How many years for your first archery elk kill?

How many years for your first archery elk kill?

Votes: 16 33.3%

Votes: 9 18.8%

Votes: 7 14.6%

Votes: 2 4.2%

Votes: 5 10.4%

Votes: 3 6.3%

• 8+

• Total voters
As with most things in life, to be successful you have to put the time into it.....

It is hard to be beat putting boots on the ground(scouting) to learn an area. This is hard to do for a lot of hunters that do not live in elk country.

I would not be surprised if a high percentage of the ones that killed elk in the first 3 years either live in or near the western states, have hooked up with an experienced elk hunter, or hunted elk with a rifle for a number of years prior to taking an elk with archery equipment.

As everyone knows, hunting elk with archery equipment is tough.....the wind in most cases is not your friend.

I'm pretty new to archery and just finished my second year chasing elk in the mountains of MT. Seems like every time I go out I learn something new and had so many more encounters this year, just nothing I could shoot. I've read a few places that on average, it takes archers 7 years to get their first elk. Based on how much more I was into elk this season, I have a feeling next year I'll get one down. So for for all of you archery elk hunters, how long did it take you to arrow your first elk?

Two years and counting. First year I found elk. This year I got to within 60 yards of two bulls. Next year will be the one!

Back