How long will they stay high?

I know its CO and its now legal to be and stay high....I mean wait where is this going?

Anyway I went up for the opening 5 days of the CO season hoping to tag out on a velvet buck I had been watching all summer. Well after a tough 5 days and a couple close calls, I am back regrouping. Anyway about the 3rd day of the season I noticed one of the bucks in the group was hard horned and the others had some really grey velvet going on and weren't far from rubbing off. I found that they started to use the trees at timberline a lot more which mde finding bucks tough! Now that I have a good nights rest and some real food back in my system, I am looking to get back up. In your experience how long will these bucks call the high country, above timberline home? I have until the 29th to get one killed, but would rather not waste the time if they are not going to be high where one could easily glass them up. In the particular basin of focus I had no problem finding doe, fawn and yearling trios (saw 4 groups) but the 2 buck I ended up finding were bedded right in the willows at timberline. Anyone have insight or advice?

They will still be up high till weather pushes them down, they'll just be in the cover much more which makes it tough to find them but isn't always bad with archery.

I'd still be up there just focus your efforts on hunting the cover and edges where they'll browse n be close to their beds. Just gotta hunt a little harder! Good luck!

Mike

banjo

FNG
Hows this for up high

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378519432094.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378519432094.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 208

Foldem

WKR
Bucks were anywhere from 10k-12,400' this week in Central CO. I think they will start moving down into the trees soon as the velvet comes off and the winter coats thicken up. Focus on the avalanche shoots and other smaller openings near where you've been seeing them later in the season.

OP
L
Good stuff guys. I'm going to give it a try again this weekend. If I have a real tough time finding bucks I'll come back Sunday and save my days for the elk.

OP
L
Exactly my concern, great for the elk hunt not so much for the high country mulies.

Be heading out this weekend regardless to help a buddy on an elk hunt where my deer tag "happens" to be good at. Hopefully some of Evan's mojo will rub off on this 6 year archery virgin. I'm beginning to think I forgot how to kill.

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
so did anyone see any bucks above timberline this weekend in CO I saw sheep and elk but didn't see any deer up that high but not my usual place for deer.

Last Sunday I saw about 10-15 bucks above timberline along with about 7 big horn sheep rams only a few hundred yards from where the deer were hanging out, I'm headed back up Tuesday to finish the season, hopefully I'll get one of those bucks

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks good luck I had found a buck earlier but haven;t been able to get up again but hoping to on this fri or sat. was curious if they were still High although today there was snow up on top so we will see.