How many years before you got your first bull?

rayporter

WKR
first hunt with my neighbor we each killed one. lot of work and unprepared.

second time we each killed one. a little more prepared.

we never shot 2 again for the next 35 years. if one was down we got it out first. them big black smart pills work. lol

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
My first bull took 6 years - hunting and learning in two different units. took a while of just being overwhelmed with the amount of area to cover and learn. But once comfortable hunting in the area it has got easier in finding Elk holding areas. Just need to explore the unit as much as possible preseason and during the season. Hunting the same unit multiple times definitely helps get you to the comfort level needed. Every year keep moving within the area to learn more. Not only where the elk are hiding but where other hunters like to camp so you can put together a strategy to where they might push elk. I always mark other hunters spike camps or hunting locations so I can add them on my google earth map, this gives me a good idea of where elk may be pushed to by knowing where others are hunting.

CCooper

WKR
Went 0 for 20 with a rifle, saw a lot, packed a lot, but so unlucky it wasn't funny. Party went 7 for 8 one year and I was the goose egg. My best buddy talked me into archery, killed one my first season with a bow. Been hooked ever since. Nothing like chasing bugling bulls in September!

Starting hunting at 16 got my first elk at 19
Had a 5 year gap before i shot my next bull. then was able to harvest 4 in a row until last year. Had a baby and only got out for maybe 14 days total compared to 60+ days in the field. I’m excited for this season coming up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
3 archery seasons for my first bull last year. Hoping to continue improving upon that number!

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle cow my first year at 12, archery cow the next, then my first bull was archery at 15