How is Cabela's Still in Business?

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
All joking aside.

Cabelas is still in business so Johnny Morris can sit in his chair and read his long time competitors name being dragged through the mud.

Going to Cabelas used to be an event for my family. Now when someone says Cabelas I just shrug.

I went to cabelas to by some last minute wind checker a couple weeks ago. Ended up having to go to Walmart. It’s terrible.

Jethro

WKR
looks like cabelas brought back their microtex line of clothing which is still my favorite hunting pant, but i have yet to check them out. if they are the original fabric there may be hope for cabelas yet.
I just got a pair of microtex pants to replace a pair that could be 15 years old. I have to exchange them for shorter inseam but they look and feel like the old model. One of my favorite cool weather hunting pant.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just got a pair of microtex pants to replace a pair that could be 15 years old. I have to exchange them for shorter inseam but they look and feel like the old model. One of my favorite cool weather hunting pant.
Hopefully they'll bring back their original Microtex Lite again........with unhemmed inseams of 37" like they used to be. My regular Microtex is doing fine, but my already thin to start with Lite version is wearing even thinner in places.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite back in the day was Herters, then they got bought out and promptly went belly up. Cabelas's snapped up the name and poof...they all suck. I mail order everything now. -WW

Jethro

WKR
Hopefully they'll bring back their original Microtex Lite again........with unhemmed inseams of 37" like they used to be. My regular Microtex is doing fine, but my already thin to start with Lite version is wearing even thinner in places.
I agree, I like the Lite also. But with a 32” inseam. They have something called stretch microtex, but never tried it. Was always surprised when microtex disappeared for a while and no longer carrying Meindl boots. That one surprised me too.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I've been a Cabela's Club member for ~15 years. Couldn't tell you the last purchase I made from them.

Extremely rare to have a decent sale anymore. Items are usually priced 10-20% higher than competitors. Their items which are "on sale" typically equal the every day prices their competitors offer.

How are they still a thriving company? Can't see it being too sustainable.

It used to be an awesome store. It's a dirty

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
It's the same story in any other industry, the billionaires buy out the millionaires, stick it to one's who made them what they are, as they go and buy their next vacation home and cash those bonus checks. Consolidation....

rclouse79

WKR
I attached my kuiu peleton to the outside of my pack and it fell off while I was hunting. I had a $75 cabelas gift card so I replaced it with a cabelas brand jacked that was on sale for $60. I have to say I like the cabelas jacket better and it was half the cost. Not sure if that is a kudos to cabelas or a knock on kuiu. I am sure they are both cheap foreign made crap. I agree cabelas is a tiny shriveled shell of its original self.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
There was a store in Michigan called Lunkers that I used to go to as a child. I loved that store, and it epitomizes what a good outdoor store can be. Big, but not Cabela’s warehouse big. Good staff. Good selection. And, they had the Lunkuarium.
Cabela’s is no Lunkers.

Have been thinking about cancelling my card as well. Used to be awesome. Everything is crap now.

The only reason I keep my Cabela's card is to snag a couple game cameras with points once a year, but I'm pretty close to jumping ship on their card as well, at that point I'll have no reason to shop there. Sad to say most of the local mom and pop shops have lost my business during the plandemic. I live locally to a shop that probably sells more guns nationally than anyone and watching them run everything up because they can will limit the business I send their way as well. Really running out of options these days.

rclouse79

WKR
Survey says discerning outdoorsmen are above Cabelas. Apparently there is a class between Roksliders and white trash walmarters who still get stars in their eyes when they walk in the doors. At least that is my guess as to why they are still in business.

I've been mulling over buying a Camp Chef oven and checked Cabelas first_$324. Went on line and bought the deluxe version for $199. It seems like anytime I check them out their prices are considerably higher than everyone else.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t necessarily mind the high prices if the customer service or experience was great. But it isn’t. I don’t want to paint with a broad brush, as I’m sure some stores are better and you do occasionally meet really nice salespeople. But my experience is going to the firearms and optics section, grabbing a number, and waiting 40 minutes for the 3 employees to help 4 customers. Or wandering around other areas of the store trying desperately to find someone who can answer a question.

I only go there due to poor planning on my part.

I’m glad we got a scheels. I switch over to scheels from cabelas Blk. Much better deal and 1000x better store.

all the big stores are mapped pricing so don’t expect to many discounts, but selection is an entirely different subject. Cabelas can’t even smell scheels they are so far down now. Academy has a better selection then cabelas

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I wonder if Cabela's would care to read what people think of their store. It would be good to forward this thread on to somebody of importance there.

I was a huge fan of Cabela's for many years. When they first opened up in Ft. Worth, I'd drive out there and spend a couple hours inside shopping and browsing the big game trophies. They used to have some great sales, too. And the Cabela's brand actually stood for quality. All of that changed when BP bought them. I hate to sound like some bitter old man, but the store is a shell of its former self.

I actually still have about $600 in gift cards that I have wanted to use for the last few years, but I just don't find what I want there anymore. The final straw was last fall when I went in to return a Cabela's brand set of shooting sticks. It was the 2nd set that had the yoke broke due to cheap metal holding it in place. I decided to get them replaced via the Cabela's Lifetime Warranty. I was told by the cashier and multiple managers that Cabela's no longer honored its lifetime warranty since the BP acquisition even on purchases made when the warranty existed! Absolutely ridiculous. I just need to find something to buy there and burn my gift cards and be done with them altogether.