten to death on this forum for years.

Last edited:
OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good shootin!

Looks like my would all kill a deer.

And to me, it looks like you wasted 7 rounds to prove a point that has been beaten to death on this forum for years.
Lol, I was testing a rear bag, but thanks for the concern about my seven shots!

A little humor back at ya, it has been beat to death but are you just mad I click baited you to look.

Seriously, it popped out to me as being a cool way to visualize random distribution and statistical sampling. Otherwise the posts are all math and stuff. Have you ever seen anyone post up a visual example like this?

Yes, dead deer.

While it has been beaten near to death, it isn’t dead. Or it is a zombie. I am like Frankenstein bringing back the dead!

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What’s the size of your first three shots?
First shot was (edit, furthest one left) and then two of the ones in the center group. Don’t know which they were in that bunch.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd say that the gun definitely has potential, but you are shooting to the left.
You are more correct than you know. My wobble was greatest side to side, and I think that is why I shot left. And, the picture of this group I think represents the true zero of the rifle.

The attached group is the same rifle, same load, but shot off a different bag after a cease fire. Here is a group of 10 I shot with a different rear bag focusing with a hand position that minimizes left to right wobble. I called my bad trigger break on the far right shot, I think it was me that pulled it.

Experimentation is the way to get better when I don’t have a guru watching me.

7609B558-73EA-43C7-A2DF-D9ED09D651D7.jpeg

N2TRKYS

WKR
First shot was (edit, furthest one left) and then two of the ones in the center group. Don’t know which they were in that bunch.
Huh? I mean in the first pic you posted that had the shots numbered. How big was the group of the first three shots?

Vern400

WKR
Putting 10 inside a minute is pretty good. Arguably exceptional. You're close. I'll believe three shot groups if we shoot 4 of them consecutively and claim the biggest one. Even better if they're shot on different days!

Have fun!

elkguide

WKR
People don't realize how much little things matter. In precision shooting they really show up. Simple things like wrapping your shooting hand thumb tightly around the stock, how you hold your breath and how much breath you release before the shot. Looks like you have quite a few of the techniques mastered.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Huh? I mean in the first pic you posted that had the shots numbered. How big was the group of the first three shots?
Oh, yeah, my bad I didn’t keep track of the shot order, I just started putting them into the app in no particular order. I just wanted total group size for this particular test.

My first shot was the furthest one to the left, and then I shot two right next to each other. somewhere in the center cluster.

Did that answer your question?

I will use my scope camera in some of the next ones to keep track of the shot order.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Oh, yeah, my bad I didn’t keep track of the shot order, I just started putting them into the app in no particular order. I just wanted total group size for this particular test.

My first shot was the furthest one to the left, and then I shot two right next to each other. somewhere in the center cluster.

Did that answer your question?

I will use my scope camera in some of the next ones to keep track of the shot order.
10-4.

Last edited:
OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
People don't realize how much little things matter. In precision shooting they really show up. Simple things like wrapping your shooting hand thumb tightly around the stock, how you hold your breath and how much breath you release before the shot. Looks like you have quite a few of the techniques mastered.
You are right, about how so many little things matter.

I definitely would not say that I have anything mastered, this is a light shooting 6 mm BRA that falls in the family of benchrest cartridges that are known to be amazing little shooters.

When I get behind my bigger rifles groups grow.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Anything close to moa or under is good enough for hunting. Any of those shots in three shot groups tells you that.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven’t found a reason to shoot 100 yards other than my initial powder test.
Right on, that’s what most hinters should do. Field positions and at range. My small sample of friends is that most hunters shoot at 100 off the bench too much and need to practice more within the ranges they will shoot.

Without a specific reasons for shooting at 100, it is mostly just poking holes in paper. I shoot at 100 when I want to eliminate environmental variables. Here, I was testing a bag and I also shoot at 100 to work on fundamentals. Some days, it’s just fun to throw lead and enjoy shooting a group and put a smile on my face.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Putting 10 inside a minute is pretty good. Arguably exceptional. You're close. I'll believe three shot groups if we shoot 4 of them consecutively and claim the biggest one. Even better if they're shot on different days!

Have fun!
That’s a great way to evaluate a rifle. I basically do that with my hunting barrels. I don’t like to shoot long strings if I can avoid it.

Looking at all that data is effectively a 12 shot group when you look at all of them together.