How far before going boneless?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
for me, depends on air temperatures during the season.
If hot (>60degF) in the woods, it gets boned out, bagged and in the shade or over a shaded creek as quickly, safely as possible. Then into cooler back at vehicle or camp.

Add to your Bone-In Cons: bone retains heat in the meat.

If you know how to separate the muscle groups correctly, you will have very little wasted meat and good yield. Butchered my own since late 80's.

I very much prefer bone in. It allows the meat to "stretch" as the muscles tense. Removing the bones, the meat will still contract but has nothing to pull against. I've found the meat is more tender for the most part if I leave bone in. But this is one of those conversations that doesn't really have a 100% right answer.

It’s about the final product. Every cut you make allows dirt and hair into it. The more you leave things intact the less crap you get in it, the less trimming, the less drying out. You paid all that money and went all that way and busted your ass to find elk and were lucky enough to kill one. Why take your foot off the gas now? A little more blood sweat and tears won’t kill you and in the end you’ll be glad you did.

When I use horses I don’t even remove the hide. Nature’s game bag. NOTHING beats hanging a quarter from a tree in camp and peeling the hide off to expose 100% clean bacteria free meat! Then it goes onto a tarp on the tailgate and fine tooth combed until not a single hair or blade of grass or anything is on it then into the TAG Bags for transport. When it comes to meat care there are no compromises for me. None. Sore muscles come with the territory.

I very much prefer bone in. It allows the meat to "stretch" as the muscles tense. Removing the bones, the meat will still contract but has nothing to pull against. I've found the meat is more tender for the most part if I leave bone in. But this is one of those conversations that doesn't really have a 100% right answer.
I’ve never considered that. I know one thing… everyone I give elk meat to says it’s the best. And then there are the people that eat it before I say….. you didn’t know that was elk did you? 🤣

Bone out unless I can drive to it. I hate packing dead weight. I also don't care too much for the meat. My family and I kill way too much stuff every year to eat it all so most gets donated to friends or FHFH anyway.

wyodan

WKR
10 miles must be the bone out point. I've packed from 9.5 miles with the bone in, so I am guessing 10 must be the bone out start. That's if you are backpacking. I've got animals now, so I never debone.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
For the most part bone out, but the bulls we shoot are in a crap hole. We hang the quarters then cut the bone out, letting gravity do the work. fast and clean
If we are shooting cows, usually <1 from the road, we will leave bone in.

Looking at the coming season and making plans. I got to thinking, how far before you go boneless? So far the only boneless elk I have bothered with was a little over 5 miles. My buddy who is a butcher highlighted about 600 flaws, and since then I have brought everything out bone one. That included a cow shot 4 miles from the truck. I'm trying to find that sweet spot.

Bone-in Pros
-Higher Yield
-Better Steak Cuts
-Easier to hang for drying

Cons
Weight
Volume

Boneless Pros
Weight
Volume

Cons
Yield
Cuts

Am I missing anything else?
I will only go boneless if it will save me a whole trip… besides that, I’m packing bones to get the highest yield

for me, depends on air temperatures during the season.
If hot (>60degF) in the woods, it gets boned out, bagged and in the shade or over a shaded creek as quickly, safely as possible. Then into cooler back at vehicle or camp.

Add to your Bone-In Cons: bone retains heat in the meat.

If you know how to separate the muscle groups correctly, you will have very little wasted meat and good yield. Butchered my own since late 80's.
I find it more difficult to cool big globs of boned meat in game bags… having to keep mixing it up to cool evenly… I know bones hold heat, but the inside of an 80lb glob of meat does worse

Meat is easier to keep from spoilage with the bones left in, in large peices (rib halves, front legs, hind legs, etc). I don't like bags of loose, slimy meat, so other than the neck, backstraps and tenderloins, I don't debone anything.

However, I will sometimes peel rib meat off as an attachment to the entire front leg, but only on deer, sheep and mountain goat.

With all that being said, I won't pack a bull moose much more than a mile, though. Bull elk on the otherhand, I'll spend however many days to move it whatever distance, bone-in.

TheGDog

WKR
Think of your Back/Spine, Think of longevity, Think of your painless future!

Leave the bones there, unless you specifically want them for a particular dish.

If you debone make sure you’re using good game bags. When flies blow through the game bags into deponed meat, picture meat with rice all over inside and out.

Bone in, it would only be on the outside easy to deal with.

Good game bags solve this issue, I.e sheets or pillow cases. Those cheap cheese cloth ones are worthless

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aint carrying no bone.....unless it's like 200".

Randy

That being said, it really would depend on terrain, how I'm feeling, solo or not, weather stuff, etc.
Most likely anything more than 1/4 mile, I'd bone it out. Anything closer than that.....IT DONT HAPPEN!!