How much are u saving by reloading

T28w

WKR
I tried searching as I figured it has been discussed but didn’t find much.

Anybody care to chime in about how much u can save reloading. To keep things simple let’s not count cost of the equipment. I was looking at a box of Barnes TTSX for $50ish in 300wsm. If I just wanted to duplicate the factory load what would it cost. Is there a general rule here like 20% or 30% less than similar factory load.

I also understand cost savings is not why most reload.

I dont save much on my rifle hunting loads, but I save a TON on pistol and shotgun shells.

I can shoot 9MM cheaper than I could even buy .22 shells.

I make my own bullets and drop my own shot.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there is a rule, but if you break it down it's fairly simple math.

My 25-06 I load Barnes 100 TTSX. It ends up being just shy of like 90 cents a shot with no brass cost.
My 6.5 Creedmoor I load 143 grain ELD-X. It ends up being roughly 62 cents with no brass cost.

I did a quick calculation on Barnes recommended powder and used local prices here and online for bullets and I got a rough cost of like $1.07 per shot with no brass cost for a 300 WSM 165 grain TTSX.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
The cost savings is one thing. The ability to have the ammo you want, that shoots great in your rifle, when you want it, is also worth something too. That being said I would agree with previous post that rifle may not be huge savings but handgun ammo for sure is roughly half the price. Provided you don't pay inflated prices for components. (like what we are currently seeing)

Jbehredt

WKR
I think it’s like fly tying. If you actually assembled all of your components you would be money ahead per round or per fly. The things is you end up sitting on piles of supplies that cost more than you would have actually spent on ammo or flies. Then you die and your family gives it all away for free or pennies on the dollar. If you’re doing it to save money..... don’t. Unless that’s the story you need to tell your wife.

Rich M

WKR
Imo, you get premium hunting loads for the price of target ammo.

You pay anywhere from. 20 to $2 for a bullet. Brass costs $1 but can be used say 5 to 10 times. Primers used to cost pennies. Powder runs about $0.20 to $0.50 per rifle shell. I get about 150 rounds per pound..

Reloading 9mm handgun ammo is pennies on the dollar vs factory.

Don't forget the value of your time... It's fun but takes time.

So, getting set up will run say $500. You need to recoup that as you learn. Then you save money and shoot more.

Right now it's tough to find ammo or reloading stuff. Tough to decide what to do.

peterk123

WKR
357 mag costs me $14 per 100. Under normal conditions I think it would cost $60 to purchase.
9mm costs me $11 per 100. Under normal conditions it was $34. Today????
45/70 405 grain costs me about $35 per 100 I am going to cut that down to around $15 I think because I am going to pour my own lead. It would cost me $200 per 100 under normal conditions.

But the cost is not why I do it. It is the ability to play with my loads. 45/70 is a great example. I have a super light load that even a child could shoot. Then I have one that would blow your shoulder off. Then there is the accuracy part. I also reload for 308. It has helped me to find what works best for me and my gun.

You also tend to have a much larger inventory when you reload, so during crazy times like this you probably will not run out of ammo for at least a year, even if you shoot every weekend. I am getting a bit uneasy now though because I am running out of primers, only about 2000 left. I have learned a valuable lesson. As soon as there is inventory again, I will spend a couple grand on primers and powder. I have enough brass for a lifetime, and plenty of bullets and/or lead, at least for a couple of years :)

I think unless you shoot a bunch, you won't be saving, likely cost you more. Bit you can have rounds tailored to your firearm. If I can buy ammo that works well with a gun, I do. I load for guns I don't find acceptable shelf ammo for.

Shotguns I load things you can't purchase. Also run of the mill dove/target loads since I have the stuff, but once you figure the value of your time you definitely aren't saving anything.

Squincher

WKR
Reloading to save money is akin to buying a motorcycle to save money. Neither works out that way in the end. But there are many reasons other than saving money to reload and buy motorcycles.

Wapiti1

WKR
Really depends on the cartridge. I don't bother with some cartridges like .308 or .223. No payback for my time on those.

.300 Win Mag, 28 Nosler, .340 Weatherby, I see some savings.

.416 Rem, .458 Lott, .375 FL Mag, I see a lot of savings. Especially for practice ammo where I can load cast bullets and low powder charges for these.

Jeremy

OP
T

T28w

WKR
I don't think there is a rule, but if you break it down it's fairly simple math.

My 25-06 I load Barnes 100 TTSX. It ends up being just shy of like 90 cents a shot with no brass cost.
My 6.5 Creedmoor I load 143 grain ELD-X. It ends up being roughly 62 cents with no brass cost.

I did a quick calculation on Barnes recommended powder and used local prices here and online for bullets and I got a rough cost of like $1.07 per shot with no brass cost for a 300 WSM 165 grain TTSX.

Thanks. This what what I was looking for

6.5CM

Hornady Brass - 60 cents each if you pay retail. Assume you can reload them 5 times, = 12 cents.
Powder - 1# jug = $30, ~160 41.5g charges = 19 cents
Hornady 143gr eldx - $35/box of 100 = 35 cents
Primer - 4 cents

That equals 70 cents per round. Can get that down a little by buying once fired brass, bigger jugs of powder, etc.

Hornady precision hunters are $38 per 20.. $1.90/round.

OP
T

T28w

WKR
This ^^^^ is where your savings kick in. The more you can reuse your brass the greater your savings.

Is it reasonable to get that many reloads from good brass if you aren’t pushing hot loads.

The two example given suggest u could be about half the price of comparable factory ammo.

Lawnboi

WKR
Savings per round is good. But not when you factor in equipment costs.

Biggest benefit is having 8lbs of powder, 1000 bullets and brass all of the same lot, making consistent ammo throughout.

Wapiti1

WKR
Is it reasonable to get that many reloads from good brass if you aren’t pushing hot loads.

The two example given suggest u could be about half the price of comparable factory ammo.
I have some .243 brass that has 20+ loads on it. Depends on your brass care process. Don't full length size if you don't have to, and anneal diligently every couple of reloads.

Jeremy