How is Cabela's Still in Business?

texjitter

Lil-Rokslider
I wish Scheels would move down here. Not a fan of MorrisMart.

We have a Scheel's about 2 hours away and I'll take the family up there once every few months and we might buy a little, but its more just for the experience and variety they offer. The prices aren't any better

Mosby

WKR
Scheels carries quality brands but I miss looking at the used guns and deals in the bargain bin at the old Cabela's.

Jim2914

FNG
The largest revenue generator they have is the credit card business.
I have not been a fan since they moved over 80% of the clothes are now self brand.

I wish Scheels would move down here. Not a fan of MorrisMart.
Maybe getting one in Wichita! One in KC and one in Dallas. I jokingly told one of the guys in the gun dept in Rapid City a few weeks ago to put one in Tulsa, but no joy. I'll take Wichita.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I haven't received a catalog or email from Cabela's in at least a few years now. So as far as I know, they aren't in business anymore. Shame too........because I always loved their bargain cave, and bargain mailers. I've also never bought anything from Bass Pro and don't plan on doing so anytime soon either. Same for Scheels.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
People gotta get their Sitka, Kifaru, and Kuiu stuff from somewhere.

FLATHEAD

WKR
looks like cabelas brought back their microtex line of clothing which is still my favorite hunting pant, but i have yet to check them out. if they are the original fabric there may be hope for cabelas yet.
Microtex was the stuff!!!
But yes, ever since BP (the outdoor Zippy Mart) bought them out, well, they're just another BP.
Which SUCKS!!

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Amazing, I’ve been telling guys how absolutely terrible they’ve gotten but guys argue with me. They don’t even think there’s a price difference. Glad a bunch of you guys agree

bobinmi

WKR
I don't know about the rest of the country, but in west michigan the internet has essentially killed off every decent mom and pop sporting goods store within a 40 minute drive of my house. Cabelas is thriving. I don't ever go there to browse, I typically go there for a specific item that I need now.

I haven't been to a Cabelas for 4 years. They jerked me around on a dove MOJO that I wanted to return. I cashed out my gift cards on a Carnivore meat grinder (which I begrudgingly will say is a beast) and haven't went back. All of my family and friends know my disdain for them, so no one has given me any gift cards since.

I cancelled my Cabelas card about when BP bought them out.

Haven’t looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too. About the time they made you switch CC providers for the 2nd or 3rd time since I started with them.. Used to spend $80k/year on a black card with work expenses.

There's one close to home but cant even find an excuse to go in there anymore.

tdhanses

WKR
The Scheels here in KC I think is doing very well, I never goto BPS/Cabelas and we have 3 combined in this area.

I think mainly tourist shop there.

bozeman

WKR
Cancelled my ‘black’ Visa with them about 3 years ago and haven’t been in a Cabelas since…….down the drain they went quickly and I wasn’t going to hang around and support the had decisions being made business wise……

sndmn11

WKR
I'm currently butt hurt because they can't price match something for me so I can use my points and gift cards that I have stockpiled.
Really? A few weeks ago they priced matched out of stock Sportsman's (last year) price on 1k CCI BR2 primers, and let me get two boxes. All I had to do was pull it up on my phone, the cashier had the manager do the same, and the rest is history.

The one here in Arkansas turned into a Bass Pro and it will price match. I have had them price match guns from Academy and then used other discounts several times.

Dos XX

WKR
They have had shotgun shells in stock pretty regularly and the prices are not ridiculous. I've been burning points on shells.

Also, I bought an Instinct Prairie Runner upland shirt. Looks like a decent piece and the fit is good. I tried the pants but they were too long. They look pretty nice too if you can wear a 32 inseam.

Last edited: