How far does scent carry?

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I are thinking of camping somewhere toward the end of a trail going into our hunt area for early season archery. Its the only trail we can use to get in and this spot is toward the southwestern part of our hunt area, where the prevailing winds tend be be out of the west/southwest. The whole hunt area we are looking to cover or pick through is 20 square miles or so with elevations between 8500 - 10,000 (this possible camp spot is at about 9200 ft). Plenty of creek bottoms, and different ridges throughout.

I am wondering if you guys would worry about the wind carrying your scent northeast a mile or more, where most of the rest of the hunt area (and hopefully elk) is at. I know there are thermals at play, and swirling winds, and winds changing throughout the peaks and valleys of the terrain. But in general, do the prevailing winds make that much of a difference in a larger footprint to where we should really be approaching the hunt area from the northeast, more into the supposed "prevailing winds"? Or should we be more focused on wind direction when we are within closer distances of 500 yards or less?

Hunt Area.jpg

More in the 500 yard range, though I bet it's possible wind can travel farther.

Don't camp there if you find fresh sign, think elk might be there, or elk might pass through between good areas for them.

chindits

WKR
Good question. I have seen elk corral up way up in alpine while I have been glassing. I wondered at the time how could they have picked me out or was it scent or was it another predator and I'm just reading too much into it. A dog handler that works area scent or a cadaver dog rather than tracking might provide better answers.

I can tell you that while hunting in the Lee Metcalf, I was on a ridge and watched a group of cows come down the drainage below me. The wind was at my back and blowing toward the cows. I estimated them at a half mile (900 yds) away. I was stunned when the lead cow "hit the brick wall" and whirled, taking the whole group away at a brisk run. It was obvious that she smelled me.

OP
P

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
That is helpful guys, thanks. Looks like I will need to consider moving our camp spot so our scent will be carried off and away from our hunting area, and not potentially through it, even at at longer distances.

If anybody else has had different experiences, would be interested to hear those as well. I never really hear prevailing wind direction talked about when considering the location of a base, spike or truck camp. But then again haven't been doing this very long either.

How busy is the trail/camp? If there's traffic they're probably used to the scent. If you're the first person in that area since last hunting season they'll probably bolt.

Yes their nose is excellent but they can't spend all day every day running from every puff of scent. So to me it comes down to how conditioned are they to humans who are not trying to kill them.

I just pick the best location to camp and camp. I've had Elk come into camp at all hours and bugle, keeping me awake. Went hunting only to come back and find a bull rubbed the tree our tarp was tied to and pretty much destroyed the tarp. Buddy killed one bull right from the tent.
Your scenario, I wouldn't worry.