How is Cabela's Still in Business?

treillw

WKR
I've been a Cabela's Club member for ~15 years. Couldn't tell you the last purchase I made from them.

Extremely rare to have a decent sale anymore. Items are usually priced 10-20% higher than competitors. Their items which are "on sale" typically equal the every day prices their competitors offer.

How are they still a thriving company? Can't see it being too sustainable.

It used to be an awesome store. It's a dirty shame.

Bland316

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a Cabela's Club member for ~15 years. Couldn't tell you the last purchase I made from them.

Extremely rare to have a decent sale anymore. Items are usually priced 10-20% higher than competitors. Their items which are "on sale" typically equal the every day prices their competitors offer.

How are they still a thriving company? Can't see it being too sustainable.

It used to be an awesome store. It's a dirty shame.
It's owned by bass pro, but word is there is a group of investors trying to buy it back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Berger024

WKR
Agreed. Old school 80's and 90's Cabelas gear was quality. Bulkier than today's standard, but for the time they offered really great stuff. Now, it's all made in China self-branded garbage or ridiculously overpriced stuff from manufacturers. It's going to take some serious work from the potential investors to wash the sh*t taste out of consumer's mouths after the last few years of garbage.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
looks like cabelas brought back their microtex line of clothing which is still my favorite hunting pant, but i have yet to check them out. if they are the original fabric there may be hope for cabelas yet.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
My wife is amazed that when we now go to the KC Legends area to shop and asks if I want dropped off at Cabelas the answer is no. They have nothing I can’t find cheaper anywhere else. And price matching is a joke.

I'm currently butt hurt because they can't price match something for me so I can use my points and gift cards that I have stockpiled.

Moserkr

WKR
I was there for fun, didnt buy anything, and saw a tracker 400 atv. Was looking at how they built it and noticed the thin metal front bumper. With my index finger and thumb, i accidentally cracked the corner seam where they bent it, thinking no way i can do that to this thin metal. Well apparently i can lol.

Also checked out a $50,000 tracker boat. What a pile of $hit that was…. Welds were atrocious, fit and finish was sub par compared to a high school shop class. Only thing worth anything was the mercury motor.

We like to tell the story of red head gear my buddy bought when he got into hunting. Inside the jacket was a “100% waterproof guarantee” patch proudly stitched in. After hiking for an hour through one of the worst thunder, lightening, hail, and flash flood downpours we have ever been in, he looks at me and says “im soaked”. Head to toe, drenched, in 32* weather. Luckily we were just hiking in and only a mile from the truck. That trip was cut short by bad gear and now we buy once cry once for the comfort and safety. Havent bought from BP or CB since before they merged after this experience.

Drenalin

WKR
Same reason Dollar General, Walmart, etc are still in business. It may not seem like it on the internet, but a lot of folks still shop there and don't know any different.

Squirrels

WKR
Beef jerky and sunglasses are keeping the ship afloat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked for a large hunting retail store in my younger days. The highest margin product in the store (from a percentage standpoint)….sunglasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk