How large a pack will I need?

I am in the process of planning a 5 - 7 day backpack hunt for my son and I. We will most likely be doing a 3rd season OTC elk hunt in CO. He is currently 13 (will be 14 when we go) but hasn't quite hit puberty yet. I mention that because I anticipate having to pack 75% of our stuff in. The current plan is to backpack in and set up base camp 3-4 miles away from roads in an effort to get away from the masses. I'm currently leaning towards a Redcliff w/stove as I fear freezing our butts off at night will make for a REALLY long trip. Should I be looking in the 6,000 - 7,000 ci range? We are flatlanders and have 0 experience hunting out west so I am having to acquire 75% of the gear we need between now and then...which is going to cost a small fortune :oops:

Carr5vols

WKR
I hate to say it but 3 to 4 miles will not get you away from the masses unless it is straight up or straight down from where you start. I go lite and I can fit everything for me in a MR selway for 6-7 days but there are no creature comforts. Hopefully he can pack his gun, bag, food, clothes for 5 days that should be around 28 lbs if you buy him good lightweight equipment. For you, packing for two go big or go home. Better get a big boy. Read as much as you can on here and dont fall into the trap of duplicating everything or carry what if items. Anymore help I can give you let me know.

EKyhookr

FNG
If I had my first hunt to do over again I would have truck camped or only packed in for three or four nights. Packed in for seven days and being my first time I packed everything and the kitchen sink, it was miserably heavy. The next year went in with enough for three nights and was so much more comfortable and not exhausted by the time we got to camp we actually enjoyed hunting.

OP
Sooner Wing
I hate to say it but 3 to 4 miles will not get you away from the masses unless it is straight up or straight down from where you start. I go lite and I can fit everything for me in a MR selway for 6-7 days but there are no creature comforts. Hopefully he can pack his gun, bag, food, clothes for 5 days that should be around 28 lbs if you buy him good lightweight equipment. For you, packing for two go big or go home. Better get a big boy. Read as much as you can on here and dont fall into the trap of duplicating everything or carry what if items. Anymore help I can give you let me know.
Thanks Carr5vols, I do appreciate it. I think that we are willing to go back as far as necessary, though that's easy to say sitting in front of a computer with no load on your back. My guess is that we will only take 1 gun with us as there isn't much of a point eating 2 tags. Maybe that will change once we figure out what we are doing and experience a little success but I am guessing that will take us a couple of years. The experience of it is what is really appealing to us. Connecting with an animal will just be icing on the cake. If he can't carry 20 - 25 lbs he can stay home.

I'm considering the KUIU Pro 6000 since it is a bit more cost effective than the Kifaru gear. Seems like you can't go wrong with Kifaru but considering we will be luck to do 1 hunt like this a year, I am having a difficult time justifying the expense. I am trying to spend enough to get me in buy one cry once territory but not necessarily the very top of the line stuff.

I also don't want to spend a fortune on gear that he will outgrow in a year...if it's avoidable. I would be interested in decent adjustable bag suggestions for him as well.

Sooner Wing... Where you from? You're not a fellow Oklahoman are you? (the sooner part)

Lots here on stuff like this. scour the different forums (doesn't just have to be the elk or deer forums)
I'm planning a sheep hunt for the future, have learned a lot from this place (others as well)

My suggestion would be go with a bigger bag. It will collapse down if needed, but you can't make it bigger if needed.
Through my research, I settled on two options. The Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 or the new Exo K3's biggest bag. I got the SG. Found it here on the forum lightly used for a good price. I would suggest you try to do the same. Just be patient, one will pop up if there isn't one on here now.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted on your planning and your end results.

OP
Sooner Wing
If I had my first hunt to do over again I would have truck camped or only packed in for three or four nights. Packed in for seven days and being my first time I packed everything and the kitchen sink, it was miserably heavy. The next year went in with enough for three nights and was so much more comfortable and not exhausted by the time we got to camp we actually enjoyed hunting.

Whats the difference between 3-4 nights vs 7 nights other than the amount of consumables? My thinking is that they essential gear is the same regardless of length but the amount of food would be the only difference??? Trying to figure all of this out is a bit like drinking from a firehouse.

Carr5vols

WKR
Lol love the comment about carrying 25 or staying home. Do a lot of reading on here before you buy a pack, if you only do one hunt a year good equipment can last both of you years if you take care of it. There is also a lot of good used equipment on the site. Getting away from people is hard, this year we went 11 miles deep from trailhead and there was a guy across the river from us. If you want to get away from people find nasty steepest stuff you can and you should have alone. Not sure on kids backpacks I would look in the pack section for advice. My son is 15 but he is almost my height so we can use the same pack.

Cody_W

WKR
If I were you I’d pack the Cimarron and not a redcliff if you haven’t bought either. Will save you money, weight, and will have more than enough space for two and a stove. The bag size depends on the gear you plan to pack. 6000 or less cubic inches of space should be MORE than enough space and a day pack for you boy to fit an extra set of base layers including socks, sleep gear, food, and water. JMO though. Good luck to y’all!

Carr5vols

WKR
Whats the difference between 3-4 nights vs 7 nights other than the amount of consumables? My thinking is that they essential gear is the same regardless of length but the amount of food would be the only difference??? Trying to figure all of this out is a bit like drinking from a firehouse.
3 to 4 vs 7 would be food and one extra change of undies and socks for me. Maybe rain gear if it shows rain within the 7 days.

OP
Sooner Wing
Sooner Wing... Where you from? You're not a fellow Oklahoman are you? (the sooner part)

Lots here on stuff like this. scour the different forums (doesn't just have to be the elk or deer forums)
I'm planning a sheep hunt for the future, have learned a lot from this place (others as well)

My suggestion would be go with a bigger bag. It will collapse down if needed, but you can't make it bigger if needed.
Through my research, I settled on two options. The Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 or the new Exo K3's biggest bag. I got the SG. Found it here on the forum lightly used for a good price. I would suggest you try to do the same. Just be patient, one will pop up if there isn't one on here now.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted on your planning and your end results.

I live in Tuttle America. Originally from Moore but all the Tornado's blew me 20 miles West. Boomer Sooner!!!

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would consider a 7000 - 8000 CI plus bag for that. If it was me , I would take our Brooks or Saker for that. However, as others have stated, that may be a bit on the long side. A 3 day trip may be better .. that being said the difference between 3 and 7 days isn't much other than food and you have a better idea of the expected weather.

That being said, I did pack in hunts with my sons one starting at 12 and one at 13. I really didn't baby them much. Of course, the kid matters .. both of mine were pretty big at that age. My 12 year old harvested an elk 3rd day of his first season and we packed it in the dark. I did baby him a little on pack outs until he was more in the 15 -16 age range. Then he got the privs of carrying just as much as everyone ... (and I think that was when hunting started to be less fun as well for him).

Good luck and focus on enjoyment and learning

OP
Sooner Wing
If I were you I’d pack the Cimarron and not a redcliff if you haven’t bought either. Will save you money, weight, and will have more than enough space for two and a stove. The bag size depends on the gear you plan to pack. 6000 or less cubic inches of space should be MORE than enough space and a day pack for you boy to fit an extra set of base layers including socks, sleep gear, food, and water. JMO though. Good luck to y’all!
Thanks for the thoughts. I am leaning towards the Redcliff because I actually have 3 boys (15, 13, and 10). The 15 y/o is more interested in other things ATM but I wanted to be prepared for the possibility of taking my younger boy with us in a few years so I thought a 3 man+ stove tent might be best.

OP
Sooner Wing
I would consider a 7000 - 8000 CI plus bag for that. If it was me , I would take our Brooks or Saker for that. However, as others have stated, that may be a bit on the long side. A 3 day trip may be better .. that being said the difference between 3 and 7 days isn't much other than food and you have a better idea of the expected weather.

That being said, I did pack in hunts with my sons one starting at 12 and one at 13. I really didn't baby them much. Of course, the kid matters .. both of mine were pretty big at that age. My 12 year old harvested an elk 3rd day of his first season and we packed it in the dark. I did baby him a little on pack outs until he was more in the 15 -16 age range. Then he got the privs of carrying just as much as everyone ... (and I think that was when hunting started to be less fun as well for him).

Good luck and focus on enjoyment and learning
Thanks for the suggestion Kevin. Is there a special discount if I purchase a Hot Tent combo and Pack? I was on the site either yesterday or the day before and the SEEK coupon code vanished on me while I was trying to figure out what I need. Just kidding about the coupon code...sort of ;-)

I will look into your suggestions

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey man... I was also a late bloomer when it came to puberty but that didn't stop me from carrying my own gear into the back-country on backpacking trips. I would challenge him to start training to be able to carry his own pack and most of his gear. Sounds like an awesome family opportunity!

OP
Sooner Wing
Hey man... I was also a late bloomer when it came to puberty but that didn't stop me from carrying my own gear into the back-country on backpacking trips. I would challenge him to start training to be able to carry his own pack and most of his gear. Sounds like an awesome family opportunity!
He's been putting in 2 - 3 miles on the treadmill each morning in addition to doing some weights as a starter. Once we get some packs ordered we will get some sand bags in them and hit the bleachers at the HS football field. He's sure to enjoy that lol.

Last edited:

Cody_W

WKR
Exo mtn packs are a great pack that doesn’t break the bank. If you can’t Kuiu running a sale they’re impeccable. I’m running a pro 7800 and ultra 4000 on pro suspension.

MR fan here. I just did an archery hunt 6 days. Went 2 man tent, sleeping bag, pad (saying this because the tent took up alot of room that I think the tipi wouldn't.)

I used the MR Beartooth (5200 cu in) and had room to spare. Your late season will require bulkier clothing and sleeping bag, but I think you could still get it all in the beartooth or on the load shelf. I would consider using a slightly smaller bag with a dry bag on the load shelf.

If you really wanted alot of room the MR Marshall (6400 cu in). But it doesn't come with the newer Guidelight MT frame.

*zap*

WKR
The bigger Stone Glacier bags convert to small bags easily and well. The size difference between Cimarron and bigger shelters is mostly being able to stand up, how important is that to you? I would like to find a used sky 7900 for a good price and I have a 6200 but for winter camping I could use a bit more room...I did find a way to put my MR Mule on it thou....and with the load shelf there is really a lot of room on the 6200.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll throw another vote in for Stone Glacier. I like the layout and the load shelf on the frame is amazing. 90lbs was a breeze in mine. I’m using the Sky Guide which is their 7900cuin pack and I bought it to run 7+ day backpack hunts for bear, sheep, moose and elk. One thing that has helped me trim weight and excess crap is everytime I take the family camping I pack my hunting gear list. Anything not used that isn’t an optic or in the kill kit gets dropped. I’ve managed to cut a lot of excess stuff out that never got touched that way.

And if available, timed workouts on the stairs is much more productive than treadmills in my experience. I certainly feel like I get more out of it. The treadmill just helps with pacing and training myself to walk slower. 138003
This is a Sky Guide compressed.
And this is a Sky Guide stuffed with blankets and kind of cinched down. It was a great improvement over the ALICE and eberlestocks I used to run.

Last thing, I would try to attempt and get under every pack you can for a little bit with some weight (70+lbs). It took me a couple hours to dial in the fit of my SG as I increased the weight from day to day. Good luck with your planning and hunting, I have an 8 year old who is chomping at the bit to go get some spruce grouse. I’m hoping it takes and I can take her as my hunting partner and will be going through what you’re trying to do in just a couple years.