How Often Do You Clean Your Rifle?

Wiped down and oiled during season. One deep cleaning per year for the most part. Deer season closed January 31st. I pulled stands the weekend that followed. I started cleaning rifles the next weekend. Four for the grandchildren, one each for the son and son-in-law and four that I hunt with. They all get pulled from the stock and cleaned internally as well as bore. I finish my cleaning by removing the slings, cleaning the glass and running a lightly oiled patch down the bore. Then they all go into the safe until fouling and verifying zero next hunting season. We all shoot throughout the year with our 10-22’s, SKS’s and AR’s and they get cleaned as needed. It usually takes me a couple of weeks as I do it at night before the time changes. I actually enjoy it and it occupies my time after season and before the yard work begins. As you can see I am somewhat OCD about my rifles. BTW I let the grands help and they are learning. No bore snake in my bore!

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
1-2 times a year if I’m feeling stir crazy. Keep bolt/action/exterior clean but only do a deep multi-hour cleanse that 1-2 times a year. Clean my shotgun once every 3-5 hunts. My rifles just don’t need the cleaning

Maverick1

WKR
I’m kind of simple. I clean the rifle after I’m done shooting. Which isn’t particularly frequent since I’m primarily a bow hunter and rarely shoot or hunt with a rifle anymore. It’s really so infrequent that I shoot a rifle that I generally clean it when I’m done just to make sure it gets cleaned once in awhile.

Enel

FNG
This question has been over flogged but here we go again, when you feel there too many carbon them that’s the right time. If you carry a handgun then I would say more often.

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
I only clean in Nov/Dec when the season's over. I'll shoot 400-500 rounds through a .308 in a summer and it never gets too dirty to where accuracy is affected

Decent take that seems to be in-line with what most people here are saying.

I clean when accuracy degrades or its been a long time. Depends powder your using too. Some powders are dirty and carbon foul. I don't keep record of rounds fired, but I clean a month or two before hunting season.