How far before going boneless?

Huntin_GI

WKR
Looking at the coming season and making plans. I got to thinking, how far before you go boneless? So far the only boneless elk I have bothered with was a little over 5 miles. My buddy who is a butcher highlighted about 600 flaws, and since then I have brought everything out bone one. That included a cow shot 4 miles from the truck. I'm trying to find that sweet spot.

Bone-in Pros
-Higher Yield
-Better Steak Cuts
-Easier to hang for drying

Cons
Weight
Volume

Boneless Pros
Weight
Volume

Cons
Yield
Cuts

Am I missing anything else?

WCB

WKR
I debone EVERYTHING including antelope in field. I just don't want to have to deal with disposal after the fact and the benefits of fitting into coolers and not carrying anything extra is a win win.

I see zero difference in yield. When I get home first thing I am going to do is take the bones out anyway. Just me though maybe I am un refined but I could careless if my wildgame steaks are bone in and you won't catch me hauling legs out for Ossodoucho

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t carry an elk bone over a prairie dog mound, let alone a single ridge. Those things are heavy. Boning out probably saves you a whole trip most times. I’m all for going out obnoxiously heavy but I don’t carry heavy things just for fun.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
When young full bone load is all we did fathers camp never took time to bone out, strap it on grunt it out…when went on own still typically packed bone in especially if had at least one or more to partake….now about everything bone out too old to pack anything not eating…

You are going to lose yield if you age your meat boneless for sure, you are going to have all that dried shoe-leather surface area to deal with when you are ready to butcher. If you don't care about aging meat then by all means, slice that stuff up in the field.

I do whatever's convenient for me at the time. If I can drive up to it because I shot a cow on private property or the Jicarilla, of course, bone in. Easier to keep it cleaner. If walking out even a 1/2 mile, either pack frame or game cart, boned out.

ShakeDown

WKR
I have never deboned anything, but have helped pack deboned quarters. Get bone in quarters back to camp, hang ‘em up and let the aging begin.

One underrated aspect in my opinion is bone in quarters are easier to handle and strap. I don’t personally care for an amorphous glob of carne migrating to the bottom of my pack.

I bone out if its over a mile or so but depends on terrain...i also cut the skull.
I like to leave something for the locals to pick at...

Also in open country...taking part of the rib cage and putting it in a sage bush with just the tips hanging out a mile from a good glassing spot is fun as well. muhahaha...get to think about all those shed hunters walking down there just to find a rib cage.

If it is very warm then bone out at any distance.

If you take the time to learn where to cut, you don’t waste any of those roast/steak cuts when deboning. I would t look at that as a con.

On top of that higher yield isn’t something I think keep bone on makes a difference for an experienced butcher.

You are essentially doubling the surface area. You will impact yield unless you just look away and throw everything in the grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
You are essentially doubling the surface area. You will impact yield unless you just look away and throw everything in the grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea if you let it dry flat. You can get both front and rear minus the hocks off in one piece and shape it exactly how it was on the bone. On the rears where you get all your big roasts you have to cut very little into whole muscle. Most of that meat has to be trimmed anyways.

If you just bury the knife and start cutting yes you start to waste. And create more area yourself likely going to have to trim.

S.Clancy

WKR
I have yet to bone one out, and I've packed several now in that 7 miles ish area, with 1000+ ft of gain. I've taken to weighing wet elk bones, and thet average 40-50 lbs an animal, which comes in at 17-25% of the weight packed off the mountain. So, nothing to sneeze at. There may be instances in the future where I bone an elk out, but I have no set rule as of yet.

Also, boning meat introduces bacteria and increases the amount of surface area that bacteria can grow on. Therefore, boning meat makes less sense when bacterial growth conditions are good, ie when temps are warm, which is conterintuitive. I also limit my distances for recovery when temps are high, so packing bones is fine. Its late season elk, far from the truck, that make the most sense for boning out. I'm just too stupid to have done it yet.

I also dont think bone in increases your yield, tho I do think it improves the aging process. There's a reason butchers generally age bone in. Just my .02$

svivian

WKR
I determine if I need to debone based on temperature and time out in the heat, not miles. If the weather is cool enough I leave it boned in regardless of distance.