How old is too old?

Im 63 and I chase quail and chukar at 4000ft behind my dog. I am feeling it now but I drive on, its those steep slopes wearing a vest with water for the dog and gear that wind me. I cant see me not upland hunting out west...

Rich M

WKR
Just play it careful. Your body will tell you what not to do. You can do it, just not like 20 yrs ago.

Go slow, go easy, don’t let yourself get hurt. Good advice for all ages.

Too many guys our age hobbling around cause they dove for a softball or pushed too hard for a football. Crippled for a pat on the back and a beer. Needing knee, hip surgery for a pass-time is irresponsible or the result of a significant accident. Both can usually be avoided with some thoughtful consideration.

Mid-50s here.

Yarak

WKR
I'll be 55 in August and live in the Deep South where we have deep hollows (hollers) and high hills and not much in the way of mountains
When I take a trip out west to hunt mountain country my prep always starts two months before using a training mask and 30lb weight vest
Walking several miles a day up and down hill works with cardio and helps to shed a few pounds as well as build and strengthen muscle
I've never had any trouble beyond my usual ailments and its all because of smart preparation well before.
There is always that unforeseen thing that can happen that no prep youve done will help
Life happens so Enjoy it as long as you can

Crusader

WKR
Just play it careful. Your body will tell you what not to do. You can do it, just not like 20 yrs ago.

Go slow, go easy, don’t let yourself get hurt. Good advice for all ages.

Too many guys our age hobbling around cause they dove for a softball or pushed too hard for a football. Crippled for a pat on the back and a beer. Needing knee, hip surgery for a pass-time is irresponsible or the result of a significant accident. Both can usually be avoided with some thoughtful consideration.

Mid-50s here.
Very true. Two summers ago I (then 62 y/o, good athletic history and in good shape) was talked into playing pickup volleyball at a family reunion. A nephew on my team poorly executed a spike and the ball smashed into my thumb. I thought it was just badly jammed. It didn't heal/recover when it should have so I went to the ortho doc. Ended up being a badly torn ligament and I had to have it surgically fixed. Anyway, I'll echo the point above, "weekend warrior" sports are just not worth the risk for the fun/pride aspect, just say no!