How many days to do a hunt justice?

Mosby

WKR
Doughnuts are the key to any long drive. Throw a dozen warm Krispy Kreme doughnuts into a truck and I don't care where you are going or how long it takes to get there. Life is good.

Mosby

WKR
After having cancer at 37, my life's motto changed to, " there's not always a next time."

He should go. Where there's a will there's a way.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
My brother and I both were diagnosed with cancer in our 20's. His was really bad. Mine turned out to be an easy fix. Nothing compared to him. Affects people differently. He slowed down. I approach everything in a hurry. I want to be worn out when I'm done.

Marble

WKR
My brother and I both were diagnosed with cancer in our 20's. His was really bad. Mine turned out to be an easy fix. Nothing compared to him. Affects people differently. He slowed down. I approach everything in a hurry. I want to be worn out when I'm done.
Good for you my friend.

It's interesting how everything can be relatively the same, but a change in perspective changes the urgency, order of importance or the reaction to certain situations.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Just go and take the extra time. You won’t feel as rushed and you’ll really be glad you did....my family was worried about the time I’d be gone. Turned from 7 to now 10-12 days every year. The drive is part of the experience as well!

Reactions: LWC

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
5 days is 5 days. What are you even considering. I go on a 3 day hunt if that’s all I had available.
Every elk ever killed was killed on 1 day.

I like to dedicate 7 days of boots on the ground minimum.

I have NEVER killed an animal on the first day of a big game season.

I have killed a PILE on the last day.

Mosby

WKR
I killed a 6x6 last year on opening morning. I have killed elk and deer on the last day too. Elk don't know what day it is. Hunting is hard work, expensive, inconvenient and time consuming. There are always reasons not to go hunting and people telling you not too. I wouldn't turn down a backpack hunt in Montana and I would do whatever I had to do to make it work.

mtnlomo

FNG
Absolutely go! I killed my first archery elk after driving 8 hours through on Friday night after playing in both the JV and varsity football games as a sophmore, while my dad slept because he worked a full shift. Slept two hours and I punched a tag on a cow shortly after first light, the next day my dad shot a bull and I was home by Monday morning for film and weights!

Best of luck to you, your friend, and your family.

I would do it in a heartbeat. If this is your first hunt out west then next year you will save more time for the trip, it's addicting. But if at all possible squeeze a couple more days in. We routinely drive during the night after working all day to gain hunting time. Just know your limits. An hour cat nap in a roadside park can save your life!

Leave Friday after work, drive through the night, you're packing in the next afternoon.

Hunt Sunday through Saturday AM, pack out. That's 6+ days.

Leave as early as you must to make it home Sunday before the kids go to bed. Show up to work Monday exhausted, and happy. All your coworkers will be jealous.

If you kill on Saturday, welp, sure sucks to have "car trouble" on the way home, but I'm sure your boss will understand. :)

A few years ago I killed a buck solo on Sunday morning, got him taken care of, drove all the way home to KS from MT all through the night and was to work Monday morning with about 30 minutes of "laying down." Had the jitters all day. Was worth it.

DLP

FNG
I have went on hunts where I only had 5 days of actual hunting but I normally try to stay 12-14 days if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
I once drove 5 hours each way to hunt the last evening of bear season in Northern CA. Hunted for almost three hours. Had a blast. Hunt when you can, while you can.

go_deep

WKR
I drove 12 hours overnight, got dressed on the side of the truck an hour before light, filled my tag 2 hours after light, sleep for a few hours and drove 12 hours back home. I was only gone for like 35 hours total.
I generally have never regretted going hunting.

A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there’s no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

Thanks for any input and advice!

Of course the more time the better.. but if 5 days is all you can swing, go hunt!

dsayer

FNG
A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there’s no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

Thanks for any input and advice!

I just got home from a 13 hour drive with 2 kids (5 and 3) to see my mother, my sister, and her 4 kids in Iowa for 3 days. Two young guys should absolutely drive 15 hours to hunt elk for 5 days if that's all you got.