How much to tip

sasquatch

WKR
To the people against tipping. How much do you make? Prob ALOT MORE.

I also bet maybe not you in particular, but many in your position cry they underpaid.

I see it all the time in my industry (refining), a bunch of lazy cry babies making wayyyy more than they worth, (just happened to get lucky and fall into a job) cry about tipping and food delivery fees with the food that gets delivered to them at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My favorite (enter sarcasm) are the restaurants that build the tip into the price, advertise they are paying "living wages" yet still have a tip line on the bill to try to still get you.
That's a function of the software system.

The American system is so built around the service industry getting tipped, that you can't turn it off in the computer systems they use.

Simon1523

FNG
Understand most folks here are self guided but I’m headed on a CO guided elk hunt and have no idea what I should tip the guide? Do you tip by % of the hunt cost?

Seems to me that 20% which seems to be the standard for a dinner would be a little outrageous no matter how good of a job they did. Need help here.

thanks

10% minimum

MattB

WKR
Maybe off of their profits?
Do you think those come from the money tree? Either way, the customer is paying 100% of the employee's salary.

I like having a payment construct that provides me discretion and aligns the employee's interest with my own.

I see it as a built in motivator for anyone who has employees in the service industry. I would argue the statistics are in your favor as an owner operator that your employees (waiters/waitresses, guides etc) will work harder if a tip payment system is used for payment as opposed to a standard salary position. Most, though not all, will work harder with a tip system as the earning potential is higher. And if they don’t, it’s easier to weed the less motivated out. Either by their choosing or yours, but usually theirs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
$9/hr? That's big money!

You can't possibly think that's a good wage.

No it’s a terrible wage but it’s not 2.13, it’s minimum wage. I do believe though that the people doing those jobs are there by choice. Nobody is making them be a server. They can go do something else, especially here in AK. If you can actually show up and work you can find a better gig.

Reactions: Ope
If I ever go on a guided hunt I'm telling the guy to include my tip in the price.

I dont want the awkwardness when I get there or when I leave. lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you think those come from the money tree? Either way, the customer is paying 100% of the employee's salary.

I like having a payment construct that provides me discretion and aligns the employee's interest with my own.

I think it’s high time that businesses start taking the financial hit and actually paying their employees rather than having agreed upon prices then expecting people to shell out even more. Not that it matters but this thread is making me draw my own personal line. I’m not tipping anymore. That shit stops now.

Yoder

WKR
I don't have a problem with leaving a tip at a restaurant or even at a hotel for the cleaning staff. I generally leave 20% for a server and maybe $20 for the hotel staff. The amount of money for a guided hunt is crazy. If I have to tip the guide, what am I paying for? I've only been on one guided hunt. I took both of my sons on a pig hunt for their graduation. The guide owned the business. I already paid him for the "hunt" and it sucked. Since he was the guide and the owner I didn't leave him a tip. If he had a separate guide I probably would have left him $100 just to be nice.

sasquatch

WKR
I think it’s high time that businesses start taking the financial hit and actually paying their employees rather than having agreed upon prices then expecting people to shell out even more. Not that it matters but this thread is making me draw my own personal line. I’m not tipping anymore. That shit stops now.

So punish the worker? Sounds like a great plan

TomJoad

WKR
Enter the alpha class MBA with the storied entrepreneurial experience

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Enter the alpha class MBA with the storied entrepreneurial experience

I’m never claimed to be any of those things. But I will no longer pay the wages of people who should be getting paid by the employer.

In fact I went and bought a coffee an hour or so ago, I paid the listed price and didn’t add a tip.

sasquatch

WKR
Well right now, it’s the customer who’s getting punished. That does not sound like a great plan.

You think every single person in the country has options to just do something different?

Good jobs out there have unlimited open positions?

How about look at it differently. Tips probably overall lead to better service, as then it’s a you for quality system!!

You think when checks are about guaranteed people will be more or less productive?

And also, the customer pays no matter what, if the business pays more the cost is passed on to the customer.

You’re living with blinders on

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You think every single person in the country has options to just do something different?

Good jobs out there have unlimited open positions?

How about look at it differently. Tips probably overall lead to better service, as then it’s a you for quality system!!

You think when checks are about guaranteed people will be more or less productive?

And also, the customer pays no matter what, if the business pays more the cost is passed on to the customer.

You’re living with blinders on

All the same, I’m done tipping. I’ll pay the prices listed as well as applicable taxes and that’s that.

MattB

WKR
More like "the spit starts now" (in the food you order the second time after not tipping the first time).

You should stop paying you income and property taxes as well, just on principal. Stick it to the man.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
More like "the spit starts now" (in the food you order the second time after not tipping the first time).

You should stop paying you income and property taxes as well, just on principal. Stick it to the man.

Nobody is going to be spitting in any food.

Reinhb06

FNG
I agree, in the past always based on the experience of the guide and how much work they are putting in! A tip is an added bonus that they should earn. 10% is a decent start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk