how do you dry a bladder?

Mudd Foot

WKR
Balled up paper towels shoved in the bladder works and requires no additional investment while soaking up residual water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bbassi

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up using a air mattress inflater to circulate air in the bladder until it was dry. My bladder only had the one bottle size opener on the bottom.

joelzilla

FNG
I just wipe it down with a paper towel and hang it upside down. Sometimes I forget about it in my pack... If that's the case I put some tablets in it. I used to leave it in the freezer but it tastes weird when using it again.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
What's the best way to dry the inside of a water bladder between trips so I don't get mold (or other nasties) growing in them?
I dry the best i can with a paper towel, then I insert a plastic dry bag "thingy", the keeps bag expanded and allows it to dry

Use plastic coat hanger and air dry for a couple days out of direct sunlight. Then fill partially with rice. Obviously if you put the rice in when it's really wet you're gonna have a problem, but if most of the moisture is already gone, rice will absorb the small amounts left.
Also NEVER add supplements to a bladder. That why most mold starts. Use only water.
Just my experience....

I use a couple paper towels in mine to dry it out. Then place some ping pong balls inside the pouch to keep it propped open, and leave the pouch with the cap off to air out.

Carlin59

WKR
My system is pretty basic. Suck out as much water as possible, shake out the bag (OR dromedary and dromlite, a few Camelbak), then shove the drink tube into the bag. The tube spreads/expands the bag for drying, same as paper towels, coat hanger, or the fancy Camelbak tool you can buy. Then set it out for a few days. Never have had a funny taste with that methodology.

hikenhunt

WKR
I try to rinse the bladder and hose with with tap water after a trip since there should be some residual chlorine in the tap water, then shake the bladder dry and disconnect the hose and mouthpiece. I'll hold one end of the hose and spin it in a circle to fling most of the water out. And I also put the hose in the bladder to hold it open and hang it on a coat hanger until its all dry.

CO-AJ

WKR
Personally, I would throw it in the trash and let it dry out in the landfill. Much rather carry a water bottle that I can monitor water consumption and wash with soap and water.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I've always used the plastic thing made to keep the bladder opened and it has a hook for hanging it. The hose I just hang with the bite valve up. I love the freezer idea! I'm going to try that after this moose hunt. I guess you could shake the ice out after it freezes too? I love all of your ideas!

NB7

WKR
I put two empty paper towel rolls inside to prop it open. It allows air to circulate and kind of has the same effect as stuffing newspaper in a damp boot.