How much to tip

Sizthediz

WKR
What if it was a drop camp, that required an hour plane ride in and out, that the owner of the company was the pilot of.
It's not a drop camp it's more of show they show you areas of stands and you go hunt. If you choose to move or set a new stand you can
And I'm not against tipping the guide just curious of range for something like that
I was taught very early by a mentor about tipping
We would go to lunch and the waitress would have 2 beers waiting on the table for him.

Thanks guys, I used a transporter a couple years ago for caribou, he provided, tent and cots and flights. I tipped him because I felt like he went the extra mile to make me feel like I was not one of his lesser camps. He offered fully guided trips as well, and those guys were around the same fire ring as I was a couple nights. I never once felt like I was treated differently than the guys paying 4x what I was.

I have another trip planned for later this year, same exact scenario. I just like gauging other people's thoughts on gray area items. I imagine, if I receive the same amount of attention as I did on my caribou hunt, my transporter will get tipped accordingly.

Serious question. If you’re going off of a % then obviously the more expensive the hunt the more the guide gets tipped. A 6k elk hunt guide that worked his ass off gets $600, vs a 50k sheep hunt where the guide gets 5k. Assuming similar effort, days, etc how do you justify that?
I had a similar thought, with a different context.

20% is kinda the standard for waitstaff/bartenders.

But I like little dive bars more. I tend to tip significantly more in places like that. Usually in the 40-60% range.

I enjoy myself more, and spent less, so the budget has more available.

Understand most folks here are self guided but I’m headed on a CO guided elk hunt and have no idea what I should tip the guide? Do you tip by % of the hunt cost?

Seems to me that 20% which seems to be the standard for a dinner would be a little outrageous no matter how good of a job they did. Need help here.

thanks,
Generally anywhere from $500-$1500 depending on how you feel about the hunt and how hard the guide works. Understanding that guides dont have critters “tied up” and in my case its still public land hunting. Deer, elk, or whatever the target is go where they want to go. Harvest success or not if you had a fun and a good time thats 90% of it. when I've been hunting personally harvesting is just the cherry on top.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a fully guided hunt, which I've never been on- but will be in 23 :), I leaning towards the $100/day figure- maybe $150/day if the guide really goes the extra mile

I'm still scrimping and saving for the hunt, 20% tip on the cost of the hunt would not be feasible in my case

I get what you are saying but don’t restrict yourself to it. Just be flexible, you can’t plan for all scenarios nor do all scenarios goes as planned. I dropped my trophy bull moose of anyones lifetime 30 mins into the hunt on the 1st day. No way in the world I even considered tipping the guide $100-150 for 1 days work.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my case it's a 10 day hunt, so even if I tagged out day 1- I'd still hunt for another 9 days (well maybe one day of rest at the lodge :D) for caribou or grizzly- so $1000-1500 for the hunt. I'd love to be able to tip $5000 for a good guide, but that's not realistic (well maybe if that aunt I never heard of that passes away and wants to leave me here inheritance!)

2five7

WKR
For a fully guided hunt, which I've never been on- but will be in 23 :), I leaning towards the $100/day figure- maybe $150/day if the guide really goes the extra mile

I'm still scrimping and saving for the hunt, 20% tip on the cost of the hunt would not be feasible in my case
The "per day" tippers are the worst, don't punish your guide because he's good at his job and got you your animal on day one. If you can't at least make the 10% standard, push it off another year and save more. It's like saying you can afford to go out to a very nice, high dollar restaurant for dinner, but you can't afford a decent tip.

If you don't believe in the tipping model, tell your outfitter you'll pay extra for the hunt, and he can pay the guide (and Uncle Sam) more.

JLMUELZ

FNG

Im right there with you. I am going with Luke this August on my first ever guided hunt and when I book I never even thought about a tip on top of the hunt price. I like your idea of $100/150 a day. Like you, I wish I could afford more but that is pretty unrealistic.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You stated that you can't afford a guided hunt and apparently you're too poor to tip your waitress. So it's probably fair to assume you got a stimulus check.

I employ people in an industry where it is normal to tip. Any time we have customers like you, I ask them to shop somewhere else. Our employees don't "expect" a tip and won't treat you poorly if you don't. But, I don't want my employees to have to deal with people who think they are somehow better than someone else.

In an earlier post, you stated that someone working a job where they count on tips made poor life choices. Seems like an incredibly ignorant thing to say IMO.

Why don’t you pay your employees more rather than expecting your customers to pay part of their salaries?

jimh406

WKR
Why don’t you pay your employees more rather than expecting your customers to pay part of their salaries?

Probably because most of his customers understand how tipping works and conform to the standard. To pay his employees more and not have tipping, the cost of the meals would go up. In some countries, not tipping is standard, but that's not the US.

There are a few restaurants that are moving to no tipping model, but even in that case, you'll never know if they are paying their employees more or not.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Probably because most of his customers understand how tipping works and conform to the standard. To pay his employees more and not have tipping, the cost of the meals would go up. In some countries, not tipping is standard, but that's not the US.

There are a few restaurants that are moving to no tipping model, but even in that case, you'll never know if they are paying their employees more or not.

Maybe I’m getting grumpy and old but I’m pretty against tipping. In AK, servers make over 9 dollars an hour rather than those low 2.13 server wages. It just seems stupid, look at a menu, see the price but that isn’t actually the price? I don’t do guided hunts but the tipping part is a big turn off for me, you’re paying thousands of dollars and now giving even more money to pilots and guides. I’d be 100% ok with prices being a bit higher and ditching the drama except restaraunt a and bars are already making a killing of selling food and drinks.

MattB

WKR
Where do you think the employer would get the funds to pay their employees more if not from customers - a money tree? Customers pay 100% of employee compensation whether or not tips are involved as a component of the compensation structure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Where do you think the employer would get the funds to pay their employees more if not from customers - a money tree? Customers pay 100% of employee compensation whether or not tips are involved as a component of the compensation structure.

Maybe off of their profits?

Yoder

WKR
Guide here. Total tip of 15-20% of the total cost of the hunt. About 3/4 of that given to the guide, with the balance going to cooks, housekeeping, etc.

Nothing is more frustrating than guys that save up for a guided hunt without budgeting for a tip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Nothing more frustrating than dropping $10k on a hunt and having people expect a tip.

ToolMann

WKR
Maybe I’m getting grumpy and old but I’m pretty against tipping. In AK, servers make over 9 dollars an hour rather than those low 2.13 server wages. It just seems stupid, look at a menu, see the price but that isn’t actually the price? I don’t do guided hunts but the tipping part is a big turn off for me, you’re paying thousands of dollars and now giving even more money to pilots and guides. I’d be 100% ok with prices being a bit higher and ditching the drama except restaraunt a and bars are already making a killing of selling food and drinks.
My favorite (enter sarcasm) are the restaurants that build the tip into the price, advertise they are paying "living wages" yet still have a tip line on the bill to try to still get you.

$9/hr? That's big money!

You can't possibly think that's a good wage.